News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mathieuso Furnace Version 2

Started by slink, November 05, 2014, 03:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

I'm making a new profession called Wood Burner, and increasing the production to the same level as the blacksmith (tool maker).  That way people who want to make steel tools can have one furnace supporting one tool maker.

JamieIdle2.0

Quote from: slink on November 07, 2014, 09:42:40 AM
I'm making a new profession called Wood Burner, and increasing the production to the same level as the blacksmith (tool maker).  That way people who want to make steel tools can have one furnace supporting one tool maker.

@slink I suggest making it 3 wood per 1 coal. So it can be used as a trade good or even 2 wood per 1 coal. I mean once you have a good trade system setup this structure becomes redundant. Because a woodcutter can turn 4 wood into 16 firewood. Charcoal/coal is far more valuable than wood so tweaking the numbers to make it more realistic is kinda necessary.

slink

The new version is up now.  It seems to work.   ;D

rkelly17

Quote from: JamieIdle2.0 on November 07, 2014, 09:50:29 AM
@slink I suggest making it 3 wood per 1 coal. So it can be used as a trade good or even 2 wood per 1 coal. I mean once you have a good trade system setup this structure becomes redundant. Because a woodcutter can turn 4 wood into 16 firewood. Charcoal/coal is far more valuable than wood so tweaking the numbers to make it more realistic is kinda necessary.

It would make it better for game balance. In real life the amount of wood that would make 16 units of fire wood would probably make a similar amount of charcoal, but it would take longer. The lesser production of the wood burner represents in a crude way the extra work needed to get from raw logs to charcoal as opposed to the lesser amount of work necessary to produce firewood. Sorry for being pedantic--sometimes I just can't help myself.  ::)

slink

The settings I used were chosen so that someone who wasn't inclined to run 20 trading posts, no matter how shiny those were, could still make coal from logs at a rate that is somewhat less than they could get in trade of logs for coal.  It makes up for not building and managing a trading post, and also not building a coal mine.  Logs are infinite.  Firewood is also infinite, but requires another step.  Trading firewood for coal is more profitable than making charcoal from logs, but then we are headed towards the industrial town that devotes itself to cutting bought logs into firewood and trading for everything else.  Once you have the firewood trading scenario set up, every other production center is redundant.  You wouldn't waste space and labor on making steel tools, or even on growing trees.  You would just buy logs, cut and sell firewood, and live on the profit.

Paeng

Quote from: slink on November 07, 2014, 02:35:15 PMsomeone who wasn't inclined to run 20 trading posts

That's right up my alley... I been constantly working on reducing Trade Posts - I just can't stand it when the whole river is lined with them, sometimes with hardly enough space for the boat to pass (the boat sliding through the piers is already bad enough)... my last town of 800 had just 3 trade posts, and did well - the new mods and trade fixes give us enough alternatives...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

XSwifTX

I really love this mod but the output may be just a bit high.  :P 

Certainly much more efficient then a coal mine with way fewer workers. It might be better to have the production scale up according to the amount of workers assigned the same way the mines do. Right now it is just WAY to easy to get late game tools ie: steel and carbon steel (if using CCT).

slink

So don't run it so long.   ;)  Seriously, I have one person saying the output per log is too low, and now another saying it is too high.  It sounds as if it may be right where it belongs.   :)

irrelevant

Well, I think it's too low and too high. ;)

Seriously, it is not intended to produce coal for trade, or to compete with mining; it is to produce coal in lieu of trade and mining. Inputs/outputs seem good to me.

XSwifTX

Lol, just looked through my installed mods and realized I have the houses don't burn coal mod in. That would explain why it seems to be way off for me.....

My bad....

Kaspar

Paeng

Quote from: XSwifTX on November 09, 2014, 03:35:11 PMrealized I have the houses don't burn coal mod in.

Hahaha... yeah, I fell into the same trap earlier  :)  Thinking, wow - this time around Slink really meant well  :P
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

slink

It has been drawn to my attention that the raw material definitions contain a variable for the amount of material that is produced each time.  I had been assuming that every reaction only produced one of any item.  Therefore, this building is in fact producing 3 to 4 times as much coal as I imagined it was.  However, the blacksmith produces 1 to 2 times the tools that I thought, so my coal production here is only twice what I imagined it was in proportion to the tools.

So the long story short is that 4 logs burn into 3 or 4 coal, rather than 1 coal.  This appears to be in keeping with what @rkelly17 said about the real-life yield.  If the production rate is too high, I can increase the time required.  Right now the time required for 3 to 4 coal to be produced is the same as for making 1 to 2 tools, so the coal is produced twice as fast.

JamieIdle2.0

@slink don't feel bad I just learned of that section of the raw material code yesterday myself. I have been creating spread sheets to help with mod balancing/trade profit calculations.

JamieIdle2.0

@slink also thank you very much for pulling this from the Fountain mod. I have been wanting a charcoal maker for a while now. Of course the way the game is set up having it make coal instead works unless you just want something for heating homes then you could create a new charcoal resource with the CoalFuel flag.