News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Eclipse

Started by kee, March 20, 2015, 06:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kee

A 15 minute break in the clouds at the peak of todays eclipse allowed for some wow moments. Photographing it was a pain- the blooming vas hard to get rid of. The light measurer on my eos 100 wasn't really up to the task, but I got some good shots. Here's one.
Kim Erik

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

WOW
We had it to 80% here as well, but clouds, clouds, clouds  :(

My daughter studies at Svalbard! (100%) I saw it at the television! It must have been great! I will call her tonight.

kee

That must have been such an experience. Listened to the radio with reports from there while working. Clear skies, can you believe their luck?
Google translate this page for a video from there:
http://www.nrk.no/troms/gjenopplev-den-historiske-solformorkelsen-1.12270763
Kim Erik

salamander

Nice picture.  But also a bummer ... we didn't get nearly as nice a view of the eclipse in the NE US.

RedKetchup

i didnt even know there was one... i was sleeping ^^

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 20, 2015, 02:00:05 PM
i didnt even know there was one... i was sleeping ^^
yeah at 7.41 UTC ( 3.41 am Montreal)  there wasn't much to see anyway ;)
Most of Europe didn't see diddly squat.  Either Cloudy or foggy.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

RedKetchup

Quote from: chillzz on March 20, 2015, 06:38:13 PM
( 3.41 am Montreal)

lol so it was a double eclipse ^^ eclisped by the moon, double eclipsed by the earth itself ^^

(triple eclipsed : by my bed ^^)

rkelly17

Very nice picture @kee. Partial eclipse pictures are not easy. I hope you were using a proper eclipse filter for your own eyes and your camera. Looking at the sun can create a blind spot on your retina and looking through a lens makes it worse. A certain glass used in welders' masks can work well. As noted by others, to get totality out of this eclipse you had to be pretty far north and have clear skies. I can't count the number of astronomical events I've missed because of clouds here in Southern Ontario.

kee

Used my welders mask. On the camera I used the lcd screen to see what I was pointing at and had a polarizing filter on in an attempt to minimize the scattering. I also took some pictures through a welders glass, but that fraked out the electronics completely on the camera, it believed it was down a coalmine or something considering the shutter times it attempted.
Kim Erik

rkelly17

Cameras are funny that way, aren't they. They get so obsessed over light.

And isn't it convenient that you have a welder's mask! Though being outside in a welder's mask staring at the sun might provoke some questions.  ;D

I looked at the last transit of Venus across the sun with welders glass over binoculars, but the last eclipse around here I observed with the old "pin hole in aluminum foil" trick. It showed up surprisingly well.