News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Pangaea - Langtvekkistan

Started by Pangaea, September 15, 2014, 11:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Aye, it's quite useful :)

For instance, here is a picture from north of the starting area. I don't actually want to build a farm there, but thanks to the mod, I can. Can't put down houses or anything, and by hovering a Quarry over it, just about the whole elevated area is red. But because the people can pathfind across it, they can also farm it.

Pangaea

Year 20.

The starting area looks much the same, but across the river the farmland has expanded. We've also acquired another seed, pumpkins, and a merchant was evil enough to toss some chickens our way when he left one evening. If they get too noisy again, I may have to kill 'em all, but I hope the mod that cuts their chatter by 50% make them less annoying.

There is also a picture of a farm over a hill. Works quite well, and I tried to get the most out of the pumpkin area by the mountain.

Dysentery broke out in year 17, the first disease. Nobody died, but about 15-20 people got infected. It happened about 4-5 months after a family of nomads were accepted into town. Is that too long, or was it indeed the nomads who brought it?

RedKetchup

just missing .... some awesome fence designs :)

joking , continue your good work :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

I am no fan of these mods that in any way make the game easier, taking away "the edges". That´s the reason I thought; better fields - uninteresting for me.

But as I look at your pictures, I must change my mind. These fields on the hills, look really nice, more realistic, making the agriculture part of a map more interesting. And to be true it doesn´t really make the game easier, unless you play a small mountain map, agriculture space is not really a limitation in this game.

Thank´s for showing.

i have one question. I read at the beginning that you use the "year not season mod", how does it affect the game?

rkelly17

Pre-mod I was once or twice able to get the effect in the screenshot next to the road, but only by building the field first and adding the road after. With the mod field placement has become more natural. Now, how about a mod that enables building roads wherever citizens can walk?

Pangaea

Quote from: Nilla on September 17, 2014, 03:41:12 AM
I am no fan of these mods that in any way make the game easier, taking away "the edges". That´s the reason I thought; better fields - uninteresting for me.

But as I look at your pictures, I must change my mind. These fields on the hills, look really nice, more realistic, making the agriculture part of a map more interesting. And to be true it doesn´t really make the game easier, unless you play a small mountain map, agriculture space is not really a limitation in this game.

Thank´s for showing.

i have one question. I read at the beginning that you use the "year not season mod", how does it affect the game?

Better fields mod does make it possible to farm some areas that would otherwise be hard or impossible, but it's not a huge change. As you say there is loads of farmable land anyway, so a slight increase doesn't alter it too much. Perhaps it would be different on a mountainous map, but I've never tried those. The mod 'only' changes it so that you can put farms where the people can pathfind, so they can't put it all over a mountain for instance.

The season to year mod doesn't change anything with the game itself. It only changes a text string. For example in buildings where you see what they produced the last year/season and this, it changes the text string from season to year. That is all.  I suspect it would clash with translations because it changes the main string resource in the game, instead of making its own, but that isn't a problem in my case.

I did put in a mod that changes the game play a bit, the one that allows me to delete quarries and mines without leaving unusable land. So far, however, I haven't built a single mine or quarry, and hopefully it can stay that way. In effect it makes them bottomless too, because you can delete them and build a new one, so you probably don't want to try that mod based on your preference.

Edit: I've edited the first post to include links to the mods, and there is a bit of info of them at the mods site. Here is a picture that shows the season-to-year mod:
http://i.imgur.com/WOwLyp7.jpgRe: Pangaea - Langtvekkistan

Pangaea

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 17, 2014, 06:45:39 AM
Pre-mod I was once or twice able to get the effect in the screenshot next to the road, but only by building the field first and adding the road after. With the mod field placement has become more natural. Now, how about a mod that enables building roads wherever citizens can walk?

Cross posted, but that would be nice indeed. Especially if it didn't muck up the elevation too, and followed the land like the modded farmfields do. At least the farmlands would then flow naturally over the landscape, like happens in real life, rather than roads mucking up the landscape a bit.

Pangaea

25 years

Things have been going a bit slow and not a lot has changed. However, we did get some sheep, and have just purchased 4 cows as well. Have parked them up north, where they will hopefully annoy me less ;)

Growth has felt slow, so I was glad when 19 nomads dropped by. Access to stone is becoming an issue, despite not building a single stone house (I don't like how they look - at all).

Have also purchased quite a few more seeds, but a little orchard patch aside, I've barely expanded farms nor orchards. Food is coming out our ears, though, so the main issue right now is where to store it all. Really wish the vendors were more on their toes to remove stuff from 100% filled barns, but I guess as long as the market is well-stocked, they don't really care too much about the barns.

Closing in on 200 people, which is a bit less than the 2000 people others would have at this stage :D

Oh, we also constructred probably the smallest bridge I've ever seen. Combined it was 4 squared 'long', but the actual bridge is only 2 ;D

Pangaea

Year 30

We had a scare with overflowing barns, and after having a look at the farming area across the river, I decided to put up a big housing block (south end of the picture), hoping it would strain the market and barns there a little more, as most barns in that area were topped to the rafters, which again had the consequence of farmers walking longer to deliver their goods. Not good. It seems a little better now, but I still wish the vendors were more efficient to reshuffle between barns too. Apart from temp-destroying barns, which is too much of a nag IMO, is there a decent way to deal with this, so the barns aren't routinely so full?

I re-jigged most of the farms to slightly smaller sizes. It's only been a couple of harvests, but it looks promising so far :) It's now mostly 9x10 and 15x6, as that fit the space already occupied. We have 7 seeds, and are growing all types.

In the NE corner of the picture is a small hub with a chapel, school and hospital. I reckon that will be infection zone numero uno if there is another outbreak! :D

It feels like ten years ago, but finally the trader dropped by with the coal we ordered. He came with 6000 and we managed to buy 2300. I'm going to try an approach which will hopefully reduce the risk of citizens hogging up most of the coal. I've stocked both trading posts with 1000 coal each, and will release it little by little, in the spring and summer. *crosses fingers*

Unsure where to expand to now. In practically every direction there are forest hubs, which also yields us medicine, leather and venison (I love trading away venison). It's getting to the population size where my last attempt ended 5-6 months ago, so I'm not at all used to building big cities in Banished. What's the general approach to expanding when you get to the mid-game or so? Is it best to push the forest dwellers further out, and then expand the core with farms, orchards, pastures, industry and houses?

Nilla

QuoteIt feels like ten years ago, but finally the trader dropped by with the coal we ordered. He came with 6000 and we managed to buy 2300. I'm going to try an approach which will hopefully reduce the risk of citizens hogging up most of the coal. I've stocked both trading posts with 1000 coal each, and will release it little by little, in the spring and summer. *crosses fingers*

Why don´t you buy the steel tools instead of the coal to make them? Steel tools are cheap.

Pangaea

Quote from: Nilla on September 19, 2014, 05:10:41 AM
QuoteIt feels like ten years ago, but finally the trader dropped by with the coal we ordered. He came with 6000 and we managed to buy 2300. I'm going to try an approach which will hopefully reduce the risk of citizens hogging up most of the coal. I've stocked both trading posts with 1000 coal each, and will release it little by little, in the spring and summer. *crosses fingers*

Why don´t you buy the steel tools instead of the coal to make them? Steel tools are cheap.

That is a good point, and although I have bought some steel tools they have come around with, I'll probably do more of it. Do you usually order steel tols then, or rely on buying when it comes?

Between citizens hogging coal and the blacksmiths often wandering off to get any of the three required goods, it's not all that efficient really to buy coal and produce steel tools. Perhaps that overall it would be better to produce iron tools, export those, and buy steel tools instead.

What I liked about your blog was that it was entirely self-sufficient. This village isn't, but I'd like to rein in the trading a bit and not spam the map with OP-posts.

irrelevant

Can't speak for anyone else, but I always place orders with every merchant for everything that I need (constantly reviewing and changing what is on order with each, except for food, that never changes). Costs more, but tones the OP-ness down a bit. You should like that  ;)

Nilla

me too. i always put orders.

at the beginning I build one or maybe two toolmakers and let them produce iron tolls, i do net sell those tools, I keep them as a reserve if there aren´t enough tradesmen or I cannot afford to buy so much steel tools as I like. I would never sell tools, OK, there is  a small profit, but iron is, as see it, a limited resource, that you also need for building. There are better things to sell if you want to buy tools.

irrelevant

Yes, selling iron tools has some downsides. The necessity to buy iron. Having it sit around filling up stockpiles. And using up logs. And having blacksmiths everywhere. I suppose I'd be better off trading firewood for tools instead. But it's always so tempting, "well, the market stocks logs and iron already, so I could easily support a blacksmith here...."

Plus, trading firewood seems like the most OP thing of all.

Nilla

yes, wood and ale has about the same yearly profit for each building, but wood is more difficult, because the people need a lot of it as well, so it is harder if you trade automatically. For each worker i think meat is even more profitable.