News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Feorland - The North

Started by NK, July 20, 2019, 12:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NK

This'll be my first time posting about one of my settlements. I've been wanting to wait until the next update of the North to dedicate long-term commitment to a particular build, but I got tired of waiting, and there's a good deal of great assets that are in the current build of the North as well as from other creators that fit the general theme I'm going for.

I'm not sure if this will evolve into a fully-fledged village blog, but I'd definitely like to make one once the next update comes around. I'm just doing this as an experimental showcase that I thought people might like to see. I haven't given much thought to a backstory or any lore yet, just more on achieving aesthetic realism and a simulation of organic urban growth.

The theme is early or pre-medieval, leaning towards a semi-fictional hybrid culture of Nordic, Anglo-Saxon, and Britonnic. The entire region is called Feorland, in which there is only one settlement so far. The general design was largely inspired from the classic "high-street village", where there is only one primary road with each house having a long and narrow back garden, with a peripheral boundary of larger fields, pastures, and woodland. I thought this would also be conducive to future growth as several houses could be placed on a single lot. It's still quite small -- I want to have at least as many structures on the left side of the chapel as the right side -- but I haven't had to rely on nomads for extra population yet. As an aside, one of my greatest wishes is to be able to change namelogs for citizens, though I think I've read somewhere that the code doesn't allow for it. Also, sorry for the production building markers, I forgot that those still appear in No UI screenshots. Anyways, enough words.   

Shoutout to @embx61  for the amazing flora props, it makes a massive difference

I like to think of that hill on the upper right as a barrow.

Artfactial

Love it.:)
You pulled the strip-building high-street off very well, it looks functional and realistic.:)
I'd think a town this close to a broad river would be more reliant on trade and fishing, but it looks perfectly self-sustained like this.

I like the idea of mimicking (pre)medieval town layouts, going to have to play around with at as well.^^

Looking forward to your blog!

brads3

Tom Sawyer

Oh, that's a nice one. I've rarely seen such a pretty use of the mod and interesting with some historical background in mind. I especially like the village green with typical oak next to the chapel. Not easy to make in the grid and where the heck does the oak tree comes from?^^ And from what EB mod did you take those deco plants? They really match well and maybe to recommend it in my compatibility list.

I guess my job here is to deliver more assets soon. I know you asked for the frame houses and they would indeed support your idea quite well. Sorry for the long wait.

NK

@Tom Sawyer The grass/flower props are from EB's irrigation deco set http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=318.

I knew that if someone would pick up on the significance of the oak, it'd be you ;D. I got it from this vanilla flora pack http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=563, if that's what you meant. In terms of lore, I'm envisioning Feorland as a place that was settled prior some centuries earlier (maybe on the North American continent?), then abandoned or semi-abandoned, and then eventually resettled by their uprooted descendents, though this time Christianized. That would explain the ancient oak (brought as a unusually resilient seedling from further south by the original folk) and the few barrow-hills nearby. I'm very much looking forward to the pagan update though, maybe in a later iteration I can further evolve the theme to be in an alternate timeline when Christianity remained insignificant past the 4th century.

Also, I would encourage you add this animated torch set http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=191 to your compatible mods list.

Tom Sawyer

Yes, I meant from which mod. For the story, so much workaround would not be necessary I think. The Norseman used mainly oak for building and with simple pinewood they probably could not even make their cool ships to visit the Anglos and Saxons.^^ For timber-framing it's actually also needed and I thought about bringing the oaks back with the Viking update and to let them drop "oak logs" for frame houses and other buildings. But not sure yet, it makes many problems with different types of wood.

Thank you for the links. Will take a look. The torches I remember from Reds fire mod. I used them just as you in front of houses in my own kind of blog long ago.

banner38

Interesting, I've never built this way  :)

Quickbeam

This is lovely! It never occurred to me to make individual yards like that. The green roofs are really neat...I'm going to look for those. It seems really efficient as well.

raichu1101

Jewelz

I love the look of the wide main street. How many across it that? 2 or 3?

brads3

with the wells? looks like 5

Artfactial

Here's hoping @NK will start a blog some time.:)

Laundry

I also started a new map with the recently updated The North, your town looks amazing!