News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Newport - Story 12

Started by Abandoned, April 14, 2017, 04:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

wow that was scary. sorry for your losses but glad your town was spared.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Scary and epic indeed, I think I got very lucky.  Oh my gosh, just heard on the TV news of deadly floods and tornado in Texas USA  Deepest sympathy to all.   :'(

Abandoned

Note:  2 more mods has been added to this map and game in progress.  Discrepancy's Better Stockpile Storage, love this mod, thanks again @Discrepancy , and EBSunflower crop, a part of the Oil Press mod.  Thank you @embx61  love those sunflowers, hoping the seed merchant brings them soon.  :)

Chapter 15

Spring of Year 19 was like every spring before except this year everyone was a bit uneasy and jittery every time the wind picked up or dark rain clouds rolled our way.  Jeddy brought carrot seeds, they got planted a bit later than the brussels sprouts and other crops.  Building projects continued.  More folks wanted sturdier stone houses now, in light of the force of last years tornado, I don't think it would make much difference but they sure were nice looking houses.   A new hunting lodge and residence was built some distance north of the croplands, to the west a tiny mine was dug in the small mountain there.  We would begin mining iron since the remaining surface iron was quite far away now.  We had plenty of laborers who could gather what they could before the cold and snow arrived.

Nico, my son-in-law, set up a workplace anvil next to the house of the mine overseer.  The miners were now producing coal and everyone in town was really impressed with how neatly Nico keep the coal stacked in crates.  His iron and log piles were also outstanding.  A covering storage shed was built for finished tools and extra blacksmithing supplies.  Nico at first said he didn't need a covering over his workplace but he changed his mind after the first cold autumn rain. He was glad to go home to a hot meal and warm fire.  He and Lotte were still living in another abode.  Gertrand was more impressed with our first granddaughter, Ammi, than he was with the stockpiles.

We had plenty of firewood that winter.  I heard those sturdy stone houses were nice and warm and used less firewood than the wood houses.

Abandoned

Chapter 16 

In spring of year 20, our 2nd tiny mine was completed.  We now had 6 miners bringing up iron and coal.  Nico would have to add more crates and storage piles soon.  The storage shed was also near capacity.  More wells were constructed around town and 2 new crop fields were cleared.  The larger one would be planted with more mixed vegetable; our home grower said she could easily sort more than she was doing now.

In late spring, 21 nomads passed through on their way north. They too had horror stories to tell of floods, tornadoes, and tragic losses.  We had been extremely lucky indeed.  We gave them as much food and supplies as they could carry before they went on their way.

In early autumn, Lonza the general goods merchant arrived at the north port with wool and leather.  We had sufficient leather but Frien, the new tailor, often had to wait for sheep sheering to be done before making warm coats.  We traded for 100 bails of wool and it was a good thing we did.  In winter our main sheep pasture developed an infestation.  We had no idea what to do but when the sheep began dying we knew we had to do something.  It was late winter before we had a new field cleared.  By then we lost half our flock of sheep from the infested pasture.  We didn't take the time to build a fence so we hoped none of the remaining 5 would go astray.

Our new memorial chapel was completed in time to commemorate the 2 year anniversary of the tornado touchdown.  The chapel was constructed near the fishing pier in the forest where we lost our fisherman, forester, gatherer, and herbalist. Everyone in town agreed on the location, all the mothers in town agreed the chapel should have a cross, with all the troubles in the world today we needed more reminders of good versus evil.  We've all heard tales of thieving pirates, brutal stabbings, and poison mushroom soup.  Dear Lord, protect us all from such evils.

Abandoned

Chapter 17

In spring of year 21, another large group of displaced victims passed through.  We were a bit relieved they did not want to stay.  Newport already had a population of 196, 105 adults, 38 students, and 53 young children.  Our education rate was up to 29%, we would hate to see that go down. While checking statistics at the town hall, we took time to reassigned some of our laborers to other jobs.

The crops did extremely well that year, especially the brussels sprouts.  The carrots seemed to disappear as soon as they were harvested, a good thing since our storage units were filled to capacity.  We were all thrilled when the livestock merchant brought hogs and dairy cattle.  We were now forced to decide what to do about the infested sheep pasture that was still empty.  We took the chance and moved the sheep back hoping they would not be re-infested.  The 3 little pigs would be fenced in the vacated field where the sheep had been.  The 3 dairy cattle would have a large pasture across the river.  Most of the laborers were busy clearing the area when the call rang out ... FIRE

Oh no, a gatherers hut had caught fire.  I never saw the townspeople move so fast.  The nearest well was by the school so most of them headed for the river, the new snowfall not slowing them down.  Again our town was covered by a dark cloud.  When Reddy arrived with our sunflower seeds, he said he could see the billowing smoke from way upriver.  When the snow began to fall again we hoped it would help douse the flames but we could see the building was a total loss.  Unlike lightning, disaster does strike twice in the same place.  At least we lost no one to the flames.

Abandoned

Chapter 18

In year 22, we had the most beautiful field of sunny sunflowers. Folks walked all the way over from town just to look at them.  Another pretty site was the new farmstead on the other side of the river, 2 country farm houses, a large red barn, and plenty of room for the black and white cows to graze.  The workplace dairy was protected by a sturdy covering and a sorting stand and shed were ready for the new crop of vegetables to grow.  Earlier in the year, Reddy brought corn, beans, potatoes, and oat seed and we had enough seedling from our greenhouses to trade for them.  Thanks to our favorite seed merchant, after 22 years we did indeed have a lot of seeds.

So, weary traveler, our expedition accomplished what it set out from Smallville to do.  We found a new waterway and established our town of Newport and we survived 3 disasters while doing it. It's time to move on to greener pastures.

The End.