Main Menu

irrelevant - Sink Mill: trying for 5000, got 6000 instead

Started by irrelevant, August 15, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

@RedKetchup yep, I thought you'd like that. Took me years to buy all that stone!

irrelevant

Don't think I'm going to make it; ale production has fallen by nearly 50%, from 41,660 in 69 to 22,430 in 76. Ale is crucial to this town's success. Going to take a break, maybe come back later. Meantime, back to Frenchman's Bend.

Nilla

Have you figured out the exact reason for this disastrous productivity loss? Is it just "odd" behaviour caused by the size of the town or have you noticed something else?

irrelevant

@Nilla yes, it's because as the productive workers are dying off, they are being replaced by workers who live far from work, and these long commuters seemingly are never replaced, even though there are laborers living near the workplace. I see the same workers in the same job, year after year, who should be replaced because they live too far away.

irrelevant

Driving to work today I had a diabolical idea for recovering this town.

I'll induce a famine by ceasing to release purchased food from the TPs. When the pop drops back to a level the game can handle, I'll resume normal production, and this time I'll concentrate on building up a food reserve. The pop should grow more quickly on the way back up the curve, so that would be fewer years needed to feed them all.

Worth a try, anyway.

Nilla

You always find good ideas driving to work! I hope you don't cause some accidents by emerging too deep into your Banished thoughts. ;)

About this idea; At first it seemed excellent to me. Just a lot of work with separated couples, but that should be manageable, even in a large settlement like this. On the second thought, there might be a small problem; The limited storage possibilities. Even if you can store some food in the TP, there isn't much to accumulate; 2 years consumption. I'm not sure it's enough, if the productivity once again drops so dramatically. But I would be happy, if you prove me wrong.

If you give it a try, I would also take the productivity drop in account and try to build a large store of firewood, ale and other sellable stuff. during the "good times".

irrelevant

On my way to work there are some long stretches with not much other traffic.  ;D

Yes, amassing large stocks of goods for trade during the die-off and rebound would be key of this plan. The whole thing would depend on being able to amass enough stuff to buy the additional food needed when the pop starts to increase again. I've noticed that during sine waves, each subsequent increase happens more rapidly than the one before.

No longer needing to build anything should help a great deal, and not having any builders will make closing down houses to manage the separated couples much simpler.

As the pop dies off and falls back below 5000 (or whatever the "magic number" is), the resource producers should once again be replaced by workers living near where they work. The inefficiency will kick in only once they start dying of old age and are replaced by the long commuters when the pop goes back over the "magic number." This takes a number of years (5-7) to really become a problem. This plan will work only if the pop goes back up fast enough to reach the goal before the reduced production again reaches the point it is at now.

Can store 640k food in my 32 TPs. This represents more than just two years of food deficit, as the merchants come 2-4x per year, and I will be buying tons of food all the time.

Actually, I could store more than this, if I started buying additional types of food, concentrating on apples for ale production, but also a few other types. Can store 10k of each per TP.

Total TP space available is 1,920k

Too bad I can't make pies and buy books! ;D

irrelevant

This plan has some difficulties that make me question its chances for success.

First, before anyone starts to starve, they will have to burn through the 370k food currently stored in houses. There is a further 330k food in storage to replace this. Also, it is spring. This 700k food will not be significantly impaired before the harvest comes in, that's another 250k.

I can suck some of this up into TPs to accelerate the process. I can have 320k each of wheat, beans, pecans, and apples, my four food resources, in TPs.

I can increase the amount of food stored in TPs by trading those foods for other foods, eg. corn, peppers, walnuts, and cherries. I could empty the TPs of tools and coats and pack in food. The stored ale--down to 18k now--must remain in the TPs. Say 30k ale, leaves room for 1890000 food, I'd need to buy another 600k food to max out the TP storage.

So, I get all this food in the TPs, and the houses start to run out, and people start to starve. At some point I need to stop that, and the only way is to release food from the TPs back into the town. But if people are starving, they don't work. There need to be enough traders with food in their homes so they keep working long enough to move food out of the TPs into storage.

The only thing I can think of to give me some control over this whole process is to fake demolish the houses of the people I will kill. That will push all of their food out into circulation where I can grab it and pull it into the TPs. When I get full TPs and empty storage, the famine will start. The only two issues are, timing (with reference to harvest) and the amount of work this is!! It is a daunting task, and I'm not sure I'm up to it. Deciding who lives and who dies, that's above my pay grade ;) Although in Banished, I guess it's really not. But I'd have to go through, house by house (1600 of them) and decide. Then I'd need to go through all the farms (that I recently assigned 4 workers to) and click them back down to 2 farmers each. ::) :o

Nilla

A lot to do in such a big settlement. But if you want to make this starvation attempt; you have to fake demolish houses in any case; before or after the planned starvation. And I suppose before might be easier and cause less disturbance. "Planned starvation" - sounds mean!  :(

irrelevant

No one ever got the joke; "Sink Mill" is how an American would pronounce the French words for "Five Thousand."

I guess that means it wasn't a very good joke. ;D

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on August 16, 2017, 08:12:46 PM
No one ever got the joke; "Sink Mill" is how an American would pronounce the French words for "Five Thousand."

I guess that means it wasn't a very good joke. ;D

i guess i never tried to say the name of the town loud ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Trizeropz