News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Ambertown

Started by MarkAnthony, June 26, 2019, 12:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

it was Arnetto that i ran the education down to 0% took til year 68 for the 1st educated couple to die.  i was surprised i had done this with a Nordic climate.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2410.0

MarkAnthony

"Yo! Adrian.  Make me a sandwich. I'm starving!"
-- "Why don't you wiggle your fingers and make some magic Rocky?; the barn's empty, we got no food!"
"Well go 'git some then! Go to the market woman!"
--"I'm not walking clear across town in the dead of winter just so you can have your stupid sandwich! It's cold out there and you know what? it's cold in here too! Why don't you go chop some more firewood?!"
"I did that last year!"
--"No wood? No market run, suit yourself!"  "Then why don't you go and speak with the Mayor about the condition of things 'round here in these parts?"
"He's AFK and not paying attention!"

Both die in the night due to starvation.

What a fiasco that was!  ;) ::)   When I last spoke with @Nilla I was in year 9 and had a population of 38 and enough food to get by for a short while but Nilla was right I needed more and pronto! I apparently just cruised along not realizing time was passing and no progress towards getting excess food was made on my part. Out of nowhere it was year 16!

In year 16 I had my first group of Nomads come by, there were five of them and I thought I had enough food to cover them, and I did number wise but I didn't factor in the amount of time it takes to build up that food supply again so things started to decline. So anyhow, the Nomads come as I was 75% of the way done with building their Boarding House and Hospital. Things finish up and they move in and raid the market and wipe out the food supply and not long after the great starvation die off begins! I forget what my population was at the time but it was north of 60 Banies I think.

Starvation Deaths:

• Late Autumn 16 - 3 starved
  • Early Summer 17 - 1 starved
  • Summer 17 - 2 starved
  • Late Summer 17 - 5 starved
  • Early Autumn 17 - 4 starved
  • Autumn 17 - 4 starved
  • Late Autumn 17 - 1 starved
  • Late Winter 17 - 1 starved
  • Early Winter 18 - 1 starved
  • Late Winter 18 - 2 starved
  • Late Spring 19 - Four more Nomads arrive and I take them in!
  • Late winter 19 - 2 starved
  • Early Spring 20 - 2 starved
  • Spring 20 - 2 starved
  • Late Spring 20 - 1 starved
  • Early Summer 20 - 1 starved
  • Late Summer 20 - 3 starved
  • Early Autumn 20 - 4 starved
  • Autumn 20 - 1 starved
  • Late Autumn 20 - 2 starved
  • Winter 20 - 1 starved
TLDR; (I hate maths?) - 43 starvation deaths from Late Autumn 16 to Winter 20; during this time I had quite a few die of old age too, about 9 maybe?

It's year 24 right now and I finally got things in control again, well maybe not but things are definitely improving and I got a baby boom going on again. My population is back up to 67.

So the gist of it is: I was just cruising by on the food stock I had to feed my 38 population and I got lost at ground-level just watching people and I lost track of time and my duties to the Banies. The first Nomads came and ate up the remainder of the stored food and things started spiraling out of control.

It took forever for a trader to come with seeds, a year and a half (3 visits) before I got some. Then a trader finally came and had two seeds so I bought both corn and wheat. I immediately placed down eight crop fields and I prioritized them all. That was a costly mistake and even though I was watching this mistake happen before my eyes, I did nothing to intervene - I just let it play out! (I don't know why, I just did! All the while shaking my head.)

The mistake was that I was so low on laborers and I prioritized all eight fields at once because of my rush to build up some food stock that it took about two years maybe before all the crop fields were ready for use. I should have just queued up two fields at first. Then of course as I assign each crop I lose a laborer to work that crop - so my current on hand laborers keep at about a constant 4 at all times. AND... they live so damn far away and the storage barn isn't completed yet either so that adds to the hassle of it all!

About year 21 things are on the uptick and I got two pastures built for some cattle and chickens that arrived, the storage barn is built and I got four more homes added near the farms and pastures. The food issue has finally become a small surplus but I'll try to be more diligent this time and stay on top of things.  But yikes!   ???   This lessen learned cost me 43 Banies and about 9 years if not slightly longer to correct.   :'(

Never underestimate the importance of that sandwich!!!   ROFL   :P
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

MarkAnthony

I forgot to ask:

• While I was waiting impatiently for those eight crop fields to get plowed so that I could use them two different times traders brought food for me to buy so I did; but I never noticed the food count going up. How come?
  • I also watched three traders cruise on by but they never stopped! How come?  rofl Why didn't they stop and help a poor fool out?!   :P

MarkAnthony

It took soooo long to get my second pasture built for the chickens that the six I bought and were waiting for me at the trading post, apparently died. By the time the pasture was ready there were no chickens. I mean there was one but as soon as it got there, it disappeared.  /shrug

How long do we have to get our livestock out of the trading posts? At that cost, it was another expensive lessen learned.  :(

EDIT: Oh and from year 24 when things were getting back to normal, to year 25 - my population jumped by 33 (babies)!   ???   My population is 100 even now! I see trouble on the horizon again if I don't get some laborers soon!  I only have one currently.

moonbelf

It's always a good idea to have a pasture prebuilt and waiting for when the trader arrives with livestock. Learned that the hard way myself lol. So now I always have a pasture ready even if it's a small one because a larger one can always be built for large stock like cattle etc but at least the stock you buy from the trader has a safe place to go in the meantime.

Creating 8 crop fields at a time might be overkill. Make 2 at least 10x10 and get a couple of farmers in there and going. Then add more fields as you go along. If your population is growing as fast as you say, don't let your food production fall behind. You need about 100 food per bannie per year but more is better as you then have a reserve built up.

Maybe you've got too many homes available too quickly?

Why the traders didn't stop .. I have no idea! I've never seen that but maybe someone more knowledgeable has an answer for you.

Nilla

Don´t feel bad! We´ve all been there! I mean killing a lot of Bannis in starvation. With only some 500 food in store for 38 people, I would have been surprised, if there would have been no starvation. If you always have 100 food in store for each Banni (1 year of consumption) you can feel safe. Safe to get a baby boom, to take nomads, to look at something else than food production for a while...... You say you hate math. I´m a math- person, so I can say that 100*38 is 3800; not 500. ;)

I´m sure you didn´t see the food delivery in your statistic because people´s house stores were so empty, that they grabbed everything immediately.

These cruising traders are a bit harder to explain. There are some possible causes
1. You´ve built a trading port that´s not accessible to the main river. The merchant will still come and just pass but of course not land at a dock.
2 You may have built ports too close across each other that the river is blocked. This may cause weird things. The merchant may visit one port but not the other.
3. Ports on lakes connected to the river are sometimes bugged. Watch carefully if some port never is visited by merchants.
4 Some maps have a weird bug. The merchant visits you as usual but after the trade, he returns from where he came. When he reaches the edge of the map he realizes that he went in the wrong direction, turns and passes the port a second time, now without stopping. If you have this bug,(look at the merchant after the trade) I would change the map. I have had this bug some times and later there was always something else strange on that map.

And yes, if you´re unlucky and need a lot of time to build a pasture, the animals may die.

Nilla

Just thought of one more thing; if you want to build fields and pastures FAST. Clear the land first. Don´t "build" it until labourers have cleared the ground. If you set the pasture in the woods a limited number of people will work on it, I think it´s 2. If you use the clear ground tool, every available labourer will help; mostly more than 2.

brads3

i am impressed.CONGRATS on handling things well. i figured you would hit the domino effect. normally when you run shoprt on 1 item you then run short of the next and so no. in your case you was short of food.the bannies should have went waundering looking for food and neflected to make supplies. then firewood and tools and then clothing would fall short. that would have led to the farmers waundering, and therefore the food would drop even more.a downward spiral that wipes towns out. you handlef it well.

now that you have a crash course which age speed setting do you prefer?

i have not seen a trader row by. normally mine have a tendency to bring everything except what i need. the boats are always full of processed items. after the merchant leaves,it takes time for the trader to put the food in barns. while it is being moved between the TP,barns,market,and then houses it is not counted. another the bannies do try to keep extra food in their houses.even thou the rule is 100 per bannie,more food is needed as you build more houses.

i knew the mother hen would get you for not producing and storing enough food. she always growls at me for that i think she forgets the houses need supplied. i can produce more than the bannies eat but  i expand fast enough to use up the extra.it doesn't show to the graph since it is stored in houses. 2 bannies need 200 food when they move into a new house,they will use more than 300.100 each that they eat plus half for each stored to the good inn their house.

as MOONBELF mentioned,a 10 or 12 square hoding pen near the trade posts helps buy time. 

MarkAnthony

Quote from: moonbelf on June 27, 2019, 01:43:27 PM
It's always a good idea to have a pasture prebuilt and waiting for when the trader arrives with livestock. Learned that the hard way myself lol. So now I always have a pasture ready even if it's a small one because a larger one can always be built for large stock like cattle etc but at least the stock you buy from the trader has a safe place to go in the meantime.

Creating 8 crop fields at a time might be overkill. Make 2 at least 10x10 and get a couple of farmers in there and going.
Maybe you've got too many homes available too quickly?
Hi @moonbelf ,

Generally speaking I would have pre-built the pastures but I wasn't ready for that yet. I was only planning to start out with some crops in the beginning; however my very first trader came with six cattle so I jumped at the chance not sure how long it would be before I saw him again with cattle. Even without the cattle things would have been messed up anyhow because I uhmmm... didn't pre-build the crop fields either lol.  ::) Whoopsie!

Creating eight crop fields were WAS overkill, believe me! Hehe  Let me just call it a knee jerk reaction to when people started dying all over the place. "Feed me, Omg ...I'm so hungry!"  They're all so dramatic, me thinks! rofl  :D MY crop fields were only sized 8x15, that's what I read several places about the optimal crop size/yield for one farmer due to the pathing they take (number of tiles they walk) within the field. And yeah, I should have cleared the land of resources first, which I did not do. Not like I had anyone to do the work anyhow, I only had two laborers and they lived miles away.

Quote from: Nilla on June 27, 2019, 02:00:33 PM
You say you hate math. I´m a math- person, so I can say that 100*38 is 3800; not 500. ;)

I´m sure you didn´t see the food delivery in your statistic because people´s house stores were so empty, that they grabbed everything immediately.

Hi @Nilla

I don't hate math, rather I don't have issues with basic math. When written math starts looking like hieroglyphics and gibberish then my eyes go cross-sided and I start babbling and drooling rofl!  :P But basic math I have no problem with.  I had said, "TLDR; (I hate maths?) " for the readers of my post. TLDR = "Too long, didn't read!" which I'm sure you knew, but the "I hate maths?" part was because I had a long list of deaths and people may not wanted to spend the time adding it all up, so I totaled it up for them.

As far as not seeing the food number increase after purchase, I suspected what you said but wasn't sure. I figured at the very least it would display the increased number even if it was only for a few seconds. When I don't see the numbers change, I wonder if I got gypped and didn't get credit for what I bought.

Quote from: Nilla on June 27, 2019, 02:00:33 PM
These cruising traders are a bit harder to explain. There are some possible causes
1. You´ve built a trading port that´s not accessible to the main river. The merchant will still come and just pass but of course not land at a dock.
2 You may have built ports too close across each other that the river is blocked. This may cause weird things. The merchant may visit one port but not the other.
3. Ports on lakes connected to the river are sometimes bugged. Watch carefully if some port never is visited by merchants.
4 Some maps have a weird bug. The merchant visits you as usual but after the trade, he returns from where he came. When he reaches the edge of the map he realizes that he went in the wrong direction, turns and passes the port a second time, now without stopping. If you have this bug,(look at the merchant after the trade) I would change the map. I have had this bug some times and later there was always something else strange on that map.

Of your four examples, I think my situation may be closer to your 4th one. Though, not. My traders travel from the top of the map, into my port area, do business with me, then leave heading towards the bottom of the map. Not always, but a couple times... I would see traders go from the bottom of the map towards the top.  Whether it's the one that just visited me or not I don't know, I cannot click them like you can a Banie.

The ones whom I was speaking of as just cruising on by me without stopping at my port come like the others, from the top of the map to the bottom -- they just don't stop and do business with me, they just drive right on by. This happened three times while I was desperately waiting for something to happen in my crop fields and wishfully hoping a trader will come by with some food I can buy. They just come, wave as they pass, and keep on going!

Quote from: Nilla on June 27, 2019, 02:19:41 PM
Just thought of one more thing; if you want to build fields and pastures FAST. Clear the land first. Don´t "build" it until labourers have cleared the ground. If you set the pasture in the woods a limited number of people will work on it, I think it´s 2. If you use the clear ground tool, every available labourer will help; mostly more than 2.
Good to know, thanks. I'll start doing that if I am in a rush to build anything.

Quote from: brads3 on June 27, 2019, 02:40:10 PM
i am impressed.CONGRATS on handling things well.

now that you have a crash course which age speed setting do you prefer?

Thanks @brads3 . It didn't seem like I was handling it well but I did get through it without quitting the town (delete saved game)  LOL.   ;D

Well, for the speed at which the population grows I like vanilla's speed but the benefits to using an aging mod has to be there somewhere. I think because of how slow the aging mod made the game feel to me I disliked it, but there's got to be a good reason to use it though I cannot remember because all I remember was how slow going it all was.  I still intend to try that mod again sometime but not anytime soon because I do like the faster increases in population right now from vanilla.

Quote from: brads3 on June 27, 2019, 02:40:10 PM
         as MOONBELF mentioned,a 10 or 12 square hoding pen near the trade posts helps buy time. 
Yeah, I will build a small pasture to transfer livestock out immediately and I also like your suggestion to build it at the trading post; it's only logical and it makes sense. I'll do that. Every. Game.  LOL

My poor, poor, chickies!  :'(

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.

brads3

the big difference between the age mods is the popluation is ar 1 speed and the game play is anther. you grow food and cut firewood on a year to year base.the bannies work from season to season. the population however grows at a different pace. you  grow food at the same pace as a 1 yr mod but need it faster. during the slow time,we are busy stockpiling supplies,clearing more land,setting up soe buildings,etc. plus it gives time to plan ahead. does give a safety cushion to avoid issues or buy time to solve them.

theonlywanderer

There really is no right or wrong way to play banished until you try and set goals.

However, the basic intent of the game is quite simple....  expand and grow!    You can't really get away from this because you either expand and grow or the population dies from old age.

You can start off placing everything free willy nilly, but eventually you'll have to fill in all that space and this is where the trouble begins.  If you can't make things fit, you will have to start demolishing stuff which doesn't give you back all resources spent to build it, so it becomes wasteful and time consuming.   If you don't try and build somewhat efficient, you will find that bannies don't function very well and you struggle to maintain all forms of production.    If they have to walk too far between their home, getting food, getting supplies and work, it just becomes a disaster.

MarkAnthony

Hey there @theonlywanderer ,

I have seen and read most of your recent replies lately regarding the aging mods but I don't recall if you ever said whether or not you use them or not. I think, based on some of your replies that you do not use them, right?

Just curious.

theonlywanderer

@MarkAnthony

I'm one of the fast builders, slowing down aging would drive me bonkers!   When I want to just mess around and not focus on the game aspect, I will use MegaMod with misc single mods that weren't included and Debug.   Build and do whatever I want free from time, aging, or any other game constraints.

And, for the record....  in case it was ever in question, I don't have anything against any mods at all.   Aging mod seems like a good fix for people who like to build slowly.