Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA : New Medieval Castle : Beta v 0.1 - Walls

Started by RedKetchup, April 21, 2015, 07:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Quote from: michbret on May 12, 2015, 02:57:00 PM
Hello Redketchup,

I am amazed. You are really good (and fast!) at modelling.

Some time ago I just made a suggestion about moat or canal around your nice walls (douves) and you have built a new world from this idea. Wonderful work since you also solved the water level problem (with some help from Kralyerg if I followed everything).

The only very little problem I see with your work is only aesthetic. As far as I can understand, Luke has used some greyish texture for the water and, I assume, particles effects.

This creates some transition in colour and in effect between the legacy river waters and you canal waters. According to your screen captures, your water have also a small tiling look (carrelage).

Solving the transition created by particles effect is probably very difficult. But basic texture (color) is probably easier.
Did you look after some texture that could smooth the transition between standard in game water and your nice system of inland waters.

For example, http://texturelib.com/#!/category/?path=/Textures/water/water is giving free of right several textures whose greyish look could better match the basic in-game water look.

That's just a suggestion and I have no idea about how the game would render this.

By the way, many thanks for your excellent work. I am really enjoying it each time I play Banished.

Merci

Michel

yeah.particles..... any attempts resolved in crash. but i m not surprise cause the game doesnt support building animations. and having a river flowing... is kinda an animation.
the only animation we can add to a building is a smoke dummy ^^

the color (the texture.png) comes from a screenshot of the game i made. a screenshot over a lake. i made 5-6 attempts to get a nice texture. but i can try to redo 3-4 other attempts over a river if you want me too.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

i made like 30 more attempts they all way worst to ugly

that one is the less worst i ve got
(pass 2-3 hrs on that)

Fellow Villager

less worst?
maybe you have a different concept of ugly than me  ;D

RedKetchup

i mean the less worst of all the 30 i tried yesterday, the other was ugly.

if you compare that one and the one i used in all my screenshots ... which one you prefer ? that one ? or the one i had since 2-3 days ?

-----------
btw i made all those ugly fishies myself lol

rkelly17

A canal fishing dock! Outstanding! I was wondering whether those people on the first dock picture were doing something useful or just hanging out and admiring the view. As to the water, the ultimate test is what it looks like where it enters the river or lake, but one thing I notice is in the screen shot from several days ago the water looks like it curves down into the side of the canal but the most recent screen shots it looks flat. That, I would say, is an improvement.

One way to deal with the contrast between canal water and lake/river water might be to have an a "start" piece with something like a lock gate on the river/lake end with the gate closed. Canals have locks anyway, so it wouldn't be out of place. There would be a bit of an aesthetic/realism problem since the merchant would just plow through the closed lock like it wasn't there. Having a lock might also be a way to deal with height differences between adjacent pieces of the canal--or is that not a problem?

By the way, it strikes me that, since merchants will use a creek/stream to get to a TP, one could build a canal either from or to a creek to get merchants into a lake. How would that look in a screen shot?

While it would definitely be nice to have a TP in the canal, for me that is not a deal killer. After all, the point of the canal is to get merchants from the river into a lake that would otherwise be inaccessible, so I would just build TPs around the lake. The canal fishing is an added bonus.

Are you thinking of having the canal system as a separate mod or as part of the Medieval package? My vote would be for a separate package--just because I like to pick and choose and prefer not to have my game full of mods that I'll never use just because I want one or two items in a package. That's why I didn't use the original Fountain Mod or don't use CC: Too much stuff I don't want even though parts are really nice. That's just my opinion, of course, so you are free to ignore it.

michbret

Hello Redketchup,

I didn't intend to lead you into a lot of work with this texture topic. Drop it when you want. Your work is already amazing.

About texture, if you use a screen capture of a game you will get all the effects of the graphic processing chain (DX or OGL engine the AA filters, anisotropic, morphologic,...).

I think that it is better to start from a real picture (taken with a true camera) and that's why I suggested this web site (hundred's available) where the author claims to use camera pictures to be the basis of texture like these in http://texturelib.com/texture/?path=/Textures/water/water/water_water_0081.

Don't bother a lot with this too much. Your work is impressive.

Cheers

Michel

MightyCucumber

Red, you are completely awesome man.  :o Like you said a few posts back, it's amazing how you and the rest of the modders are treading this path almost blindfolded and can still create such outstanding breakthroughs, both aesthetically and functionally.  8)

Water textures aside, that little fishing dock could have maybe some nets hanging under the fish, or a rope/fishing rod or two laid over the planks next to where the villagers are fishing. ;P

Oh, by the way, can you also make a version that we can place near the water without needing to build a moat (without stone attached)? You know, like the vanilla fishing docks.

RedKetchup

Quote from: rkelly17 on May 13, 2015, 08:11:59 AM
A canal fishing dock! Outstanding! I was wondering whether those people on the first dock picture were doing something useful or just hanging out and admiring the view. As to the water, the ultimate test is what it looks like where it enters the river or lake, but one thing I notice is in the screen shot from several days ago the water looks like it curves down into the side of the canal but the most recent screen shots it looks flat. That, I would say, is an improvement.

One way to deal with the contrast between canal water and lake/river water might be to have an a "start" piece with something like a lock gate on the river/lake end with the gate closed. Canals have locks anyway, so it wouldn't be out of place. There would be a bit of an aesthetic/realism problem since the merchant would just plow through the closed lock like it wasn't there. Having a lock might also be a way to deal with height differences between adjacent pieces of the canal--or is that not a problem?

By the way, it strikes me that, since merchants will use a creek/stream to get to a TP, one could build a canal either from or to a creek to get merchants into a lake. How would that look in a screen shot?

While it would definitely be nice to have a TP in the canal, for me that is not a deal killer. After all, the point of the canal is to get merchants from the river into a lake that would otherwise be inaccessible, so I would just build TPs around the lake. The canal fishing is an added bonus.

Are you thinking of having the canal system as a separate mod or as part of the Medieval package? My vote would be for a separate package--just because I like to pick and choose and prefer not to have my game full of mods that I'll never use just because I want one or two items in a package. That's why I didn't use the original Fountain Mod or don't use CC: Too much stuff I don't want even though parts are really nice. That's just my opinion, of course, so you are free to ignore it.

FIRST:
Thanks you all for all the replys :) i didnt got so much to read since long time  :P

@rkelly17 :
yeah before , the water tile was very much bigger in the pass because i was trying to fill the adjencent tile in case they had none. and it was making a problem, the game graphic is deal very badly with 2 textures placed in exact same place, when you move the camera, zoom in or out, or turn around, it cause some flickerings. so i had to curve them to reduce the amount of double pixels.
but i changed all the way they work now, and i dont try to 'cover' adjacent tiles anymore. i did it when i redone them all to make the canal pieces bigger.

the first dock down the canal you saw first, is just a decorative dock, but with it, i copied it entirely, and made a fishing dock with it. (i was planing to make one)

about making a piece that would serves as 'entrance' from a lake or river : yes i should and i need to make one, because i cannot make it look better , it doesnt 'melt' good together. so yes definitely :)

merchants are really cooperating to use a canal, or a moat to get access to a lake they didnt had before and he is taking it. they just dont want to cooperate if the trading post is on a canal or moat, not yet. but yes, they use it to get access to a lake where is a trading post sitting on the inaccessible lake.
we can put 10 TP on beach of a lonely lake now and give it access. it is still an improvement.

so now you want me to do:
New Medieval Town mod.
New Medieval Castle mod.
New Medieval Canal mod.

what else should i split ? there is something inside NMT i should put it alone ?

RedKetchup

Quote from: MightyCucumber on May 13, 2015, 04:15:35 PM
Red, you are completely awesome man.  :o Like you said a few posts back, it's amazing how you and the rest of the modders are treading this path almost blindfolded and can still create such outstanding breakthroughs, both aesthetically and functionally.  8)

Water textures aside, that little fishing dock could have maybe some nets hanging under the fish, or a rope/fishing rod or two laid over the planks next to where the villagers are fishing. ;P

Oh, by the way, can you also make a version that we can place near the water without needing to build a moat (without stone attached)? You know, like the vanilla fishing docks.

@MightyCucumber  : yes i can try to find or make those nets and/or fishing poles
i can also make a fishing dock, for river / lakes but keep in mind, the visual effect will be very different because there wont have walls in their back anymore since i wont make a moat anymore. the water level of river/lake is way more higher than my moats/canal.
but a such item should be placed in a different mod, maybe like medieval town, not walls/castle/canal or whatever the split i will maybe do.

RedKetchup

@michbret  : i can try to use this but i dont have alot of hope.... i lost alot of time already with this.

most people dont realize that all this (build something 3D) takes alot of time and doesnt happends like a snap of fingers ^^ losing a 1-2-3 hrs on something, a very little detail, is very common in 3D / Moddling

RedKetchup

Glenn

Red,

Your mods are coming alone very nicely and are a great addition to the game.
If I was you, I would keeps your mods all separate -- just as you have done with your other stand alone pieces.
That way any new mod can be added into any game/map a person is playing.
Otherwise you will end up being like the CC mods which aren't save game compatible -- very frustrating.
For what it's worth I think the first water texture you used in the canal/moat looks the best.
Not being able to duplicate the water of the rivers/lakes is a nuisance for you and having a separate lock to connect the canal to lakes/rivers would be a nice addition for anyone who may like to use it when you release the mod.
Keep up all the good work.
You're very dedicated to your hobby.

RedKetchup

@Glenn  : alright, will do.

so what about a New Medieval icon in the toolbar. when you open it you ll get :

3 icons : New Medieval Town. New Medieval Castle. New Medieval Canals

and from there, will be as usual ? cause i dont want to put 3 new icon on the MAIN bar  :-[

of course, in your mod window you will see all 3 mods in conflict (( red )) because they will share the same bar (they share anyways same textures^^)

-------------------

@MightyCucumber  :
is the screenshot ok for you ? i added fishing poles, but cant make nets because it is made from hundreds of threads/ropes and will be very high in polygons.

Glenn

This sounds like an excellent idea for the icon.
It keeps everything together and will not unnecessarily clutter the tool bar.

assobanana76

@RedKetchup It is a real pleasure to return to the forums and see your progress every time !!
you're creating things that no other modders so far failed to create!
and after the 2nd and 3rd floor the fishing dock !!
the last "mesh" water is much more realistic!
and ah ... yes !! you are God !!  ;D ;D
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!