News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Aging Mod Challenge

Started by Abandoned, July 11, 2019, 03:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

Yes, but that time until you 'figured' it out is what thrills us.
That is why we mod it and that is why every honest try to assemble some facts is worth a lot.

I have no more to say - It feels easier or harder. Math has no relevance as you said.

MarkAnthony

I'm beginning to regret I ever said that playing with real-time aging was harder for me as a new player. It's seemed to have turned into a thing here. I just assumed you would have got what I meant.

Sorry guys.

Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

theonlywanderer

I played another round with this alt aging mod to see how long it initially takes to get even one student to become an adult/laborer.  Yeah, no thanks!   I'd rather stick my head in a blender then play with an aging mod.

ALT AGING
Early Winter 1 - Denisha becomes student
Autumn 7 - Denisha becomes adult/laborer

VANILLA
Late Spring 1 - Racuiina becomes student
Early Autumn 2 - Racuiina becomes adult/laborer

theonlywanderer

Quote from: kid1293 on July 15, 2019, 06:28:16 AM
Yes, but that time until you 'figured' it out is what thrills us.

Yes, I absolutely agree 100%.   But figuring out Vanilla vs figuring out an aging mod?   Same level of difficulty, just WAY slower for the aging mod.   Agonizing slower....     to each their own with aging mods!   Not for me.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: theonlywanderer on July 15, 2019, 06:23:23 AM
How do you justify calling something harder in banished just because it has to be done for a longer time?  It's not literally physical work, it's clicking a mouse and waiting.

We start to talk in loops. I fully got what you mean and just said it's valid to say "harder" to get something in a game if it takes longer. I think English is not that precise with this word but I can be wrong. Also, clicking and waiting can be very hard. So hard that people need to speed it up 5 times.  ;D

theonlywanderer

@Tom Sawyer

Yes, there is obviously some subjectivity in this, but it's a fine line.

Let's look at the common scenario where you have to switch a laborer between the blacksmith and tailor.

Say in Vanilla you have to do that for 2 years.   In the aging mod, you'll do that for maybe 7 or 8 years.

Can you really say it's harder to do the exact same thing just because it's being done for a longer time period?   I would say more tedious... more monotonous...  but I just can't elevate it to being any harder.

Tom Sawyer

Yes, I think it can be called a harder setting if it needs more activity and time but not more intellect to get the same thing. You narrow it down to the last aspect but that's not even a typical case. You can usually achieve almost everything in a game over levels of difficulty just by more activity and it's probably even a design idea. Maybe you argue so insistently because you feel a bit offended playing a setup that could be considered as "easy" or not so clever but actually nobody said so.

Abandoned

Quote from: MarkAnthony on July 15, 2019, 06:40:59 AM
I'm beginning to regret I ever said that playing with real-time aging was harder for me as a new player. It's seemed to have turned into a thing here. I just assumed you would have got what I meant.

Sorry guys.

@MarkAnthony   No regrets and no need to apologize.  :)  I got exactly what you meant and agreed.  Micromanaging and balancing takes a little practice.  It is the reason I would not recommend an aging mod to a new player.  You are doing fine, and keep asking questions and making comments on the forum.  :)  Also thanks for incentive needed to post my mod list system.  I hope it will be of some help to some players.

theonlywanderer

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 15, 2019, 11:15:38 AMMaybe you argue so insistently because you feel a bit offended playing a setup that could be considered as "easy" or not so clever but actually nobody said so.

"Argue so insistently" is bit harsh of a description.   Are we supposed to make one comment and then walk away and not back up what we say?   I thought these forums were about discussions, not one hit remarks and run.

"You feel a bit offended"... again, a bit harsh and not even close.    More like a bit frustrated when something obvious goes right over somebodies head.

Some keep saying "it's more difficult to progress with aging mods", but that's simply not true.   Progress is progress even if it's slower progress, which is the exact intent of aging mods.  If you try and compare how progress is made with vanilla aging versus how progress is made with an aging mod, well, that's just ridiculous and an invalid comparison.   Aging mods have their progress level and vanilla aging has it's progress level.    As long as you are not dying off in either scenario, that's what matters and it takes all the same functions in both scenario's to make that happen and balance everything out.   Where is the increased difficulty when doing all the same functions in both scenarios?

Somebody plays an aging mod and then says "Wow, it's difficult to grow a population"....  well... DUH!!!   Aging mods aren't designed to grow a population, they are designed to slow down growth.  If you play the aging mod for what it is, it's not more difficult at all.

Tom Sawyer

Come on, I even checked a dictionary for the sweetest variant of wording. I'm from the dark germanic woods and have a hard time speaking noble English but I do my best. I think to come up again and again with something where not even a disagreement exists is to argue insistently for any reason. To quote and weight words is also only to keep arguing and to be offended. It's a method to escalate a talk. Instead we should sit in the hall and drink some horns of ale or so.  ;D

moonbelf

QuoteInstead we should sit in the hall and drink some horns of ale or so.  ;D

I agree. How about you guys/gals all lay down the hatchets and call a truce?

Abandoned

In conclusion aging mods are not for everyone.  Some think they make the game harder, some easier, some think the only difference is the time change. It is a matter of opinion and choice to use or not to use.  Thank you all for comments.

RedKetchup

i never played with a such mod... so dunno how it feels
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Thanks for commenting Mr @RedKetchup   :)  I hope you have been feeling better.