News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Riverview Resort - Story 17

Started by Abandoned, July 30, 2017, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

I made some signs just for emergencies. 100 - 50 - 20 - 10 - 5 -2% nomads every year.
No cost, ghosted.
100% is good for Adam & Eve. (or Glen and Livi)  :)

edit - Vanilla toolbar under services

Abandoned

Thank You again @kid1293 for the sign and for posting it here.   :) I thought I picked a couple of good songs for this chapter if I do say so myself.

Be careful with that sign @brads3 you could double your population. :)

brads3

Abandoned

Mood Music: "Weave Me The Sunshine" by Peter, Paul, & Mary.

Chapter 6

In spring of year 13 we were overjoyed and a bit overwhelmed.  I was gathering herbs across the stream when 2 families of 4 stop at the new sign by the bridge.  They came from the south and were on their way to Smallville. I explained about the housing and food shortages in Smallville and told them we would be happy to have them make their home with us.  They were happy to agree.  The 4 children were ages 10, 8, 7, and 6, closer in age to our 2 but they would not be attending school.

Waiting on the other side of the bridge by the lamp post was a young couple also from the south and a second couple waited at the well. Even more surprising was the woman and her 16 year old son who arrived by houseboat. They came down from the North past Lakeland and Newport, her husband was a river boatman who they were trying to locate but the rivers have changed course so they planned to go to Riverboat Junction.  When she heard our plans for a Riverview resort she and her son decided to stay with us.  Sooner or later her husband would find them and she wanted to get off that boat.  One of the families of 4 said they would move into it, it was a very nice houseboat.

We began assigning jobs and building houses, we now had 2 builders, a trader, tailor, a woodcutter, and a new teacher.  Ashelva was now our beekeeper.  The laborers gathered wild foods and building materials.  By late summer everyone had a home and Riverview was beginning to look like a real town.   We had a population of 22, 18 adults, 2 students, and 2 young children.

In early autumn, Shaun the general goods merchant arrived.  He had a couple of food items we didn't need but we did now have some trade goods in stock.  He said other boatmen would be stopping by, word was already spreading that we were here, and he would leave word at Riverboat Junction that Machel and her son Dayle were here.  He left us with "the hope of a new tomorrow".

kid1293

The story goes smooth now. Maybe it's the hope of a new tomorrow.

Fill my cup again.

Abandoned

Sing it with me now  :) good song.  Yes, thank you, things are looking up for Riverview now.

embx61

:)

I shall add the name Riverview on one of the town signs in the next version :)
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Abandoned

Thanks @embx61 that would be nice.  Those signs look good  :)  Perhaps a Riverboat Junction one, that is where all the boats are coming from.  Thoughts for that town are already forming but no notes on paper yet so it will be awhile. Or how about Big Red's Canal Co. or something like that.  :)

Abandoned

Mood Music: "Wonderful World" by Elvis (not to be confused with "It's a Wonderful World" also by Elvis), "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tommy James & The Shondells,  and "Love The World Away" by Kenny Rogers.

Chapter 7

That autumn of year 13 we had a visit from a small group of travelers on their way to Riverboat Junction. They came by a very roundabout way from Blomington where Mr. @RedKetchup had been inspecting the recently completed canal.  He'd heard about our plans for a resort for river boatmen and their families and wanted to see for himself if it were true.  Riverboat Junction was a very old settlement made up mostly of river boatmen and their families.  The Junction was very overcrowded and was due for a complete makeover.  He was sure many families would jump at the chance to relocate to Riverview.  That was very good news and promised a bright future for our town.

There was just one little dark cloud hanging over us, Glen and I were finding it very difficult to be alone. There was always someone there.  Where ever we went, whatever we did, there was always someone there.  If we tried to sit outside in the evening someone always came to join us.  The shed was a busy place.  Inellar and Osbornell were still at home although Inellar would be finished with her schooling come winter.  That winter we did finally get some alone time fishing at the small pond  together.  We didn't talk much but every time someone came to pick up the fish or collect wood or stone nearby, we knew what the other was thinking.

And then one bright sunny winter's day Glen surprised me by asking if there was room enough for two up on the hill.  I smiled and he smiled and he said darling, "take my hand".  We dropped our fishing poles and took off running through the snow.  We slipped and fell and helped each other up and laughted and played as we did in the old days.  It was a wonderful day it was "as bright as a day's ever been".  When we reached the top we looked out over our town and the new construction going on, he smiled and said "I think we're alone now", and then we forgot about everything else but the two of us. Up on that hill, all the magic was waiting there and we loved the world away. 

Abandoned

Mood Music:  "Baby, Come To Me" by James Ingram, and "Shameless" by Garth Brooks

Chapter 8

Riverview was a busy place all of year 14.  We escaped as often as we could, it didn't take much effort to convince Glen to follow me up the hill.  In late spring, 23 immigrants arrived from Riverboat Junctions followed by Mehalie, the livestock merchant, who was overjoyed to find his family among the new arrivals.  We traded venison, herbs, linen clothes, and a few iron tools for 3 of the sheep he had.  We would need a pasture but we also needed to build a lot of houses.  We now had 4 builders and a lot of laborers.  Across the stream we had 2 hunters and 2 foresters and 2 houses built for them.  Land was cleared for a gatherer and another house.  A very nice stone house was constructed closer to the stream and we were surprised when our Osbornell, who was still a student, moved into it with Baylene, one of the new arrivals.  Who were we to argue against love at first sight?  Inellar who finished school last winter was still at home.  The town still needed more houses.

By winter the pasture and many other buildings were still not completed.  Although we had plenty of laborers, the stone and iron were some distance away.  With snow and no outlying roads, the going was slow.  By the end of year 14 we had shortages of stone, logs, and firewood.  Our supply of food, tools, and clothes was very good and we had a population of 48, 41 adults, 1 student, and 6 young children.

Year 15 promised to be just as busy.

Abandoned

Mood Music:  "Feels So Right" by Alabama and "Lullaby" by Dan Seals

Chapter 9

A lot of time was spent the winter of year 14 and early spring of year 15 cutting trees and collecting resources in the woods, we barely managed to keep supply ahead of demand.  Glen and I escaped up the hill as often as we could.  In spring the town became more crowded when 7 nomads arrived from Riverboat Junction and 6 more came by houseboat.  We added 2 woodcutters and foresters as well as fishermen and hunters to our workforce.  A small smoking shed was build by the main fishing pier.  One of the newly arrived nomads said if a guy named @brads3 showed up in town he should not be allowed in the shed because smoking was bad for his health.  He may show up with a very large group of nomads, we have been warned.

Brads3 did not show up but Mehalie, the livestock merchant, did with spring chickens.  We traded mead, venison, herbs, and mushrooms for 4 chickens.  We were hoping a seed merchant would come by soon so we did not want to deplete our stock of trade goods.  Glen was now a builder, quite a bit of construction was taking place on the other side of the stream where Osbornell and Baylene still lived.  I took over tending the chickens in the field behind our house that Glen and I finally had to ourselves.   Inellar married and was now living with Lamarcus, and they took over fishing at the pond.  He was one of the recent arrivals and probably the reason she became the first one to come down with the mumps.  A small sauna was quickly built and all 3 patients survived.  We did not have the house to ourselves for long, our son, Sedricky was born in late summer.

In early winter, Hassandyn, the resource merchant, came by with firewood. We traded for all 125 units that he had.  Everyone would be snug and warm those long winter nights.  They were early nights for us with a newborn in the house once again.

brads3

what is bad for health is life. everyone dies from that!

Abandoned

:) You got that right @brads3 and hopefully we won't all be toast here in US.

Abandoned

Mod Note:  A sneak peak of a new mod by @kid1293 has been added.

Mood Music:  "Welcome To My Morning" by John Denver and "Coldwater Morning" by Neil Diamond

Chapter 10

All too soon it was back to reality.  In early spring of year 16 there was a snowstorm of heavy wet snow that actually brought down a tree and made it very difficult for Glulia and other foresters to do their work.  Laborers were again sent out to help gather logs and stone.  Building was slow going.  After the mumps outbreak folks wanted a chapel and since a total of 16 immigrants arrived in late spring, we again needed more housing.  Two spacious houses were built, they were big enough for families of 7, the two-room snug houses were much cozier.  One family preferred to stay on the houseboat they arrived in from the north.  By year's end everyone was settled into their new homes although there were many young people still living at home that wanted a place of their own.  A forester's garden shed was built a short distance from our house but we figured we would be lucky just to have enough logs for the coming winter's firewood supply.

We were a bit discouraged.  We were impatient.  We wanted to begin building our dream.

Abandoned

Mood Music:  "A Place In The Sun" by Stevie Wonder

Chapter 11

By early spring of year 17 we were one step closer to realizing our dream.  The last immigrants were homeless for a long time before we were able to build enough houses for them.  We thought a small hostel would provide temporary shelter but soon realized it was not nearly big enough for the many immigrants that kept arriving.  Of the 3 groups that arrived only 1 group decided to stay, the other 2 groups from the south wanted to go further north.  The 17 from Riverboat Junction decided among themselves who would stay in the hostel and who would wait for other housing.  We now had a population of 113, 80 adults, 4 students, and 29 young children.

We added a couple of hunters and a new gatherer to our workforce.  Another brewery was set up to make mead from the wild honey the gatherers were collecting, we needed more trade goods.  We needed a new school, many of the young children would be reaching school age soon. The school took priority over the quarry and another trading post.  We did not have enough trade goods in inventory when the seed merchant arrived but we wanted those potato seeds he had and hoped he would wait.  He waited as long as he could but not long enough.  He assured us he would be back soon and would have a lot of seeds. 

By the end of the year everyone had homes but all our stockpiles were nearly empty, our log, stone, iron, and firewood supplies were extremely low but all in all, it had been a good year.