News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Looking for good modpack's or groups.

Started by Pai, July 19, 2019, 07:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pai

Hello, everyone. Looking for a modpack/list that works?  Tried out the mega mod and it got me back into banished. But it's mostly been a crashy mess.

Any other big groups of mods that work well and make the game interesting?

moonbelf

Hello and welcome!

Have a read through the Mod Discussions 107 forum. You'll find plenty of mods here, a lot of them with pictures and they all have good descriptions. There are too many to list, so just spend some time and read :)

Nilla

If you want ONE mod with a lot of nice things, try @RedKetchup´s RK Editor Choice. It has so much different things, that you don´t need any other mods.

If you want something new, that changes the gameplay and forces you to think in different ways; try the North from @Tom Sawyer. If I´m not wrong, you can only download it from his homepage http://www.banishedventures.com/north/ but there´s a lot of information about it also here on WOB. The North is also fun together with the ageing mod Norseman because it gives happiness larger importance. And if you find Bansihed too easy, try the ageing mod Ironman instead.

brads3

the biddest cause of crashes for the MM is computer power and memory use.each computer has its own limit.look at when it crashes,how many years an you play a map? are the bannies moving smoothly of starting to skip? how fast or slow is work being done?pull the task manager and check the performance levels.play with the graphic options. by doing this you will have an idea of how large the windata size can be before you see problems. since you can get the MM to play,you can probably add mods that together are 75% as big as the MM file.

depending on what parts of the MM you use a lot,you could add them individually to the CC J or older version.pick and choose so you stay below your computer's limits.

every person has their own style and likes.you have many options.as NILLA sujuested,you can swap the CC out for another main mod like the RK or NORTH. you can add mods to them to suit your style. te RK is much smaller than the CC. it was made after the 1.07 upgrade so the production chains  are more sensible and easier. you can also add parts of the CC to the RK.depending on what parts you might want there are some addon mods that CC has put out.

Pai

Thing is.. my power and mem are fine.  It doesn't push over 60% load and doesn't slow down at all.  MM loads fast and runs fast, there's no slow down in game.

It just starts giving a system error after a while.Ya know.. after you've spent hours on a map.

brads3

have you checked with the BL site to see about some compatability mods? there may be others who had similar issues. that much power does give you plenty of options.

purringcat

I've found when the game crashes with a system error, if I remove the mods in the registry and then reload them in the game, it keeps going with no further crashes.   

Pai

"if I remove the mods in the registry "

eh? And hows that done?

Pai

Any one? How do you do that "remove the mods from the registy" bit?

MarkAnthony

Run the Windows program called RegEdit.

Scroll to this location:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Shining Rock Software LLC\Banished

Once in there scroll the list of entries until you come to entries like ModEnabled_ and ModIndexed_

Delete all of those if you wish, or just the offending ones.

Edit: It's probably best to delete them all. Do this without the game running of course. After you delete those mods, re-launch the game; enable the mods you want putting them in the order you want. The game will then write to the registry again and your registry will be cleaned.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

brads3

type "regedit" into the window's search menu. it will pull up a list open the program and then another list of files appears. you need to find BANISHED. it should be HKEY CURRENT USER FILE,then SOFTWARE,and then SHINING ROCK SOFTWARE. files inside other files.

when you open banished  file, you will see the registry. this contrains a list of operations including graphics,a list of control settings,the mods enabled or disabled and their load order. you can ignore 90% of this list and just delete the mod lines. once you do this, the mod order will need to be reset. if you did delete everything,you would have to reset and graphic and control options. you could in theory remove any old mods specifically 1 at a time. rememeber that there are 2 listings. 1 is the mod enabled or disabled line. there is also an index line for each mod.

some very old mods were known to cause glitches and affect games even after they were removed.this process does remove those mods.

this subject has come up before so i thought there would have been an outline under the tips pages. there is a program that will do this for you. the mod manager is a handy program to help reorganize the mod order.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: brads3 on August 07, 2019, 10:52:30 PMthere is a program that will do this for you. the mod manager is a handy program to help reorganize the mod order.
LOVE THIS PROGRAM! by @JM

I don't think I'd be changing mods much at all if it wasn't for the existence of ModMan!  :)                

theonlywanderer

By far the easiest way to manage different mod setups is to have different file folders.   Put only the mods you want in to each particular windata folder.    When you run the specific executable out of each folder it still looks in the same registry area as all the others and will see all the different mods, but it will own show and activate the mods that are in it's own windata folder.   No more having to turn mods off and on ever again.    Basically, each version has it's mods turned on all the time.

Here are mine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Banished CC
Banished Mega
Banished North6
Banished RKEC
Banished Custom
Banished Vanilla
Banished ModKit

brads3

the only issue with that way is the order of the mods stays the same. the order is still locked in the registry.when changing setups, you may ned to manually adjust the mod order.   

the mod manager can help with that. you can save a profile with the different folders. then load that to the registry when changing setups. saves lots of time. we no longer have to move mods 1 click at a time ,nor exit and reload the gamee. plus if there is an issue ,we can adjust the mod order for the next game immediately and forget about it. the changes will load to the registry by themself when we start the next new map.this program is a huge assett. the length of time it takes for us to exit and reload the game to do just 1 change,the mod order can reset 50 mod orders. not even counting how long it takes to move a mod 1 click at a time up and down the mod order. 

MarkAnthony

I was going to comment on theonlywanderer's reply last night but thought I'd leave it alone.

Adding to what Brads said let's not forget about the huge amount of disk space you'd save from having so many duplicated files. This is just my opinion but from what theonlywanderer wrote, I don't suspect he has ever tried ModMan because there is no way that his method is quicker and easier than ModMan's.

That said, everyone should do what feels best for them and is easier for them, some habits are hard to break as well.