News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Materials Markets

Started by galensgranny, April 13, 2018, 05:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galensgranny

I am not sure what the point is of having buildings materials markets, such as selling stone, logs, etc.  in housing areas, or any area, really.  Once a section is built up, no one in the "circle" of the market will need stone, logs, etc.  So it doesn't seem to make sense to have those vendors go around the map getting more building materials.  Wouldn't it be better to just have storage areas for building materials?  Or would a builder who is going to build something out of the building materials store/market circle get some supplies and then go off into the wilderness to build?

brads3

building sites are supplied by laborers.builders do the construction. most players rather a cover over the piles.also some markets can store more volume.nowdays, a general pile can become full of other materials that you may need elsewhere.
    not all vendors act the same either.i have had some that would collect from the laborers as they cleared land. this gives the laborers time to break stone and cut trees,while the vendor would haul it away to storage.some might help supply the building site also. there are things to the coding that we haven't figured out completely yet.have you seen or heard of the "super vendor"??
      vendors also move supplies from forests or mining areas to be processed. in a 1.06 mod,stone included bricks and other materials.depending on the market,you might be supplying a brickmaker,blacksmith,turpentine still,gem cutter,candle shop,etc.there are many older mods that never will be updated to the 1.07.the items from those mods still are tagged the old way.
    a lot depends on the player and situation. say you were buying stone. a market would help move it out from the trading post.then a cart could move it to where you are buildig. general piles can become full of different materials.this can stop the bannies from clearing land since they have no place to store it. if you had a  lot of stone and ores,you would have no room for logs.A market  helps move excess goods.

galensgranny

I read about your Super Vendor in an old post when I was searching here for information on markets.  I am hoping one of my Bannies will become one.  :)   

What I want to do is have a city area that is the main shopping area for the bigger city.  I wanted to have Red's RK Choice special shops under houses all on one block.  There aren't any work sites needing to be supplied in the yellow circle the shops give off.  If I want to develop more town areas across the map, where I have only farms and a house, does it make sense to have a main building supplier only in that first city area? 

RedKetchup

only in industrial zones, but you still need couple of housing near those for effiency
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

I have used these markets in my latest towns. I had two different purposes:
1. To "drag" building materials to an area, where I want to build. I want it mostly for lumber, bricks, roof tiles and glass, that I produce on only one place, close to the starting position. If you want to build far away from this spot, it takes a long time for laborers to get all material to where it's needed. Even if the stores don't work 100% perfect (it doesn't always contain all materials), it helps a lot.
2. Fodder-Thatch is also stored in this market. I've used it to have a good supply on fodder for my horses.

These markets have lost some of it's importance, after @RedKetchup added his carts. They can have the same function but are smaller and cheaper.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on April 20, 2018, 11:36:35 AM

These markets have lost some of it's importance, after @RedKetchup added his carts. They can have the same function but are smaller and cheaper.

the only difference, those carts have only 1 flag while the markets have 2-3-4 flags
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

galensgranny

I started using the market carts that only have one item and like them very much to get a single needed supply to a worker, such as logs for my brick makers who are next to the clay pit (so clay is right near them in a stockpile), but far from the loggers.

I put a building materials store at the end of where I have things built so far, so for future expansion so the workers won't have to go so far to get material for upcoming buildings.  What I am not sure about is keeping the materials store in the section that is already built up and no more building will done there.