News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Smallville - Story

Started by Abandoned, October 11, 2016, 09:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

brads3, I am glad you are enjoying my rather long story, I do go on.  These little people sure have minds of there own, changing jobs and houses all the time. Seems I am never ready for nomad arrivals but don't want to turn them away.  I hate any of my people to go hungry.  Would hate to have poor horses or donkeys having to haul those heavy stones and iron around, look at the size of those things.  These are some really strong hardy people. There are so many mods I want to try, Choo choo would be fun I think.  Can't decide which to do next.  But on with the story. 

Nilla

It's a nice way to describe the development of your settlement, what you want to do next and the obstacles in your way.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 6

Progress was slow but steady over the next few years.  By year 15 the new school was completed west of the town center, away from the swollen river. Our new little chapel was not big enough, it was full to overflowing.  The old mini chapel and outdoor classroom would remain open, older students would learn the old ways and survivor skills, like don't take away the two sun-warmmed rocks behind the chapel because Lessander liked to sit there for a break when going from the old mini trading post to the new one up river.  The first boatman brought wheat seed which he gave us in exchange for seedling.   He threw in a couple of old torn flour sacks that I could cut to wrap up the root balls of the next batch of seedling. He brought news of more flooding and mudslides, said we were protected here by all the many twists and turns in the river.  Said there were a lot of hungry struggling people out there; we should expect more nomads.

Year 16 brought nomads sooner than we expected; we had no housing.  Fearing another fever outbreak, no one was willing to take them in.  A tent was erected outside the mini hospital which reopened, with Byrone, my son the doctor.  We again took to the woods to gather more herbs.  There were nine nomads, most of them children. Our population was now 76, 39 adults and 37 children.  For the first time we were concerned with our food supply, we were now using more than we were producing.  A fisherman, hunter, and gatherer were added to our workforce plus a farmer for the new wheat field.  Children helped gather small stones from the new field and a stone wall was constructed to keep people from cutting through the beekeeper yard and getting stung. We had no one with the knowledge to build a mill so grinding wheat by hand would be a chore but we looked forward to homemade wheat bread and honey buns.  However, we had no new laborers to help gather stone or build houses.  We had no intentions of pulling the children out of school.  Autumn arrived and some nomads were still homeless, it was only 40 degrees with cold rain and an early snow.  Again homemade chicken soup saved the day, no one became ill but Delindsay the woodcutter died in childbirth.

By spring of year 17 we were again short of stone. With our forest management program, our log and firewood supplies were holding steady. Two bridges were constructed across Stoney Brook creek to the west in order to reach the stones on the other side.  Like father like son, Cole could not resist throwing a fishing line into the water.  We were all amazed at how many fish the boy caught from the small creek.  I often think his father, Lessiah, might still be alive, waving to boatman as they pass by, had we had the time and resources to build a proper levy on the main river.

Several years ago ,Lessander and Magdalin's son, Ranco, and my Ramonty's sister, Rilee, finished school and took over as mini woodcutter and gatherer spot by the old oat hut.  They convinced us at a town meeting that we needed more of the snug houses like the one already there.  It took less building materials and was warmer and (surprise) they wanted to marry and move into one.   Ranco now convinced us it was time to build a mine, there was the perfect spot right near where he wanted his snug house.  He was sure he could bring out stone plus iron and coal, thus adding to our fuel supply. A few warm stone house there might lure others to help with the mining.  All went as planned but none were happy with the black smoke the poured into the air from the mine.

By autumn of year 18 we had pumpkins and sheep.  It won't be long before we have wool and mutton.  Another wild oat gatherer's hut was being build south of town, we would need feed for the winter. We would often see a hungry deer in with the sheep.  Magdalin said she would stay where she was making iron tools and hide coats but her daughter, Caiynneth, said with a tailor shop a short way away near the old trading post she could make wool coats.  It was agreed and a shop was build just north of the colorful little house and wild pear trees.  We could always trade seedlings for extra hides and wool when needed.

That winter of year 19 we older women would gather at the tailor shop and collect the scraps to sew into sheepskin boots and wool mittens and patchwork rugs.  Waste not want not as mama used to say.  We were indeed warm and snug that winter.  Meanwhile, farther up north,  the new 2 story little houses added a further wind break and the gatherer at the new hut now collected the wild fruits and nuts also.  I convinced my husband to take some time off to do a little fishing. He scoffed at my insistence to add a few jetty pieces to the mini pier for safety sake.  On sunny days I could see him there from my greenhouse, but there was more building to be done, I knew I wouldn't see him there to often.

Abandoned

Nilla, glad you like my story.  Sorry I do not have more statistics I know you would like.  I had you in mind when I gave the explanation as to why the much needed stone by the chapel was still there. Some imagination I have!  Next map more pictures and statistics and less story I think.

brads3

i am amazed at how u are able to keep track of each individual person . normally i find the game moves them from house to house n job to job at random.plus with the odd names and constant building and expanding ,i've not been able to keep tabs on ppl like u do.

Abandoned

Hi brads3,  yes it is most difficult keeping track, at first I made notes and map with houses and names.  Easier at first but as population grew and jobs and houses changed I only kept track of starting families and children. Not all the children. I lost track of some. Some changes I worked into the story, others I changed the story.  I was lucky most of the starting people stayed in same house and same job. The trader, blacksmith, the main oldest couple same house but a few job changes.  The fisherman that drowned all true but I confess the boy fishing on the bridge may not be his son Cole, it may be one of his sons, in this game one never knows for sure.  The main couple's firstborn son, Byrone, was a physician for a short time, the sister did marry Ranco and he changed from woodcutter to miner. I made notes of all major changes and wrote into story.  The main couple had 3 other children still at home, have no idea where their oldest daughter is.  With the odd names it is hard to remember who is who.  Next story if there is one I may start with only 2 people to keep track of.  Hope you enjoy the rest of the story, thanks for interest.

Nilla

I use to keep track on the first 2-3 generations, too. After that it's too much for me.

But you are wrong @brads3, when you say that people move around. They do change professions, sometimes every month, but they generally don't move away from their initial home. Of cause adult children move out. A widow/widower may move to another single person. Sometimes, especially if you have more houses than families, couples may separate, but one part always stays in the old house and if you find the one who moved out, he/she will always move back, if you "fake demolish" his/ her house. If you know this it's always easier to keep track of people.

Abandoned

Chapter 7

I was correct, our builders were kept very busy the next few years.  We expected more and larger groups of nomads to come but we would be ready for them.  Yes, weary traveler, your group had 11, the one before had 13. The boarding house you are staying in was constructed in year 20.  Our son, Byrone the doctor, thought next to it would be a good spot for a hospital.  That small bridge was built across the creek behind it but no tunnel.  It was a long haul but the stone from the other side of the hill was retrieved.

The stone was needed for all the construction going on down south. A larger church and another school were built.  Hopefully our 43% education rate will continue to improve.  There was a lot of controversy over the distillery being built there by the church and school, especially after several fights broke out, so the stone wall was built.  A very nice one I must say.  Oh, can I offer you another mug of ale, no, how about a nice honey bun?  What was I saying?  Oh yes, well, those fights were just the beginning of our problems. 

Many were complaining that the south was using too many resources. Some of the new houses down there had root cellars, a new barn was built, and then the markets. The wagon vendor didn't want to move north, he had friends and family in the south.  Those in the north often found their supply sheds empty and they had farther and farther to go for needed items.  When the new blacksmith began making tools with the coal they were using for fuel more fights broke out.  It may have been different had they been given some of the new tools to use.  No decision had yet been made at the town meeting to build a small market up north where so few people lived, there were a lot of other jobs that needed doing.  And then, Ameron the wagon vendor, was found stabbed to death. Yes, murdered, let me tell you, we were in shock, we had no idea such a horrible thing could happen here.  No, we have no idea who did it. To make matters worse, our beloved son-in-law Ranco died in a cave-in at the mine.  Some say it was no accident. The clerics are now preaching some much needed hellfire and brimstone.  They got a book from one of the boatmen, it came from a monastery.  There's talk of building one but there is no room or resources for such a building here.  The young have big ideas, there is talk of missions and castles and railroad trains, so many wonderful new things to see and do and new places to go. 

So this winter at the start of year 25, Smallville is small no more. We have a population of 156, 90 adults, 26 students, and 40 children.  There is little room to build without endangering our woodlands.  We think it is time to send off an expedition. The town elders just haven't decided yet where it should go. 

Yes, it is getting late, weary traveler, go and rest and be weary no more.  Good night.

brads3

i am wondering if the tiny stone quarry would have helped your resource problem. u coula used it to dig stoner and gravel from the river or creeks.

Nilla

Detective needed, who killed the vendor?

Who benefited on his death? Was anything stolen?
Is there a new wagon vendor? How bad did he/she want the job?
What about his widow, die she take a new husband? How bad did they want to be together?
Or is there an insane serial killer on the lose in beautiful, peaceful Smallville?

Will we ever know the answers?

Abandoned

brads3,  I'm sure tiny quarry would have helped if I had enough workers, it was a long time before I could get more than one miner in the one stop all mining I was trying out. I used the tiny pieces in my last map and really liked them.  This map I tried the mini ones and did not have the tiny pieces enabled.  Part of problem was I was anxious to see and try building the stone walls and other buildings I have not used before. There was never enough workers, few laborers to collect resources, and lots of children to feed.  Wild fruit and nut trees for extra food, and seedling to trade for seeds and sheep responsible for success of this town.

Nilla,  Luke, the maker of Banished, responsible for wagon vendor's death. No new wagon vendor, distraught widow donates their wagon to the town for expedition.  Hope game maker not a serial killer because the main couple, Ramonty and Felecta's, oldest daughter has gone missing.  You do good detective work.  Good job solving mushroom and onion disappearance in the North. 
Did you claim your reward?  Looks like we all benefit, thank you.  Glad you liked my story. 

Abandoned

Story 2 Mountain Mission  Coming Soon to Village Blog