News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla - Coburgh - a big settlement (I hope) with NMT-mod and no education

Started by Nilla, July 21, 2015, 06:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

After I tested the latest update of the NMT-mod a little bit, I made a small Banished brake again. Sometimes it's getting too much. But than, I somehow miss Banished and I also miss writing these blogs. Addiction?!   :-\ ;)

I must confess, that it still annoys me a little bit, that I couldn't finish that last big game, that the bugs made an end to it. So I decided to make another attempt. I wanted to fill a medium map, use the NMT-mod; the nice and space saving houses, the canals, the markets, as far as possible. To have a little variation, I decided to make this game without farming. A lot of trade, yes, but also a lot of pastures (sheep and cows) with a thought to export meat- and milk products. I started the game. It grew. The settlement prospered, but I was bored. Everything went too smooth and with some 200 inhabitants, I lost interest and stopped the game. It is nothing really bad, no critic, just a conclusion; the mods makes the game easier and when I had found out, how to use the small markets and the canals; boring.  :-\

What to do?

The uneducated punishment! YES! That will definitely make this modded game harder than a no-modded normal game. Of cause, it's not possible to support as many uneducated people on this limited space as you can, if you let them have their education, but that doesn't matter. I never wanted to achieve any population records. I want to fill the map. If it's 5000 or 10000 inhabitants, that's not important. In any case it will be a big game, if I succeed.

First I thought of tearing the schools down and go on with uneducated gradually, as the old educated people died. But than I would have missed the tricky start, so I started a new game. My Coburgh. (The name was set by the game but is an actual German town/county, if you take away the last h. The mother of our king was a Coburg princess before she was married. I have visited the ancient castle. It was conquered once: By the evil Swedes in the religious wars in the 1700s century.)

I'll show you a couple of pictures

First picture

Map and mods. Not many mods.

Second picture, year 10

10 years have gone by. Now I notice the uneducated effect. In the educated game, I started with 2 "forest nodes" and had plenty of food and wood. I had to build a third in this game, but it's still just barely enough. I have built 3 trading ports along the little stream (I hope you don't disapprove all too much @RedKetchup, I will build a real canal later). The problem is only; I haven't much to sell. The people snatch away the venison and the river is too far away to support them with cheap fish. But than I remembered the nice ponds! After I've built the pond it's getting a little bit better. I will build a few more, but as always (with uneducated worse); not enough building materials. Everything in a decent distance from my settlement is harvested. I order as much as I can, but have to plan very carefully, what I build, when I get some.

Third picture, year 15

Finally enough building materials to build a city hall.

I'm trying to produce as much tools and cloths as I can, as long as there are some educated persons left. I do as much "house switching" as I can, but sometimes it seems like the game prefere uneducated, far away living, young people instead of the old people, living in the same building. The old widow living upstairs from the tailor is everything but tailor (or blacksmith).    ::)

Nilla

My uneducated NMT-game goes on. It's a struggle, not an easy game, but it works. I'll show you a couple of pictures.

First picture

Year 20

After I have built this little trading village, it's much easier. But still the amount of available building materials controls the development.

These are specialized trading ports. Two of them for raw materials (a blessing), the other two for food. I need a lot of logs to produce firewood, to buy a lot of building materials. In one of the ports I order only logs, at the other stones and iron. That works well. I started to order all three materials at both ports, but the merchants somehow prefer to bring iron, than stones and maybe some logs, if they are in a good mode. So it happened several times, that I ran out of logs, and couldn't produce enough firewood to buy enough materials.....................

I have also started the pie production. I order apples and wheat. I've built some apiaries, so I don't have to buy any honey at the beginning. In my other NMT-settlement, I built 2-3 bakeries for each windmill. Here with the uneducated, there will be less flour from every mill, so I plan two bakeries for one windmill. At the start, I want to increase the stores of flour, so now it's more like 1:1.

Second picture

Year 21.  Starting position and main village.

You can see, that I cannot build homes for every couple, far from that. Not enough building materials.

You may also see that the last educated starting population is gone. I think the old lady upstairs from the tailor, was the last surviving founder of the settlement. Until her death, she was stubborn and refused to be a tailor (although I was happy for a short period, as she was the blacksmith). I have a lot of tools now, but I don't think I've ever played a game with uneducated, without running out of tools. I will try to make it better this time, so I order steel tools early and I've also built a second toolmaker. I don't want to build more, because I have no intention to produce any tools later in the game. Not with these uneducated material "spoilers"

Third picture

Year 21, pasture area.

It took some time, but finally I got sheep and cows. I plan to build pastures in that whole area. There will be tailors and butchers in the area south of the pastures.

Even with so many families more than homes, the population grows; nice and steady. It's uneducated people so the average age of founding a family is still 20 or maybe a little less.

irrelevant

I love playing uneducated towns! It is a satisfying challenge.

Which mod gives you the specialized traders? duh, nevermind  ::)

I enjoy your blogs very much, and I'm glad you are doing this one. Good luck with your map-filling mission.

Nilla

Yes, @irrelevant, me too, I like this game much better now.

I haven't played so much the last few days, but a I can show you the development from a couple of more years. So far; everything works as planned.

First picture, year 23

The new chopper area. They produce firewood for export. I have more woodcutters closer to my main living area. There is a hardware store in one of the buildings in the woodcutter settlement. Sometimes I leave the space for the first floor empty (arrow).  I might want to build a general store there later, but still the stockpiles on the small areas are enough. I leave the space for other markets in other areas, too.

Second picture, year 28

The "pie area" (center), "meat area" (upper right) and "domestic chopper area" (upper left). I build these small areas around the specialized markets. It worked well in that other big game and it works here as well.

I've just reached 500 people. I have enough supply, not even a tool crisis, yet.  ;D

I try to keep this "rule of thumb" : 1 tool, 1 clothes, 10 firewood and 100 food for each inhabitant, although the stores of food are much bigger. That's because of the pie production. I need a lot of wheat, flour, apples and honey to keep the production as high as possible. Still it's "only" about 400 pies for each worker. And they need a lot of ingredients. Do they burn so many pies or in which way do they fail? Obviously they have to throw away a lot of pies. They use more ingredients, but produce much less pies than the educated.  :-\ ::)

irrelevant

It is interesting how NMT changes how the town gets built. I still haven't got that far with it, I am so slow.

Uneducated really do grow pop fast.

Uneducated pie-making, they probably have problems crimping the crusts. =]

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on July 26, 2015, 06:36:19 AM
It is interesting how NMT changes how the town gets built. I still haven't got that far with it, I am so slow.

Uneducated really do grow pop fast.

Uneducated pie-making, they probably have problems crimping the crusts. =]

loollll

and after people will say : mods are bad cause they make the game too much easy and non-interessant ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 26, 2015, 07:53:49 AM

and after people will say : mods are bad cause they make the game too much easy and non-interessant ^^

I don't say it's bad. But sure, it makes the game easier. That's a fact. Many people like it that way. And others, like me, could compensate it, with playing without schools. That make it even more interesting.

I would say the mods makes the game richer. The good mods, like yours, @RedKetchup

RedKetchup

Nilla

We have a terrible weather here at the moment; wool socks and sweater in July!   :o >:(
And we are going to the outdoor opera tonight. I suppose I have to dig out my winter clothes from the back of the closet.  :(

Not much to do outside; Banished times!

First picture, year 33

I've gone south! (Maybe hoping for better weather ;) )

Second picture, year 35

Fast development. You can see my tactic for this settlement; pies, firewood, fishponds.

I have started to build ponds on the mountain sides, around the whole settlement. It will make us self sufficient on proteins. It's more efficient than pastures, considering the space. One fisher catches 300-400 fishers each year. That's good for uneducated workers on that small space. Not quite as good as a really good normal fishing dock, but better than most locations. It could be a good idea, @RedKetchup to reduce the number of fishers to 2. I would find that more balanced, compared to other food producers.

Third picture, year 36

Here you can see the consequences of changing your plans: I planned the doctor (arrow) at a dead end with only a couple of fishers and houses around, but than I changed my mind. I had too little firewood and developed another chopper area with a few markets and roads, but forgot the doctor. That clinic is now on the main road! Stupid! The first sick one went immediately into that hospital and a lot of people passed by and got sick, too. So here we are! It's not a really bad decease, so not all too many died, but still; stupid mistake!

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on July 28, 2015, 06:14:24 AM
We have a terrible weather here at the moment; wool socks and sweater in July!   :o >:(
And we are going to the outdoor opera tonight. I suppose I have to dig out my winter clothes from the back of the closet.  :(

We could send you a few degrees--it's in the mid 30s C in Southern Ontario this week. (Emoji of me sweating)

RedKetchup

gah, pools on mountain side are..... so ugly :(

when i ll be back to modding.... at fall... after summer....  i will need to modify that

Nilla

yes! I admit myself guilty of using these nice parts in an ugly way.  :-[

But you know, @RedKetchup; this game is only about efficiency, not beauty. And the ponds sure are efficient!  ;D

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on July 30, 2015, 05:42:09 AM

But you know, @RedKetchup; this game is only about efficiency, not beauty. And the ponds sure are efficient!  ;D
I also am an ugly builder. All I care about is how well it works. ;D But you are even better (worse?) at this than I am. ;) I love your towns.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on July 30, 2015, 05:53:01 PM
Quote from: Nilla on July 30, 2015, 05:42:09 AM

I also am an ugly builder. All I care about is how well it works. ;D But you are even better (worse?) at this than I am. ;) I love your towns.

;D

I don't find your settlements ugly!

Maybe I'll show you some more of my ugly stuff later!

Nilla

Just want to show some more pictures from my settlement. Everything works well. No bugs. No new epidemics. No big trouble at all. It grows fast. I'm in year 39. 1650 citizens.

First picture

The southern area is full, so now I'm moving back north. I don't need every trading port, I could build yet, but maybe I'll need them later, so I leave the footprints. But I suspect that with these uneducated there will never be enough pie or other things to sell, to fill every possible trading port, so maybe there will be houses on these places instead.

Second picture

Pasture area and population graph. You can see the epidemic on the graph. (the small indentation)

Third picture  @RedKetchup, don´t look!!!!!!

The food graph looks about the same as the population graph. So far it's not difficult to increase the stores of food. Firewood makes more trouble. I want to trade it for building materials and logs, but maybe I will have to reduce that and only use it if the merchant doesn't take any food.

I have decided not to store extra food in the trading ports or stocker-storage houses for later use. As I said from the start; I want to fill the map, not break any records. I hope that i can build a settlement that produces/is able to buy all it needs, even later.

We will see how long it will work.