News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

As you may have seen, I use the tiny town hall. It's an emergency solution; it looks nice but doesn't really fit into the Nordic style. That's the reason, I would like to see an early statistic building, too; (no worries the ordinary town hall is so nice looking I would build it even if I don't need the function). I don't think the medieval society was organized at all, at least not here in Sweden. If someone held some records, it was the church. So the most historically correct building to "refunction as town hall, would be the small chapel.

However, I don't see any risk in using more easy options, than you really want, just because some additional mods gives you the possibility. I use the tiny mod for the town hall and the wagon vendor for an early market; things I miss in the North. That's it! I'm fine with that. So short term, I don't need an additional town hall but I do look forward on the viking hall!

NK

@Tom Sawyer I just thought I'd drop in and offer a couple suggestions. I'm really enjoying the medieval/viking era aesthetic of your most recent updates, and the quality of your models and texturing is superb. Regarding the stone wall prop, I would appreciate if it could be ghosted like your other decorative fences--I like placing walls and fences in tight spaces between adjacent buildings and fields, so this slight tweak would be ideal. Also, I think the wall would benefit from being slightly taller.

Additionally, I would like to make 2 building requests: 1) a small medieval kiln for brickmaking as an antiquated alternative to the relatively large and modern brickyard. I would suggest it be similar in scale to the smith's workplace. 2) decorative shelters that have a similar style to your nordic cabins to place over stockpiles, kind of like these http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=355 

Thanks again for your work and dedication to this mod.   

Nilla

I have found a bug. At least I think so.

I had a crash. I went back to the last autosave and looked around, on what might cause it; no merchants on their way, no nomad time. Everything except two things as always; I was building a jetty trading port (but it wasn't very far, people still carried materials to it) so I don't think it caused any trouble and I was upgrading one log cabin to a red house. I looked at these two objects and the crash came just at the point, as the demolition of the old house was done. That's why I guess that the upgrade caused the trouble.

To the suggestions from @NK;
I wouldn't appreciate a smaller brickyard. I think it's one of the special things with the North, that bricks, roof tiles and glass are more difficult than in other mods to produce. There's a timeline in the game; you need to wait, to evolve into an early industrial era. I like that. A small brickyard would take a part of that feeling away.
But I would also like to have some simple roofing over stockpiles. Sure, I would like to hide the "mess" on a mixed stockpile under a roof. Also if you store wood, firewood, charcoal... it could make sense, to keep it out of the rain and snow.

Tom Sawyer

Thank you, NK for your suggestions. A smaller brick kiln is a good idea to complete the brickmaking set and to not have to switch for roof tiles. It can be more primitive but probably also requiring bricks to not flatten this tech tree concept. Covered storage items I will put on my list and have it already for firewood. The wall I had fully ghosted first but it was even for me as creator very difficult to use since it is not placed centered on edges and needs an orientation. Road bound it's more convenient. But I can make a ghosted version as single mod.

This upgrade function I will fix. Thanks for this find!

Edit says.. No it's not the upgrade function. Must be something else.

Turis

Where's my precious? Us wants it really bad. Gollum... Gollum! :) :P

Nilla

You're right @Tom Sawyer. I had a few more houses to upgrade (have manually demolished them so far) and now it works without crash. No idea what it was the first time.

Edit: it crashed again, just a little later in the "upgrade circle" than before. It would be very strange, if these crashes had another cause than the upgrade. I have played quite some time this evening without crashes. It only comes when I try to upgrade with the upgrade button.

I can't really explain this. I went back to the save I made before the "upgrade house" was demolished. Again the crash came a short time after it was demolished, but before any building material was carried to the building site. Next time I let it be demolished, then I tried to delete the new footprint: crash. Third time I reclaimed the upgrade and just demolished the house and built a new one on the same spot. No crash. I have a few more old houses, I will try a third time to upgrade.

Edit: A third upgrade attempt also ended with a cras; just after the demolishion was done.

Conclusion: At least I can´t upgrade any log cabins with the upgrade button.

Tom Sawyer

You really found something. There are 4 log cabin models and 3 cottages. If you upgrade the 4. cabin it crashes. I always thought it just takes any model from the new house but it tries to build the same number and if it doesn't exist.. bam. It's fixed for next version. Thank you! :)

calli74

I can confirm the crash issue with upgrading too, just had it happen to me but I see you already know the reason and can fix it.

darnokthemage

A "Tingplace" or "Tingplats" could be a very early administrative building.

Tom Sawyer

Yes! I want exactly this for the Viking update. Will start making it after the 6.1 release.

Tom Sawyer

North 6.1 "Spring Update"

.. now out of beta and available on Steam or for manual download. Together with both aging mods and German or Russian translation if you like. Thanks to Lucy Bextor for updating it in time. Also Thanks to Nilla and all other people who played the beta version and wrote about bugs! The release post and all download links you find on www.banishedventures.com/north61. If something is not working just let me know. :)

Nilla

Thank you! :)

Perfect timing. I loaded the "Industrial stuff" from DS yesterday and realized that the map was too small, so I decided to start a new game tonight. :)

Nilla

I have problems with crashes. I think it's something with "Ironman". Downloaded it from your web page @Tom Sawyer . When I replaced it with Norseman; no crash.

Ironman is first on the mod list. At least I think it belongs there. I do as I always do when I change mods: Set the mods, start a map, exit Banished, start Banished, start a new map (if I haven't saved the first one). The first time it worked to start with "ironman" then never again.

Edit: some additional information.

Since "ironman" doesn't work, I wanted to remove it from the WinData file. I couldn't. I got the message: "It's not possible to end this task because the file is open in Application-x64" Banished is not open. It crashed earlier. Haven't started Banished since. And it doesn't change if I restart and finish Banished in a normal way. I guess, I must restart the computer.

Tom Sawyer

I tried it from download and had the same crash @Nilla. Must have been a corrupt file. I have uploaded a new file and now it works. Please download Ironman again and replace the pkm in your mod folder. I will check new downloads in future.

Your message about Application-x64 means that Banished is still running after a crash and has to be closed in task manager or by restarting your computer.

Nilla

Thanks, now it works. And closing Banished in the Task Manager wasn't enough, there was no more crash, but I couldn't save. After restarting the computer it seems to work. :)