Just a general comment on the game & a note of thanks to all the modders

Started by TheOtherMicheal, October 28, 2016, 10:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOtherMicheal

While I've been making use of CC, NMT, Colonial Houses and Small Town Rowhouses for some time to make varied and large towns, I've found that the range of mods from Discrepancy, kid1293, tanypredator, embx61 and of course RedKetchup, plus the individual components that Tom Sawyer has pulled out from his Banished To The North mod (and other modders whose names I can't remember right now) have actually changed the way I play the game - definitely for the better.

When I first starting playing Banished, I used to focus on making one or two large, spreadout towns. Now with so many small but excellent mods to increase my building & farming options, I tend to make one central village (to expand into the main town) and a number of smaller villages further out on the map. It's a big change from the sloppy way I used to build settlements.
So far, I have 600+ hours on Banished, I'm quite certain that with all these great mods, I'll rack up another 600 hours and still be playing Banished for years to come. The only other games I've played for that length of time are TES V: Skyrim and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, completely different gamestyles to Banished. What keeps me coming back to Banished is the mods. Just to be clear, I did enjoy the survival idea of the vanilla game but I love the freedom and creativity given to the game by all the mods

So after all that, what I'm really saying is "Thank you" to all the modders, for all the mods, big or small. We might not say thanks often enough but for some of us, you folks really make the game a more enjoyable experience than I've found in some of the latest big name game releases (I'm looking at you Fallout 4).

Discrepancy

I agree with you completely. also about Fallout 4 :)
I've always liked the look of the Banished landscape. On Med-Large maps I will make 1 larger town, and small villages & hamlets around the outskirts, I try to keep as much forest between villages as I can. It gives another challenge of having to deal with a wider-spread community, builders can sometimes take a long time to travel to jobs. Vendors love only picking up small amounts of produce from the furthermost storage... fun.

I also wish to thank all the other Banished modders out there, all of you have added great dimensions to this game, and also inspired and motivated me to also make my own.

... my Banished playtime clock has reached 1018hrs!.... most of that was from before starting my own modding though, which has proved to be even more addictive.

Nilla

You are so right; all the modder keep this game alive. We cannot thank them enough for their effort! :)

Abandoned

Adding my thanks as well.  I am certainly enjoying trying the mods, have many more to look forward to that I have yet to try. I am very glad I found this forum.  I will certainly keep the outlying village strategy in mind when I advance from small to medium and large maps.  So thanks also to posters of game hints and tips.

Turis

Well, I'll still keep a well supply of dirty diapers, but, I'm just joking anyway. I do appreciate the hard work they're doing in their mods.

kid1293

I'll go after you Turis, and hang up the diapers. :)
(sorry, that came out wrong, I wash then first)  ;D

We are all in it for the fun and exchanging ideas.
I've been active for 10 months now.
At least I have a virtual life now.  ;)

One of the fun things is people taking up Blender as a tool.
Now it does not feel so impossible to mod with Blender. (hint, hint)

Discrepancy

Quote from: kid1293 on October 29, 2016, 07:31:52 AM
One of the fun things is people taking up Blender as a tool.
Now it does not feel so impossible to mod with Blender. (hint, hint)

Absolutely! I had very little knowledge of 3d modelling/Blender before, but with the help and guidance of the Banished community, a few Blender tutorials, and just keep practicing it is not very hard to use. It is fun, perhaps more so than actually playing Banished ;)
You can see what I have released in the last 6-8 months. And this is only when I can find time around FullTimeWork/Family/Mrs/Pets/etc.. so it is time-consuming but no more so than playing. Once you have successfully got your first model into the game, things fall into place rather quickly when you have lots of ideas.

RedKetchup

i think i ve played like 1 night of 3-4 hrs since the Modkit got launched 2 years ago.

it is more fun to create something new than playing lolll

i want too to say a BIG THANKS YOU to all the modders here
you are really keeping this game and forum alive :)

THUMBS UP
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 29, 2016, 09:47:26 PMi think i ve played like 1 night of 3-4 hrs since the Modkit got launched 2 years ago.

That's precisely why I promised myself not to pick up modding again...  :)

I'm content now to watch the creative process, engage in conversation, share ideas... mostly spending quiet nights building my tiny villages, enjoying to see them slowly grow and prosper, improving them with new things as they become available.

At my age, one gets a different sense of steadily accelerating time - and I understand very well how much time and effort goes into modding. You guys are giving us freely what's most precious - your time.

And for that I am most grateful.  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

TheOtherMicheal

I'm like Paeng, quite a few years have passed since I first tried modding games and so I enjoy finding new mods and trying them out because really, I was never that good at modding in the first place!  ;D
I find that these days I get frustrated too quickly because I want a mod I make to be as good as I can get it but I no longer have the patience to make mods.
Rather than get annoyed by it all, I would rather spend my time enjoying the game. It also increase my appreciate of those modders who continually work to make great mods.