News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mark -vs- DS Industry Mining Beta.05 - Round 4!

Started by MarkAnthony, September 06, 2019, 03:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

For the orchards, it´s not seasonal at all until the trees give fruit something like 3 years after planting. Just look when the last tree is planted, take the farmer away. 3 years later you see in spring that the orchard starts to give fruit. I would put the farmer back in late summer. The harvest of an orchard will not start until autumn unless it´s 100% developed earlier. If you´re short on workers you can take him away as soon as the last tree is harvested. It may still show that some fruit is left but it will not be harvested anyway. If you don´t take the orchard farmer away he will stay in his orchard hacking on the ground until early winter when he does labourer´s work.

In the same way, you can take the farmer away when the last tile is planted. You can also see that the field is fully planted when the harvest sign on the menu is on. Harvest of fields starts in early autumn or earlier if it´s 100% grown, so depending on the crop, I would send the farmer back in summer-late summer. But it´s easy to forget so I wouldn´t bother with the field farmers unless I was very much in "stress". Opposit to orchard farmers they also do labourer´s work as soon as the field is harvested.

MarkAnthony

Thank you very much for the explanation. I heard you and others say before, "oh, when it's done planting" and I'm like, "How do I know when they're done?"   :-\ lol. 

Seeing them on the field could very well just be eye-candy for us to watch and the game goes on, seeing them in the fields didn't necessarily have to mean anything. I mean they go about raking the fields long after they were planted so to me that meant either it's just eye-candy for us to watch or maybe they are actually doing something like pulling weeds and fertilizing it to give a better yield - so I was never sure as to what time precisely to remove them. So I never did.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

brads3

2: not me that is a NILLA trick. it can be handy when low on workers. i do use the farmers in winter to gather food and help laborers thou. that is a different trick.her way you have to manually send the worker away from orchards so they become laborers. i would forget to turn the orchard back on and re assign the farmer.

this is a give and take deal too. her way she has to cut orchards every so often or the production drops off. with my mods the worker does that all by hismelf. plus on some orchards i can get some fruit the 1st year.

Nilla

This has nothing to do with cutting the orchards. That´s one of the "tricks" I´m using when I´m short on logs. Cutting orchards or not is also something you need to deal with if you don´t use some mod that makes the trees immortal. I seldom use such mods but can understand those who do, it´s convenient. You don´t need to decide as soon as the trees start to die of "old age" if you should cut the whole orchard manually, replant it, take the farmer away for some years to do something else or leave the farmer in his orchard, take the lower yield for some years and don´t bother.

irrelevant

I rarely use orchards, they seem too little return for the investment of time, labor, and space. For some reason I just can't approach them with the patience I seem to have for the rest of the fussing around I get sucked into sometimes! ;D

brads3

yes and no. if you mean that part of the year a crop forester will help as a laborer,you do lose some time from the orchard farmers. i usually set the orchard to 12x12.since it keeps the worker busy all year,this gives more food than a 10x10 crop.  depending on the mods,the pruning of the orchards has been modded out. even RED's orchards don't seem to need that cutting step.

you do have orchard forest options now. they will require at least 2 workers but give more variety to the outputs.

Nilla

I like orchards as an extra reserve for logs not primary as food producers.

irrelevant

I know this about you ;) I know you would not do this if it didn't pay off, maybe I should give it another try.

MarkAnthony

Electrical storms really do irk me sometimes! I lost my internet last night for 14 hours after talking to Irrelevant.  >:( :'(

YEAR TWO:

THIS YEAR'S GOAL:
I'm gonna work the butt off of that eldest student as soon as she graduates from school, right now I only have the one Laborer. That kid has no idea what's in store for her, her head's gonna spin!  :D I do want to try and get at least two more homes built this year, and one additional home fully supplied with materials for when the time comes. I'm hoping my population will grow by at least three at end of year.

I'm also going to start clearing out any Stone, ore and Clay from the right-half of the town's Divider Line in what will be the forest hub. I'm only going to ground-select a few patches at a time so as to not overwhelm them too much. I'd like to try and get enough ore to make two medium sized 65 Bloomery Smelters (Iron and Copper); I already have 61 and 110 respectively but I am already thinking about the next round after. The Copper I will keep for future building; the Iron will be used for tools of course, but when they are topped off I will put the rest towards some Iron-required buildings.

I also want to get a lot more Logs, I have 127 at this point. I'll need some for building, some for Firewood of course, and for my slow-but-steady Timber production from the Worker's Construction Yard. I'd also like to get my hands on an additional 315 Logs (go big or go home!) for a batch of Charcoal. I currently have 98 Charcoal remaining so I won't be upset if I don't get enough Logs for this by end of year; the 98 Charcoal I already have should hopefully hold me over for a bit as I only need 26 Charcoal each for the two 65 Bloomery Smelters.

YEAR 2 - FIRST SIX MONTHS:

• March: Getting another crop field cleared for future use. Unpaused 2nd Log House and Sand Quarry, materials delivered to both. I don't need the Sand Quarry anytime soon but it was located right next to the Smith's Hearth and only needed 3 Logs to build so I decided to just get it done while they were there working. One new Student. Unpaused Smith's Hearth.

• April:

• May: Crop field cleared, sits unused.

• June: Another new Student. 2nd Log House built; a family of 5 moved in: 2 parents, 1 Student, 2 young children. The 1st Log House has 2 parents, 1 Adult child, 1 Student, and one young child.

• July: I have now set a 4"x6" inch area (on the monitor) in the forest hub for clearing of any Stone, ore and Clay. Sand Quarry built.

• August: Smith's Hearth built. Down to my last Iron Tool and Iron Tool* so I am setting the Blacksmith to making Copper Tool using Copper Ore and Charcoal. I'll stop the Blacksmith when he gets 15 tools made. Placed down a 77+11 Bronze Bloomery Smelter and also a 75 Iron Bloomery Smelter too for their near-future needs and to help free up space in the Stock Piles. Two of the crop fields have started harvesting.
YEAR 2 - LAST SIX MONTHS:

• September: All crop fields and orchards are being harvested now. Another Student. I just had my first Illness/Disease for the game, Atrophy, it got one of my Farmers.

• October: 1st Pumpkin field net me 868 vs 784 the year prior, the Pepper field net me 867 vs 849 the year prior.

• November: Atrophy gone. 2 New Students. 2nd Pumpkin field net me 785 for it's first year. Both Apple Orchards net me 520 vs 342/354 the year prior. I set priority to both Bloomery Smelters to get them supplied.

• December:

• January: New Student. Two small storage sheds unpaused in the forest hub area along with the Log House there too for the Gatherer and Forester to share when their time comes.

• February: New Laborer. Log House in the forest hub has all of it's materials delivered, assigning the new Laborer as it's Builder.
END OF YEAR SUMMARY: Things seemed to go kind of slow for some reason but I did get some extra food yield this year so I am thankful for that. I went backwards in tools from my starting Iron Tool to Copper Tool because I am still waiting for the Bronze Bloomery Smelter to get stocked with materials. It was taking so long to stock it that the Blacksmith took some of that Copper Ore to make Copper Tool so now I am a bit short on Copper Ore for the bloomery. Not thrilled with this year's progress.

END OF YEAR COUNTS:

• Homeless: 11
  • Homes: 2
  • Families: 7

• Laborers: 1
  • Builders: 1

• Logs: 100
  • Stone: 22
  • Iron: 13
  • Firewood: 52
  • Ore: 102
  • Tools: 6
  • Food: 2,948
  • Clothes: 9

• Clothed: 100%
  • Educated: 92%
  • Health: 0 Hearts
  • Happiness: 3 Stars

MarkAnthony

YEAR THREE:

THIS YEAR'S GOAL:
Hoping to get those Bloomery Smelters fired up and worked; the forest hub completed (Gatherer's hut, Forester Lodge, 2 Log Houses, 2 storage sheds); and to try and get the rest of the forest hub cleared of all Stone, ore, and Clay.

YEAR 3 - FIRST SIX MONTHS:

• March: Both storage sheds have their materials delivered and are waiting for the Log House to get finished.

• April:

• May: Took the Blacksmith off tool making and sent him back to the making Firewood. The forest hub's Log House #3 was built, a family of 5 moved in: 2 parents, 3 Students.

• June:

• July: Both storage sheds in forester hub built. Builder is now beginning to build the Iron Bloomery Smelter.

• August:
YEAR 3 - LAST SIX MONTHS:

• September: Low on tools again, nothing I can do about it until those smelters are built and running. Added Laborer as 2nd Builder on Iron Bloomery Smelter currently at 40%; I will have a tool crisis again. New Laborer but unfortunately he cannot help with the iron bloomery. Pepper field gave full harvest 868. Tool crisis beginning. Another new Laborer.

• October: Another new Laborer. New Student, no more young children - all adults and Students now. Two Pumpkin fields net me 764 + 868.

• November: Both Apple Orchards netted me a loss, 432+312 vs 520 each the year prior. Set the last crop field for clearing because I need some Logs and I may as well take them from there.

• December: Sent the Woodcutter back to making tools again, scraped up some Copper Ore from the ground, 6 people need tools. Iron Bloomery Smelter finally built, assigned another Blacksmith to it. Bronze Bloomery Smelter finally has all it's materials, the two Builders from the other smelter are here now to set it up.

• January: 10 out of 15 people need tools now, still waiting.

• February: New Laborer, assigned him to the 4th crop field which is the 2nd Pepper field; just in time for Early Spring's planting.
END OF YEAR SUMMARY: Again I asked too much of the 1 Laborer and 1 Builder that I had, things went slower than I had hoped. I really wanted those smelters up and running and completed before year's end but that didn't happen. I knew those tool crisis' were inevitable.

END OF YEAR COUNTS:

• Homeless: 6
  • Homes: 3
  • Families: 11

• Laborers: 2
  • Builders: 2

• Logs: 152
  • Stone: 22
  • Iron: 25
  • Firewood: 76
  • Ore: 172
  • Tools: 2
  • Food: 3,738
  • Clothes: 9

• Clothed: 100%
  • Educated: 94%
  • Health: 0 Hearts
  • Happiness: 3 Stars

Nilla

You´re not doing badly. Slow is the key. And forget what I said about the orchards. You seem to use some super-better-orchards mod. Otherwise, no orchard gives fruit in the first years. You will probably also not have to bother about replanting any tress, I guess they will be immortal.

But that´s not what I really wanted to say. I might have a theory for your failure in the last town, given by things going around in my town at the moment. I will play another year or two and say more later but please answer one question; did you have a herbalist in these games?

MarkAnthony

Quote from: Nilla on September 08, 2019, 11:12:06 AM... please answer one question; did you have a herbalist in these games?
I have one placed down from my pre-planning stage in this game but I haven't set it for building yet. I did have an herbalist in one of my previous DSIM Beta v.05 games but I saw at best a 1/2 Heart gain I think it was.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: Nilla on September 08, 2019, 11:12:06 AM
And forget what I said about the orchards. You seem to use some super-better-orchards mod. Otherwise, no orchard gives fruit in the first years. You will probably also not have to bother about replanting any tress, I guess they will be immortal.
Yeah Nilla  ;D After I failed miserably from starvation in those first three DSIM Beta v.05 games that was when I installed the ForgetAboutOrchards and HotCrops mods along with the food preservation mods. I never did get any use from the food preservation mods but I'm gladly accepting the help of the two crop-tweaks.

BUT - Last night after I lost internet and could no longer keep in touch here at the forums, I decided to start a another side-game for myself, DSIM Beta v.05 again but this time I removed all tweak mods completely and also removed other DS mods!!!  I think this is about as "pure" as I will go.  :P

I had already gotten to year 3 I think and yeah, I feel the difference with the orchards for sure. I really do like that ForgetAboutOrchards mod, it's truly hassle free!

Nilla

Maybe your Bannish should have done what those from @Artfactial did; burned that witch/sorcerer on a public place for causing famine and starvation.

Look what just happened in my town: I am very careful by using any herbalists. I only make some experiment when I have a good supply on all food categories that are (as I think) good distributed to all corners of the settlement. I thought it was the case at the moment. I wanted to cure my vendors and traders, sick from fast-food-on-the-way. And I also thought it worked quite well. Health rose to 4½ hearts.

The first sign of weird things; the store of flax rose and flax was shown on my "top 10" list from the overseer's list. It shouldn't be, so I looked at the weaver and saw that it produced really bad, this year much less than the already low production from last year. When I looked at what the workers were doing, I discovered them all over the place; "visiting the herbalist". Not only the closest also those very far away. I don´t know, maybe he had a better reputation for wonder healing.

I looked a little further and saw that the tailor produced even worse. It uses to produce 100+ of warm coats. This year it was 16! I also found the 0 heart tailor on the other side of the river visiting the "town herbalist" in his fancy house rather than the closest. I looked into all the Bryggen houses and it looks like they think they are fancy city folks and refuse to walk the few yards through the forest to the wagon vendor I put there to serve them, as well as the workers of the close forest node. They prefer to grab mutton from the closest barn and when they aren´t feeling well walk all around the map instead of producing. >:( ::)

Maybe your Bannis did something similar @MarkAnthony.

MarkAnthony

That's great that you got 4.5 Hearts in Health, heck... I'd be tickled just to see mine at 1 Heart again. I don't know how long it took you to get your Health up or how but grats!

At least your Banies are dying of old age! haha...  mine didn't get the opportunity to live such a full life in my previous three games.