BETA : New Medieval Castle : Beta v 0.2a - with Moats and Canals (0.2a bugfix)

Started by RedKetchup, May 23, 2015, 07:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 26, 2015, 07:52:40 PM
the canal parts are abit 'graphically' larger than the actual 'tiles'. kinda a bit of 'overlap' ™. if there is trees or rocks in that overlap part, then they wont be remove.
yes only in the overlap, the part where one could build a road underneath ..
but everything else is cleared by labourers before it is build.

follow up on idea that maybe the canal bridge is blocking :

picture 01 :
- canal 1 with trading post, without canal bridge.
- canal 2 with trading post, with canal bridge.

picture 02 : route trader to trading post in canal 01
picture 03 : route trader to trading post in canal 02

as you can see trader 1 goes for the shortest distance from river to trade post.
return to the river is the same way it came in, the shortest route back.

trader 2 takes the moat to lake entrance, definitely not the shortest route... something must be blocking it.

hence my conclusion : canal bridge is not passable for trader.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Paeng

It's crazy - I stymied meself... LOL...

Crazy because I already had this scene working... but when I rebuild it, I can't get it to work :-(

So now I have a trader enter the canal from the river and go to TP1, then makes a u-turn...

The second trader is supposed to enter the canal, pass TP1 and continue to TP2 - and I know it works... but I had to kinda force it by adding an empty "Low Water" tile to sort of cross over that red barrier (which creates a tiny step, but not too bad) - that worked before because I got one green tile that allowed me to plop the water tile... however, after rebuilding I never got that green tile back, now it's always the red "cannot build here" thingy... so I'm prevented from building a path into the lake, and the traders just ignore the TP (and the whole canal, they pass just right by it)... (even though they do "see" it, as they send an extra trader - he just doesn't find a way)...

Argh, drives me nuts... spent the whole last night on it, but it kept me on a hit and miss binge (sometimes works, somedimes doesn't)... Weird, it seems that the depth of the lake itself screws around with me... but since we cannot terraform below water <sigh>...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

chillzz

@Paeng did you have the canal bridge before too? i just did some testing and trader will ignore everything after the canal bridge.

i usually do some terraforming with flatten terrain, so the entrances are more straight for canal piece.
yes it doesn't look very pretty.. but works.

Paeng

Quote from: chillzz on May 27, 2015, 04:46:34 AMdid you have the canal bridge before too?

Hmmm...I thought I did, but now I'm not sure LOL... I'll test that.

Quotei usually do some terraforming with flatten terrain

Oh sure, I flatten the whole ground under the canal, right up into about 1 to 2 squares of water, before actually laying down the canal... got no problems there  ;)

Paeng

Chillz, very cool, right on the button...  ;)

Coming...

And going...

Venetian HalfBlind...

Of course, in winter the canals freeze over...

As you see, we can use the regular game bridges too... so we can keep the tiny one for more decorative purposes...

:)

chillzz

nice!
the original bridges do indeed work, however one cannot use one over canal or moat.

one other thing i noticed, but don't think @RedKetchup can do anything about that :
trader always takes the shortest route possible, but always via river.
i cut off a large part of the river by canal, without bridges.
have the trade port right at the end of the canal. 
Trader goes all the way around, then backs up into the canal / trading post.

trading port in the middle of the canal, it will take the canal route.

Paeng

Quote from: chillzz on May 27, 2015, 06:55:00 AMhowever one cannot use one over canal or moat.

That's okay for me, I like them at the ends anyway, to sort of 'camouflage' the merge into game water...  :)

QuoteTrader goes all the way around, then backs up into the canal / trading post.

Yeah, they always did like that (even if you chance on a thin ledge where a trader can pass into an adjacent lake)... The shortest way in Banished is verrrrry relative... LOL!

Anyway, I love that we can now connect even lakes that are a bit farther away, that makes a lot of maps more useable...

RedKetchup

well. i guess i ll have to verify the bridge one and do a quick fix 0.2a
i think i can fix it. the bridge one has been mage before my TP and with my TP i ve learned some usefull things like i can call a 'quarryfloor' function in same time i can also call a 'floor' function on the same mesh :) so i will be able to call the quarry lowered ground at -4 and in same time call the 'walking' floor for the citizens.

i was sure i did it before i released it, but gonna return to check. also i will check all pieces to be sure i terraform all different pieces and change the tag to 'Water'
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

grrrrrrrrrr

as you can see in screenshot, the bridge has now its own lower ground -4 and has its own water. But the merchants still refuse to pass under :(
i dunno if it is because citizens have a path "_" (but ingame bridge should have that path /shrug) or because i call 2 different floor (floor for terraform, floor01 for citizens walkability)
but TP and fishing dock has both /shrug.

it drives me nuts  :-[ >:(

RedKetchup

i think i have found whats the problem, it is not the graphic the problem but...
when i give the permission to pass to citizens from 1 side to the other side, in straight line, it also blocks the merchant. thats surprising cause normal bridge usually works, maybe there is an hidden hardcoded code.

if it is the case.... i will make 2 tiles width and i will fool everyone, citizens and merchants, so they both have a path in diagonal ^^

#### = citizen not go there but merchant pass
____ = citizen can pass but merchant refuse to pass

So,
#_#_
_#_# = will be my fooling trick.

gonna go check if my trick will work

RedKetchup

yup that did the trick lol
everyone has been fooled ^^

the citizens are making a little 'zigzig' on the bridge.... merchant we dont really see one but...
most important, both pass now !!!!

ROFL also i think i made 1 more bridge different mesh that we had previously ^^

in the screenshots you will see all 4 graphics that rotate auto or with 'F' keybind ^^

RedKetchup

i noticed the decoration dock (the one without fishing) didnt had its own icon, so i did it too. gonna upload it :)

RedKetchup

BETA 0.2a is UP !!!!!

-----------------------
bugfix 0.2a : Fixed the canal bridge that bugged the merchants and made them 2 tiles width to allow both, citizens and merchants, to pass through.
also fixed the decorative dock : it has now its own icon.

-----------------------

BTW i made another test : i used Window7 to make the .zip (not winrar) so maybe you all be good to download it. we will see if it fixed also this problem

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 27, 2015, 11:13:46 AM
yup that did the trick lol
everyone has been fooled ^^

the citizens are making a little 'zigzig' on the bridge.... merchant we dont really see one but...
most important, both pass now !!!!

ROFL also i think i made 1 more bridge different mesh that we had previously ^^

in the screenshots you will see all 4 graphics that rotate auto or with 'F' keybind ^^

Damn! that is a quick fix :D
will download ASAP  and test after dinner. thanx man!

RedKetchup

no problem  ;D i fooled them hard   :P ^^

of course you will need to 'destroy' your bridges, 'level' the ground back to normal, and then build the new '2 tiles width' bridges :)