News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Summerset Swamp - Story 24

Started by Abandoned, June 09, 2018, 01:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro: 

This story is a test of a new soon to be released mod called Kid Swamp Thing.  This is the 24th Story in the Smallville Series.  This group did not set out from Smallville but were one of several groups of land surveyors sent out from the railroad town of Chattachoo in story 4.  They left Chattachoo when the railroad tunnel to the south was completed in year 47 SVT and finally found their way out of the mountains only to become lost in the swamp.  After several futile attempts they reached the conclusion that they would never escape the swamp and the only way they would survive at all was to settle where they were and make the best of a bad situation.  This is their story of survival in Summerset Swamp.

The map seed is # 269884875  Swamp Terrain,  Small,  Swampy Climate,  disaster Off,  Easy Swamp

Mods activated for this map and load order are:

Map changing and Starting Mods:  Banished UI Maps & Mods, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, New Flora with Gatherer, Swamp Archi Texture.

Tweak Mods:  Better Fields, 1:1 alternative (Voeille), Rock Respawn, Simple Tombstones, Tiny Smoke

Major or Must Have Mods:  An Empty Square, Nomad Sign Complete, Kid Swamp Thing, Kid Tiny Separate, Maritime Dock Set, Maritime PEI Shores.

Supporting Mods:  Campfire, Decorative Plants-evergreen, EB Apothecary v1, I See Fire, Kid Forest Ponds, Kid Gothic Farm, Kid Old Fence, Orchard Forester, Shroom, Smoking Shed, Storage Crates, Tunnel Mine v2, Water and Other Decorations.

Special thanks go to @kid1293  for creating the Swamp Thing mod and for delaying its release until Summerset Swamp story is completed thus keeping the ending a secret.  In the meantime, I hope you will enjoy the story, I know you will enjoy the mod when it is release.   Thanks again, Kid  :)

So, weary traveler, you have the choice to stay in the swamp or go.  We had no choice, we simply could not go on.  We had been going around in circles trying to find a way out and had given up hope of ever finding the way.  That summer we decided to set down roots and stay where we where.  We named our settlement Summerset, and yes, weary traveler, there was some "thing" in the swamp.

RedKetchup

your world banished map is starting to me full :)
i like the way you did :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Thanks @RedKetchup , yes it is getting a little crowded now. Savidan did a nice job making this map for me, I only need to add the new towns as I go along. The first challenge starting a story is finding a place on the map for it  :D and having the river flowing in the right direction.  This time it was easy, Summerset is just somewhere in the swamp.  :)

Gatherer

This is going to be mighty interesting methinks.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

:) I hope so, and I promise it will not be nearly as long as the last story.  I will not keep everyone waiting too long for the new mod.

rkelly17

@Abandoned, I've been away from WoB for awhile (the siren song of other games) so I have missed your work up to now. After seeing this latest installment I went back and read all of your previous chronicles. Wow!!! You have created the first Banished Epic. I just love the idea of a unified map which brings all of your settlements together and gives a common thread. Each chapter in the chronicle is well-written and compelling. Truly a Banished classic.

Abandoned

Thank you so much for the kind words @rkelly17 . Things did rather snowball after Smallville  :D Our talented modders always seem to inspire just one more story  ;D

Abandoned

Chapter 1

Well, weary traveler, it was beyond me why the Chattachooians built railroad tunnels without knowing where they would go.  We arrived in Chattachoo from the cold north but the town was not accepting nomads at that time.  They said they would give us supplies if we went through the tunnel to the south and send word back about what lay beyond.  What choice did we have, we were 12 adults with young children, we needed those supplies. 

We found nothing but mountains to the south of Chattachoo and soon became lost.  We finally found our way out of the mountains and reached the river but the cliffs were too high on that side.  We built 2 rafts sturdy enough to get us to the other side.  We thought for sure we would come to a town if we followed the river but instead we found pirates. Yes, pirates!  We hid in the trees and watched them. They were rummaging through a riverboat.  We saw no sign of the boatman. Suddenly it was as if they saw or heard something that frightened them.  They grabbed what they could and hurried off leaving the boat behind.  Strange but every one of those pirates had only 1 leg.

We waited until they were out of sight and then several of the men went to have a look.  They did not find the boatman but they found some iron tools, hide coats, potatoes, and seeds.  We soon learned that carrying anything through the swamp was not easy, it was difficult enough just walking over the soggy swampy terrain.  And we soon became hopelessly lost again.  When we reached the same dead end for the third time we decided to settled there.

By then there were 20 of us, 12 adults and 8 young children.  My name is Yolondon and my husband is Darred.  We built houses and a storage shed for our supplies.  We rounded up a small flock of wild swamp chickens and built a pasture for them.  We cleared land for a crop field but feared the corn seeds might rot in the soggy ground before they sprouted, but with the warm temperatures the corn was soon up and growing. The reeds we gathered when clearing the land we packed into fuel bricks, we would need fires not only for cooking but to help control the dampness in our houses.

We built a town hall and school but not before Sant became an adult and began fishing as soon as the pier was built.  There were plenty of logs for building, we would probably not need to chop any for firewood, there were plenty of reeds to make fuel bricks instead.  When we cut trees and the sun warmed the swampy soil, strange mushroom trees would sprout.  There were pretty ferns and flowering shrubs, and some wild foods and herbs to gather.  We would not go hungry in Summerset Swamp.

LadyMarmalade

I'm loving this!  Can't wait to read the next instalment :)
I am not a Gamer because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many.

Abandoned

:) Nice to hear @LadyMarmalade , I hope you enjoy the rest of the story.  chapter 2 coming later today  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 2

We spotted deer to the west of town and promptly built a hunting hideout.  There were swamp chickens in the area that would provide game meat and down for clothing.  Closer to town in that direction were wild bees.  We built a bee keeper, and there were a few trees there that would provide some apples.  Behind the Swamp Hall we built a swamp workshop.  We would make iron tools until we had enough leather, flax, or down to make clothing.  Cool linen clothing would be welcome in the high temperatures and humidity of the swamp.  Warm coats would keep out the damp chill of winter.

Year 1's winter project was to build a cemetery across from the bee keeper in case it was needed.  By year's end our population had increased by 3, our own daughter Evonnie was born in early summer. In late autumn we began to build stone roads, the swamp stones would keep our feet from  sinking too deeply into the soggy swamp soil.  Stone roads would make walking faster and easier especially when carrying a heavy load. 

By late winter our inventory showed a nice variety of foods although we could use more of everything.  By early spring of year 2 we build a short jetty across the small stream to the north.  There was flat land there that could be cleared for crop fields.  We wanted to get our bean and mushroom seeds planted before they rotted in this damp climate.  The land was cleared for 2 crop fields and a food storage shed was built nearby.  Stone roads made going from the crop fields to the shed or back to town much easier.

Nilla

These "Swamp Thing" seems pretty interesting and nice looking. As always, I'm looking forward on your story! :)

kid1293

@Nilla - There is more to it than meets the eye.
I am sure we are in for a real treat! :)

galensgranny

Is there a swamp monster?   It seems like there might be.   I don't suppose there really could be one in the game.

Those mushroom trees are fun.  Can you eat them?
I like the buildings.  Do they have an alternative roof?

Nilla

Quote from: kid1293 on June 11, 2018, 09:05:04 PM
@Nilla - There is more to it than meets the eye.
I am sure we are in for a real treat! :)

From the start "teaser" I understood there is something exciting to come. I'm sure @Abandoned will take good care of your "baby"! ;)