News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Quatre Bras: incorporating mods

Started by irrelevant, October 14, 2014, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapster

If you think fishers are OP you should play with gatherers. They'd prevent you from turning the entire map into a grid though. I actually wonder how farms compare to them.

snapster

Quote from: irrelevant on October 28, 2014, 08:55:42 PM
Well, thanks; I think I detected at least two compliments in there. ;) I truly believe I do have farming figured out.

I really enjoy playing this game; I put a lot into it, and I get a lot out of it.

Would you mind posting a guide to how you play?

irrelevant

Well, really, that's what these blogs are. I've documented 4 towns from start to finish, in considerable detail.

Feel free to ask questions; you may have noticed, I tend to respond.

Gnaw Bone is probably the best of my blogs.

irrelevant

Year 37

Added a second creamery, plus some farms, in the north. Using 20x6s up here, to see if the dimensions give any advantage.

The food graph has turned down, cause I just sucked 30k into warehouses.

Southern farms. You can see the food I have socked away. Some is in TPs, but most is in warehouses.

Foresters; this area is an experiment. I put two foresters far out into virgin land, four foresters each set to cut and plant. They are gathering up all the surface stone and iron while they are cutting and planting. I'll document this in a couple of years.

irrelevant

Smiths and tailors are insane when you put a smithy market/textile market across the street.

Mahnogard

Yes, I just started using Slink's markets and noticed that right away when I put a smith market across from my second smith. When the level drops below the limit, that smith gets it filled before my other smith can even make anything. (I have the first smith making iron tools for trade, and the second making steel to use.)

irrelevant

In most of my towns I have at some point switched one or more smiths to producing steel tools, and I always switch them back to iron before too long. It's good to build up a stock of 250-400, but then the fragility of the 3-input supply chain starts to piss me off  ;) This smithy market might possibly take care of that though; I haven't tried that yet here.

irrelevant

So here's something I've never tried before. I built a forester (well two of them actually, but I've documented only one) pretty far out in the sticks, far enough out that I knew I would not be wanting to develop the area for some time.

Within the circle is a goodly scattering of surface stone and iron. I assume that like me you would at some point send out an army of laborers to harvest this stuff. But I have noticed that cut-and-plant foresters also gather surface rocks. So I thought I'd see how long it would take the foresters just by themselves to take care of this. Here's the progression:

Year 33-37

edit: What was collected:

Year   Log   Stone   Iron
33     27     6     8
34   108   40   34
35   126   52   48
36   120   32   44
37   168  20    14

It's a pretty good way to use foresters, if you aren't in a hurry for the resources. As you can see, the circle has been picked pretty clean, and there are lots of young trees growing. I could either let this run for a couple more years and get the rest of the surface stuff, or I could turn off the cutting and in a year or two this would be extremely dense woods.

This is all vanilla, by the way; no mods would have affected this in my town.

Mahnogard

Interesting. Yeah, I always send in laborers within the first year or two, I've never waited to see how the Foresters would handle it. I knew they would get to it eventually, but seemed like it would take forever. Looks like yours prioritized the iron.

irrelevant

Check the numbers I posted in an edit.

I don't know what the heck they prioritized. ;)

It appears there was somewhat more stone than iron to begin with. I expect it was basically random.

Mahnogard

Ah yes, I see that now. Maybe I'm just trained to notice iron more because I really hate mining. :D I think from now on, I may just let the foresters deal with it. My first one always goes in the hunter / gatherer cluster so that one will get cleared manually anyway, but after that... why waste the labor if they're going to get to it anyway? :) Thanks for the experiment!

irrelevant

@Mahnogard You're welcome! I've been wondering about this for awhile. I just hate sending my guys out in the winter to cut stone and iron, I always lose half a heart, which I suspect make the guys die sooner.

snapster

irrelevant

Moving the forester stockpiles into town.

Used this warehouse to centralize it even further, then dumped it out.

The intermediate step was necessary, because that warehouse would never have sent vendors down to those forester stockpiles to collect this stuff.

irrelevant

Looks like 18x7 farms with two farmers get 896.