News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Alchieva Mountain - My first success at all achievements on one map.

Started by theonlywanderer, August 01, 2019, 03:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theonlywanderer

Well.. here it is!!   My first success at all achievements on one map.

First, a shout out goes to RedKetchup for a comment he made a long long time ago on an old forum about the modkit having 25,50, and 100 speeds.  I was going to use another program to speed things up, but it would have been a pain in the rear and doubt I would have continued my attempt for very long seeing as you have to set the speed code every time you restart Banished and that would get old quick.   I sure as heck would never attempt this with only 10x.... NOPE!!   Never would have happened.

To call this just a challenge is a great understatement.   I first had to unlearn everything I was doing while playing larger maps, which was hard enough.   I went through quite a few maps and quite a few attempts before I finally retrained myself on the basics of playing the vanilla game again.  I also had to relearn all the data about the vanilla game pieces and train myself to use totally different tactics and techniques.

Bottom line...  it's quite clear they never really intended all challenges to be done with one map, but the fact it can be done....   quite awesome!

I plan to create a separate topic for a full on explanation of everything I did and learned throughout this challenge so that anyone reading this thread and checking out the pics won't get any unwanted spoilers on how things were done.   I know that can be important to some people, me as well.  I tried to avoid reading any type of advice about this challenge so I could figure it all out myself.

Anyway... on to the pics.......   You'll get a kick out of how I managed the Golden Gate on this map!

Some of them I had to use the achievements dialog for the award because I was busy managing things and some of them can go by without notice.  I tried digging back through the event log for some of them and wasn't too far back, but some I just kept clicking and clicking and that got old real quick not knowing how far back the award was received, gave up!   Most I was able to catch and some of them I was fully expecting since I was deliberatly going after it at that time.

Enjoy!!

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Congratulations! Getting all the achievements on one map is not easy, @Nilla is the only one who has done it before that I know about. I for one shall certainly be interested to hear about your tactics and techniques.

Nilla

Well done. It´s a lot of fun to solve this puzzle! :) I would also like to hear more about your strategies. The start is tough (expected difficulties) and I can also remember some more unexpected problems; like not having enough roads to put stones on and that graves disappeared before you could get the needed number.

theonlywanderer

It's kind of a weird situation with that whole tombstone achievement and I would care more if it wasn't for the fact I could have easily gotten it at the end anyway, which was my initial intent.

But if you look at pic 36, the golden gate achievement, I was up to 661 people, tools, clothing, firewood... all good, except for the food, right?  You can check the pics before that point also and everything was doing reasonably fine for that many people, everything was decent and stable.

But then something happened around the time just before and up to dealing with that bridge where no food was being brought by any traders.  Sometime between year 183 or 184 up to 186 something glitched.  They kept coming, ding... ding... ding.... no food, no food, no food... just seeds, animals, industrial....  seeds, animals.....seeds... seeds...seeds...animals.. every friggin trader...  nine ports and no food coming anymore.  It made no sense at all and never in the hundreds of banished rounds I've played have I seen ports do that before... just smacked me right in the face and ruined my game.

and then, they kick me straight in the nads with a disease.....

I'm like... WTF??     I went from 661 citizens down to 464 in no time flat from starvation.  That's one way to fill graves real quick, huh?   Well, needless to say the town completely went to the crapper since no food was coming and I had to go back to a earlier save and replay all those years.  I kept saving and saving and saving as things kept working and hoping the issue wouldn't return to where I could never continue, but thankfully everything stayed working, kept getting food again and finally worked my way up to another shot at the the final 900.   You can see my food was back up and everything is stable... coats were about dead, but a boat should have come soon to fix that.

So, I decided to just leave the Tombstone award since all I have to do now is let a few die again and refill the graves, no big deal so it's all good.

RedKetchup

do you know if you save just before the boat hit the trader, like a few-some tiles away from the TP. if you are not satisfied, you can always reload and get another trader :)
the merchant you get is random RNG and it is rolled when they hit their TP :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

moonbelf

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 03, 2019, 04:24:41 PM
do you know if you save just before the boat hit the trader, like a few-some tiles away from the TP. if you are not satisfied, you can always reload and get another trader :)
the merchant you get is random RNG and it is rolled when they hit their TP :)

Wowsa! That's awesome info thank you!

theonlywanderer

Yep, I am aware of that Red, but I was going for a clean run without any tricks like that.      I only had to back up one other time when the game crashed and corrupted my current save.  The 5 minute autosave helped me on that one, so I only had to redo a bit.   When the trader glitch occurred and everything went to the crapper, my last actual save was much further back.   I obviously was really focused on my bid to make Tenure and forgot to save.  The autosave was no help since it was also at the point of no return from the glitch.

The modkit version of the game has a few annoying issues with it for sure.   It started to randomly crash when I would set a road for demolition and overlapped a building in the process.   Never had that problem with the regular version.    Then it started randomly crashing while zooming out and panning at the same time.