Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned- North Mining Town - (or NMT for short) - Story #13

Started by Abandoned, May 12, 2017, 07:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

RedKetchup

sweet stonehedge !!!

did you know if you place yourself at a specific point on the map , inside stonehedge, you can predict the solstices of @Tom Sawyer  's north mod ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

@RedKetchup I spent some time hanging around the standing stones in June and December and only noticed the long shadows which sometimes look like they could be numbers.  Hard to tell in December because of all the falling snow.  It is sure a nice looking structure.  :)

@brads3 more destruction to come.

Abandoned

Chapter 19

Season come and go and so do boatmen.  In August of year 22, Izeth returned, we brought chestnuts, squash, and bread.  He again had no grain.

The blast furnace's construction was finally completed, it was an imposing structure.  Coke or charcoal would be used to turn iron ore into iron and take some of the workload off our blacksmiths.  They could devote all their time to tool making. 

The 3rd and last historical site was restored as much as was possible.  It was once a magnificent church.  We had no idea when it was built or by who, we found no evidence of prior settlements here in this valley, only the 3 sites.  The builders said it was structurally sound enough to use as a place of worship if we so choose.  It maybe safe and sound but no one was brave enough to climb up the tower staircase.  The view was bound to be spectacular as was the church itself.

Not far from the church, the old salty was demolished and a old smokery was built in its place.  We would smoke beef and looked forward to smoked fish to go with our rye bread.

The following year, year 23, we debated over what type of clay pit to build, we had a choice of 2, likewise should we build a kiln or a brickyard.  Our need for brick and roof tiles was small so we choose the small clay pit and kiln. The simpler structure would not need building materials to be delivered by a boatman.  To date the boatmen had only a few bricks and no roof tiles at all so we would have to place a special order.  For a bigger mine we would need candles.  Before the end of the year, Havenia the resource merchant brought about half of what we would need.

By then we had built 2 log cabins where the archeology center used to be.  The placer mine was scheduled for demolition next.  We now had 51 families but only 41 homes but we also needed another school and more food.  The school and a mill were built over by the pond and memorial chapel.  We still had much we wanted to accomplish in our NMT.

Abandoned

Chapter 20

By spring of year 24, we had a bridge built and another rye field cleared and planted across the river from the new mill.  It wasn't long before the 1st of 2 Nordic style houses were built.  Our food supply in June was again critically low, we added 2 more fisherman and gathered as much wild foods as we could find.  We did have a good harvest that year and traded for even more rye and eggs when Ofelicia the food merchant came to call.  The output from our mines, quarries, and blacksmiths was also good.

A house was built where the placer mine use to be, and then it was upgraded with bricks and roof tiles.  It was a very nice looking house.  The house next to the statue carver was upgraded next but with a slightly different roof color that also looked very nice indeed.

It was another cold and snowy December but our food and fuel supplies were good.

Abandoned

Chapter 21

In March of year 25, Tani the export merchant actually had some dalers to trade, we traded amber for the dalers he had.

In May, 25 nomads arrived at the lighthouse but did not want to stay.  It was a beautiful day, a little cool for May but it nice and sunny.  It wasn't warm enough for them, they were headed south.

Shortly after the summer solstice in June, 7 nomads arrived at the wooden chapel, 5 adults with 2 children.  They gained a new home, we gained a hunter, fisherman, and laborers to help gather wild food. 

In September there was an outbreak of typhus.  The crops were harvested before the 2 patients were healed.  The harvest was good and this year we produced more than we used.

In December NMT suffered its 1st lost, Yoselynn the hunter died of old age.  She was one of the  nomads who arrived in year 4.  So after 25 years we had a population of 190, 95 adults, 31 students, and 64 children. 

Yes, weary traveler, our North Mining Town did quite well for itself.  We restored 3 amazing ancient historical sites, we managed to keep everyone warm and well fed, and produced a surplus of clothes and tools  for trade.  We all know that no one can make tools like a dwarf in the North. 

The End

brads3

there is certainly a lot out there. you build alot of the map.where are you off to next?

Nilla

It's always a pity when you leave your settlements. Don't you sometimes want to let them develop a little bi longer?

Abandoned

@Nilla I often hate to leave one of my settlements but there always comes a time there isn't much that can be done because of lack of space.  Here not much could be done without harm to hunter or gatherer territory.  I wanted to show more statistic on the mining but often production stopped because limits reached or I needed workers elsewhere.  It probably would have been another 25 years to get enough candles for the bigger mine.  The North is certainly beautiful, hated to leave.

@brads3 , the last mod not featured in a story is Kid's Tequila mod, so heading southwest next.