News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Multi-Challenge #1: Valley of Death

Started by solarscreen, June 01, 2014, 12:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

ya me too i was talking about the market, but i voted to report to sunday night. will see how it goes ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

mariesalias

I voted to keep it to Friday the 13th, which is just fitting since it is a Death Valley challenge on seed 666. Seemed appropriate, anyway. ;D

rkelly17

So, here's my take on the Valley of Death. It's Early Autumn of Year 37. The first two are my town hall summary and the mini-map for information purposes. Next up are the East side of the river which contains the start location and the oldest parts of the settlement. The initial forest village is to the South. This has become the industrial part of the valley with quarry and mine plus housing for the workers. It is a bit more gritty, with log cabins. The only efforts at beautification are the well and wagon memorial along the South side of the market square.

The other three pictures are the West side of the river from North to South. At the far North is the second forest village. South of that is the main centre of town. The second picture focuses on the central section and then the southernmost part of the West side. The central square is the largest and most beautified and includes the town hall, the second school and the oldest chapel. The square South of the small creek also shows some efforts at beautification and includes the newer chapel and the third school. This side  of the river is the agricultural side with farms all around and livestock to the South. It is also the "nicer" part of town with stone houses and more attention to landscaping and aesthetics. No merchants have yet offered chickens for trade, so we are raising cows and sheep so far. The field crops are wheat, beans, cabbage, potatoes and (just in the last season so not yet planted) squash. In a harsh climate I like at least one late season crop because Spring frosts can do as much damage to early season crops as Fall frosts do to late season crops.

The last picture is a view of the main square looking from the North toward the South.

RedKetchup

Valley of Death ! it really deserves its name ^^i ve got to redo 2 times !!
i was at  582 Citizens (153 homes - 267 families)

edited cause not pertinant anymore

ivorymalinov

I finished! Please don't make me do that again.  ;)

The cart you start with was between the two wells in front of the Town Hall. Unfortunately my little workers were too fast emptying it for me that I didn't have time to click on reclaim.

I had a population explosion in the last 5 years and I was trading a heap of steel tools, warm coats, herbs and firewood for whatever food the trader could bring.

PS. Removed the attachments, fumbled around in the gallery and have added Town hall stats, etc in a post below.

Overview...

Crop sector (District 2)...

District 2..

My one and only trade dock...

The river into town lined with eager fishermen and women...

solarscreen

Well done @ivorymalinov !  Well done!  Looks like the Valley of Death competition just got hot!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

RedKetchup

woah ! nice @ivorymalinov :)

i love the idea of the 2 cross on the floor :)

and woah ! you bought all the patterns ?? i mean all the seeds ??? awesome, well done !
Gj

(me finally i had to restart from begining, it was..... the valley of Death !! hehe)

ivorymalinov

Thank you @solarscreen and @RedKetchup . This was my first and only try at this map. I'm terrible on these settings. I usually stick to easy, sometimes medium difficulty and fair climate... big maps. But I wanted to try.

Things were hard for the first 3 years. I had a gathers hut with 4 workers and that was pretty much it. I lost a few people in those years. I rotated one worker out every now and then to make firewood then it was back to gathering. As the population grew I tossed in a hunters camp and fishermans dock, then loggers camp and my health was damn low so a herbalist was next. 

I got lucky with herbs. In the end I had 2 main herbalists gathering and one in the original city square for access to peeps and I was trading over 1000 herbs every year for stone initially, then food. I was only short 2000 food every year in the end to what I was producing. I think that was because I set all the orchards to cut at winter of year 45 so they would all be in full bloom with no new seedlings by year 50. I think a couple of orchards may have had a new tree or two by year 50 but for the most part it worked.

I had to include the screenshot of my trade items. I was pretty stoked I managed to collect all the seeds whilst trying to stay alive!  I only ever have 1 trade dock. That is more than enough for me to stock and deal with. (older lady syndrome, lol)

I only took in 8 nomads around year 13. They gave my peeps Dysentery so I didn't accept anymore of them after that.

My pastures were tossing out food and were all at 20x20. I was trying farms at 15x4 as I'd read in one of the main forum pages as being ideal. It was working well until I cut the orchards and ran into food problems.

I had 3 different size cemeteries in the end, the smallest was 35 peep capacity. All were full and I was half a star down on happiness because of that. Unless I start chucking the bodies in the river there just wasn't enough room to toss in another graveyard.

Don't forget to view the photobucket album. There's some nice shots in there that I didn't want to upload here in case it slows everyone's internet down.

Looking forward to seeing what others can do with this "lovely" (tongue in cheek there) valley map of Death.

Trade items...

Town Hall stats...

Town Hall view...

View of the backside of the town hall...

solarscreen

@ivorymalinov you are always welcome to put those screen caps in the gallery and link to the ones you want to use in your posts.

ertira

I am up to Early Summer, Year 50, Not much fancy stuff and do not have a bunch of people. Love my trees to much, used most of them anyway  ::)

Now comes the fun part. I can load up to 2gb of screen shots using F12 onto Steam. Now my good and experienced fellow Banishers how do I get them included as a part of the post?
I have played with the attachments and other options  but they always come up blank on the preview. Downloaded the Steam screenshots a few days ago onto my picture folder on my computer. That went smoothly, just moved them there and was done, Began a post to see if I could include them. I got the screen shots to go into the multiple attachments fine but they never showed up. Real new concerning forums and the how I can bring in "attachments". Would like to learn.  :-[

So I propose a step by step "Posting of Fancy Stuff for Dummies" to be creating by a knowledgeable individual such as our esteemed and experienced poster solarscreen.  ;D

Am waiting with wheezing breaths.    Ertira  ???

RedKetchup

@ivorymalinov  sorry i forgot to check your photobucket :(

but ya, it s hard not for nothing lol. i restarted (as i stated earlier) the map ... and took me 2-3 times. even one try at 2nd year, i ve got 6 houses and i ve got 4 gatherers, 4 fishermen, and 1 hunter , and .... i dunno... they happended to all died from starvation :S
at year 2 with three quarter of all the people working to get food. i didnt understood that one.

@ertira  2gb of screenshot ? o.O wow. all .bmp 1690x1280 ? or even bigger ? hehe

i usually resize them at 50% and save as .JPG before uploading those cause that , to not get 2gb of screenshot ^^ thats huge ^^

Demonocracy

I've come as far as I could on the Market Radius challenge, and I'm starting on this one now.  I'm feeling a little nervous because I've never used a Small map before, and I also haven't tried out Harsh climates.  I just know my first winter is going to kill everyone!

solarscreen

@ertira you are limited to a few attachments in posts. What you should do is upload your images to the Gallery and then use the links it provides to show them in your posts.  Feel free to upload all you have.

ertira

@solarscreen

Ok will try tomorrow. Kind of eager to get this figured out. Thought I had it the other day. :)

ivorymalinov

@solarscreen ... trying the gallery trick. How on Earth do I resize the image so it's not so big? Thanks for your time.