News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The Long Dark

Started by angainor88, December 20, 2018, 06:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angainor88

Not a simulation game, rather a survival game (and my favorite one), so I thought I'd share some screenshots, since it is a beautiful game when you are stumbling overburdened through a blizzard or being eaten by wolves :P

Hawk

Nice screenshots.  :)

I bought TLD back in June of last year and have been enjoying it ever since. The music really helps to add to the atmosphere of the game too.
I can't count the hours I have in the game.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Hawk

I like the solitude of the game.

It does suck that Hinterland decided to stop selling TLD at GoG but Raph said they would continue to keep it updated. That doesn't make sense to me cause now they have to create the GoG version, even though they make no money from that platform, and GoG supposedly will continue to update the game even though they make no money from it.

I see that relationship not lasting long. Glad I got the game at half price. I may never see the finished version.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

angainor88

I like the solitude too, it's very relaxing.

I also like playing it in summer too, so I can feel less hot. Though I get jealous of the player character then...

angainor88

Talking about it made me want to play again, so I'm going to try out one of the Challenges. Hopefully I won't be mauled too much.

Hawk

Which Challenge are you going to undertake? Keep in mind the The Hunted is not yet complete, so it's possible it could have some changes done to it before it's complete.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

angainor88

I'm starting with one of the easier ones, Nomad. Since I usually only play on Pilgrim it's still going to be a challenge :P

I think I remember where all the bears are... wolves I am not so sure...

I landed in Pleasant Valley right off the bat, which is the map I know least. I keep hearing wolf howls from like every direction haha

Hawk

Pleasant Valley is one of my favorite regions.  :)

If you already have the 1.4.2 update, from what I understand the wolf howling is almost continuous. Some say to the point of being obnoxious. Based on some of the comments I've read at the Hinterland forum, I may very well not like the 1.4.2 update and just revert back to 1.3.7
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

angainor88

Pleasant Valley is the one I get lost in the most haha. The mapping feature has saved my life at least twice in sudden blizzards there.

I did think the wolf howls were more frequent than normal... But I put that down to my adrenaline fueled brain that  appreciates them announcing their presence.

I finished all but one of the Pleasant Valley locations (still have to do the radio control hut), but I decided to go get the Timberwolf mountain one, since it was closer, and I really love the Mountaineers Cabin (ice fishing!).

Hawk

Good luck with the challenge. I think that's the only one I've played.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

Hawk

Well, the update to TLD finally became available at GOG on the 2nd and I just installed it today.
I must say, I think this version is going to be a keeper.  ;D

Hinterland said they did some game optimizations and it seems as if they did. Prior to this update I ran TLD with the graphics set at max, with the exception of SSAO, which would bring my frame rates down to the teens to single digit. Now I can run TLD with SSAO maxed and my frame rates run between 20 and 40.

I should add that I'm running a reasonably low end system for TLD, or at least the GPU.

QuoteMotherboard - ASRock M3A770DE
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 965 - 3.42 GHz
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 768 MB - Driver Version: 391.35
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Memory - (2) 4096 MB Dual Channel (8 GB total) PC3-12800 DDR3-SDRAM Corsair - 1600 MHz
Sound Card - OnBoard
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

angainor88

Ooo yay! I am glad they came through for you!

I haven't looked at my graphics settings too much, I usually only get the frame rate drop when it autosaves. I am glad they streamlined it though!

Hawk

Have you checked your brightness settings since the 1.4.4 release? I highly recommend checking. It will most likely need some adjusting.
I had to adjust mine down by 15, from 110 to 95. Things look a lot better.

Apparently some of the optimization they did had a lot to do with fixing the overall brightness of the game.
Everyone I read something from have done it.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

angainor88

Yeah I am appreciating the interior lighting balance. I saw some people complaining about blue light in the morning, but I haven't noticed anything that would be something to complain about. It all looks good to me :)

I haven't changed my brightness settings though, so maybe I should check them. I usually play at night for better ambiance :P

angainor88

Woo! Finished the Nomad challenge!