News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Frenchman's Bend: trying for a soft landing

Started by irrelevant, November 11, 2014, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

irrelevant

And that's pretty much all you need on the other side of the river to start developing a second settlement.

irrelevant

Mahnogard

irrelevant

Early Winter 14

Still 2 houses per year

@JamieIdle2.0 the merchants on the special slow version are perfect. I am wishing for them to come, rather than annoyed when they do.

irrelevant

Quote from: Mahnogard on November 14, 2014, 09:10:29 PM
LOL. That happens a lot in my towns. :)
@Mahnogard  Yeah, I see it a lot too, I don't know why it amuses me like it does; just a dirty old man I guess. :)

Nilla

For once not asking a question but answering.

I have mostly played with disasters on (fires are not quite so "fun" after the initial patch, mostly only 1 or 2 houses burns) but I might be able to give some advice.

As you assume, you need no wells close to rivers, streams and lakes. But don't forget; To get water, there must be an access to the shore. No one walks through buildings to get water. One other quite remarkable thing is, that they only put out fire on the front side of the buildings! This must be considered, when you build wells. I once built a well on a free space in one corner behind some houses. One of the houses closest to the well caught fire, a lot of Bannies rushed by (yes they really run fast when there's a fire) but there was a really long way to go, to reach the front side of the burning house. so it was destroyed , same as some other close by houses.

In places where much people are occupied, you don't need to put the wells very close to eachother. There will be a lot of firefighters. It is different in more remote places, where not so many people work. I had fires in foresters huts and even with a well or river close, it takes longer for the people to get there, to put out the fire.

Infestations are quite annoying, especially at orchards. If I have an infestation at an orchard, I rather delete it, before it spreads. As far as I have noticed, the infestation will not go away until you have cut all the trees down, anyhow.

Infestations at a pasture is a bit odd. It's not the animals that are sick. It's the place. So if there is room in other pastures, you can move the animals, without infecting those, who was there first. The infestation also gets away, if you change the animal (sheep to cow or cow to chicken.......)

The only really bad thing is a tornado but it occurs seldom and luckily never strikes the whole map. I know nothing to prevent it. I suppose it is just a matter of good or bad luck.

irrelevant

Year 16

Got busy during harvest, forgot to assign additional farmers to the orchards; ouch! Won't let that happen again. :o

Year 17

It's always the little things.

irrelevant

@Nilla  thanks for your observations. I am making small modifications along the waterfront to improve access to the river.

I've only had one fire, in my first town. I don't remember it very well, other than it pretty much wiped me out, and I had to revert to a previous save. This was back in the 1.01 days.

irrelevant

Year 18

Going to need a quarry and an iron mine.

irrelevant

Year 20

Bah! My big orchard has an infestation. So I guess the way to deal with this is to cut the trees, delete, and start over?

Beef, leather, milk, cheese :)

Mutton, wool  :)

irrelevant

Year 22

First time I can recall seeing this, a female student joining into a new household.

Year 23

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Love @slink's lil markets!

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on November 16, 2014, 07:04:40 PM
Year 22

First time I can recall seeing this, a female student joining into a new household.

You haven't seen that before? Either you haven't really looked into the houses or (rather) you haven't had many so houses, students (male and female) founding families, if there are no adults (and also sometimes if there are), but I haven't seen any kids until the female student left school.

Love @slink's lil markets!

me too and @Elfecutioner general store/farm markets

irrelevant

@Nilla, well, I regularly look at who moves into new houses, cause that can tell you a lot about whether to build more or not. I think it probably is that I normally do not have so many houses. I have religiously built two houses every year except the first year, when I built only one.

rkelly17

Happens to me all the time. They don't start having babies until she is out of school, so you've got to hope that the new house is not far away from her school. I also see male students with graduated females. In that case the babies start coming right away, but if the student ends up far away from the school he attends it still takes longer.

I think that what causes this is a demographic problem with the number of one sex or the other in a particular age cohort being out of balance. Students will get married when necessary. I'm not sure whether or not there is a minimum age for this--I've seen it happen pretty young in the case of a serious gender imbalance.