News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Where to start with Colonial Charter

Started by lilz, November 25, 2019, 10:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilz

Hi all, new here!

I keep hearing great things about Colonial Charter, but when i went to the workshop to have a look, there were so many mods that came up, that I just kinda backed out.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start? is there like a basic pack? I've also noticed that there are, for instance, 4 seemingly identical mods of CC Turbo, by 3 different posters. which is the correct one? are they all correct?

If this discussion has already been has, please would you kindly point me in the right direction?

thanks all!

moonbelf

As far as I know, the latest version of CC is Colonial Charter 1.76 Journey. It's the latest and complete version. You can download it from Steam  or from Black Liquid. See both links on the Black Liquid download page for CC
https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/Thread-Colonial-Charter-1-76-Journey

brads3

1st: how long have you played banished? did you make a list of what you think is missing from the game and what your ideas are that you would  like to see added to the vanilla game??  this list can help avoid the getting overwhelmed by soo any mods. what terrain do you want to see? animals,a bakery or creamery perhaps? what style or timeframe? we have all kinds of stuff that has been added from medievil to colonial to rustic cabins to vikings and pirates.   you should write this list down.

2nd: CC has many helpful mods,however when players say CC they usually mean the main Colonial Charter mod. this is the original idea that has developed or expanded over time. i have some of the older versionseven thou they are 1.06 versions and use the older flag limits. the CC mod is an early American based setting. has a frontier fort and builds to some colonial city styed housing.

there is good and bad to the CC mod. the production of food and goods is set to a trade base. as you process foods the trade value increases but the amount of total food can decrease.there are mutliple production chains.this gives a huge mixture of trade goods to make. furniture,pipes,etc. many of these are needed in different building projects. this can frustrate new pplayers. you set down a building only to realize to build it,you need several other  buildings to make the needed building materials.to build 1 building can involve 3-5 cahns of other buildings. say you need pipes,now you need a mine for ore,a smelter, then another building to make the pipes.add furniture,and now you need 2 different production chains. it can take a lot of time and planning. remember you still need to feed all those extra workers.

CC was the 1st main base mod. it brings many seeds,food processors and livestock. plus it gave us options for terrains and different starts.since then we have the RKEC, REDKETCHUP's medevil mod compiled with many of his mods over the years into 1 mod.TOM's NORTH mod,  a more northern climate to make the game more challenging with its own unique buidings. so you do have several options.

3: CC has many help mods. these can work to improve the CC but also will work without it.some are parts of the CC, such as the dock set, fort and indian addon mods.  others such as the pine or nat div were added by other modders to the Black Liquid site.

4: you have the Mega Mod,this is a huge mod. you do need some computer power to use this both in memory and graphics.this mod is i several parts that do need to be used together.   the MM took mods from may many modders and threw them together.this is over 100 mods in 1,maybe closer to 200+ by now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

much comes down to what you want to see added to the vanilla game. every player is different and we have different styles and ideas. the GREAT modders have made soo many different styled sets over the years. each year the game changes and new ideas or concepts are added. you can literally build your own game the way you like. you can also make every game different from the 1 before.

lilz

thank you Moonbelf, i'll check out the download link!

Brads3, thank you as well for your very in-depth reply.

i've been playing for around 6 months, i suspect. i've slowly been adding mods when i've decided i'm lacking something (better forests, better resourcing, the Medieval pack (which is cool), etc), but despite being selective i'm reaching the stage where some mods i want would clash if i installed them. for instance, i want to install a mod to let me make lumber, but all the ones i've found clash with 3 i already hae installed - one of those 3 is the mod i need the lumber for! (NMT Rowhouses. i want the retirement homes ;) )

CC does seem very extensive, and thank you for highlighting the cons.

I've seen MM, but not looked much into it. the options on the workshop left me confused (i.e. V8 is only available in German, the English version appears to be v0.06? weird), so i decided not to bother. heh, given your comment, i'd also probably not be able to use my laptop (which i'm currently using!)

brads3

what do you mean by the mods clash? do you mean they show red which is normal but doesn't mean they won''t work? or do you mean the mods don't work or the lumber is tagged so it doesn't work between them? i did a thread on mod orders under the hep and tips pages.when you say medievil are you meanig the old NMT,which is a 1.06 mod?

since you are a new player,,,,make sure you have the latest update to banished. the build # has to be 170910. the main difference is the building requireents has been expanded.some houses can not be built without the newest version. for now,try using just 1.07 mods. an older mod that produces lumber fags it different than the 1.07.

I prefer usig many smaler mods than the MM. i think it gives us players more control over them.

galensgranny

@lilz, instead of trying to get Colonial Charter and Mega Mod from the Steam workshop, go directly to the makers of it at blackliquidsoftware.com.  What is on Steam is confusing, and also, sometimes random people upload a mod that is already there.  Megamod is available in English.  Just go to Black Liquid.

When you download a mod from this World of Banished site, or any other site that is not Steam, it will go in your computer's downloads folder.  You then need to unzip it, or sometimes not, and then put the file in your Banished Windata folder. 

If you think the mods are clashing due to being red in the mod list, that is not an actual conflict.  They get red if certain resources are shared.

Goblin Girl

Things I like about CC:

• the crops
  • the more compact orchard layout
  • the additional kinds of coats you can make
  • the dock set
  • the various starting options.  My favorite map type is Appalachian Forest, and I think it lends itself very nicely to a Lake Waters map.
Things I dislike about CC:

• Lumber is too expensive
  • Charcoal is so cheap as to be a cheat
  • processing food gives you less food
  • the whole building supply mess.  You can make building supplies out of about a dozen different combinations of products. Some will loose value, and some will gain it.  Seriously you need a chart (and there is one!) to figure it out.  So I no longer bother, I just import building supplies and homewares and if I get that far, fancy homewares.
However, I typically play with Megamod plus a bunch of mods from here.  I'd like to direct your attention to RK Editor's choice, which I think you should *not* attempt to play with CC, but consider an either/or.  They both overhaul the game, but in ways that aren't always compatible.  RK's is better balanced.  Also, take a look at Kid's myriad options.  Many of them are re-skinning of, say, houses, blacksmiths, etc.  So a new player will already understand how they work, but they give the look of your city some variety.

theonlywanderer

@lilz

https://www.silisoftware.com/tools/banished-colonial-charter/
Figure on starting your own spreadsheet to keep track of your village!!

CC is huge, but don't see it as a problem, embrace it.   You'll need to spend some time learning all the new game pieces and that's part of the fun.   You have to learn what resources you need to build things because it gets deep.   You need certain resources for a particular building, but to get those resources you need to build another profession to produce that resource, but that building also requires resources that you'll have to build another profession first to supply that particular resource.   I like to work my way up to building Bronze tools.   You need a forge or foundry to produce bronze and bronze tools which in turn needs furnace fuel, tin ore and copper ore.  So you also need a tin mine and copper mine and fuel refinery.  The fuel refinery needs something to convert...  charcoal, coal, coke, firebundles, firewood.   Each of these buildings requires different materials to build.   I prefer charcoal so a stacks burner needs stone, lumber, and clay.  You'll need a shore house or hut for clay.   You'll eventually need a second foundry to produce the bronze tools unless you want to continue switching the first one back and forth.   Eventually you'll need candles and lamp oil professions to keep the mines going.

I usually build a sawmill soon as possible because it provides both lumber and firewood.   You need lumber to build quite a few things so you can switch it over for a bit to build up some lumber and put it back to firewood.   Eventually you can build a second sawmill so you can have both firewood and lumber going.

So that's kind of how everything goes...   

the bakery needs flour and you get flour from the wind/water mills which needs produce from farms like wheat, barley corn, oats.  The bakery can also use butter, cheese, sugar and a few other items which require their own professions to produce. 

Higher level houses require higher level products to build them.  Glass, housewares, etc.. so you'll need those professions if you want to build those houses.

The trick is finding the most efficient way among all the other options.  Ie... tallow is a byproduct of the butchers.  Not a lot of uses for tallow, but the Butchers are great, they increase food supply.  So use that tallow to make the candles needed to get the mines to the next level.   The next level after that needs lamp oil which comes from the oil press which needs veg oil or whale blubber.   Whale blubber needs the wharf which needs a hull component, the hull component is built by the ship yard which needs building supplies to build, which needs a building supplier profession.

Now, with this in mind... you can avoid some of this through trading for the resources you need instead of building the professions.  It's fun to mess around with all kinds of different methods to build your society.   Trade as much as possible,  make as much as possible, or a little of both.  There is just a wide variety of things to build and fill out your village so many different ways.   It's a pretty incredible mod.

I attached the Colonial Charter Spreadsheets in a zip file.   The link above is an online wiki of sorts.  It may have some mega mod stuff mixed in, but I don't think it's a lot yet.