News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Dense Forests

Started by Voeille, May 15, 2018, 07:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voeille

brads3

i do understand you are a new modder. always good to have new modders.they can sometimes unlock different aspects of the game code and do bring different ideas.  i have several questions. how much of the tree code did you have to change to accomplish this?? will it work with other trees;like CC or the pine mod. i ask since the pine,new flora,and nat div have been adjusted over time to work more together. i don't have the new flora but do use the others. does you mod affect the log outputs per tree? based on your pics there is reeds, so i assume you have this woring with CC. if it doesn't affect the pine mod trees,would it  still continue to plant vanilla trees? do these trees die at some point or would they be affected by the forever tree mod.

River

I myself am using it in a game right now....no CC or Pine mod BUT...EVERYTHING is growing. Trees, bushes, reeds, everything I got.
REMEMBER: In games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Banished, etc, there IS NO WRONG WAY TO PLAY!!

brads3

that is interesting,RIVER. so the mod is affecting other plants. does that include herbs and food?

Gatherer

I'm guessing it would affect forest food as the trees will overtake all available tiles.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

River

Yes. I get lots of herbs and food too. It appears to affect all growing things.
REMEMBER: In games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Banished, etc, there IS NO WRONG WAY TO PLAY!!

Voeille

I didn't notice this thread was automatically created after I uploaded the mod! I would've replied sooner if I did. Anyway, it does show as conflicting with CC and NatDiv, so it might affect how they work, but I haven't noticed any issues. No idea about the Pines as I don't use it. With NatDiv I've actually never had the grass generated when I start a new game and in order to get thatch I need to place the thatcher building. But then again, I use a lot of mods (including Beautiful World), so something is probably affecting it.

It doesn't affect reeds, at least not in my game (reeds are from Beautiful World, decorative only), just trees (any trees, vanilla or CC), and I would guess it might also affect grass from NatDiv (I will observe how fast it expands). It doesn't affect forest food at all, I left the spawn part untouched to achieve compatibility with New Flora. But, the more trees in an area, the more food and herbs will spawn. It's like placing a forester lodge and setting it to plant, it'll make the forest as dense as possible, and increase the amount of food and herbs.

What it does exactly:

float _maxGrowth = 64.0; //changed from 5, which I assume is how many years a mature tree stays on the map before falling
int _seedChance = 4; //changed from 12, it seems like the smaller the number is, the faster new trees will be spawned
int _seedTimeMonths = 2; //changed from 3, I suppose it's delay between spawns from a certain tree (i.e. if a tree spawned a new seedling, it won't do it sooner than 2 in-game months)

The rest is left vanilla. So, this is a really small mod and shouldn't affect much.

And yes, I'm new, but don't expect too much ;) I can code a bit as I'm a computer science student, but I don't like it enough to do it as a free time activity. However, I plan to add tress I made for Cities Skylines as decorations, and a storage option when I feel like 3D modelling again (and I'm a beginner so doing anything takes ages; it'd be even worse if The Sims series didn't train me in texturing ;)).

brads3

you won't get thatch unless the nat div is hgh in mod order. it also depends on map settings.  i like how your mod lets the trees keep sprouting and fill in the maps. to me that makes sencethough maybe a little slower than you set it at. i actually wonder if i put this mod above the pine and ND,if it will let those trees and plants keep spreading out more. or if it would cause an override and stop the pine mod's trees from growing at all. might make for some interesting map changes. wonder what would happen to RED's fodder meadows with trees regrowing in them.

Voeille

@brads3
What values would you like? It's easy to change that, I could make a separate version (or you could yourself if you have the mod kit).

I actually have NatDiv pretty high, for all I remember it didn't spawn thatch even as the top mod, but maybe I did have something else above it so it's worth checking again.

brads3

i did a quick test this does seem to have some impact without overriding the other trees. i have lots of other trees with the pine and CC mods so it is hard to judge how much impact it is having. i do want to try this in my next game and see how it goes.

brads3

i am using this mod and been runninig checks on it.i show 2 files under the mod,a dense forest index and a natural resource template. am i correct that if i move this mod in mod order and disable the template the dense trees won't grow? where it is now in mod order the dense index shows white but the template is orange. if i move it the template will be yellow.

with this mod i think my pine mod and other trees are producing less logs when cut.it also is overriding the immortal tree mod.these trees do grow up and push other trees out.i just realized the grapes and pear trees are overgrown by the dense forest trees,since nobody was tending to those areas. my concern is does this happen to other forests like the pine and maple sap making the forester work harder. say he is planting pine trees but the mod is planting and growing wild trees,they would take out the trees he has planted.this would cause a loss of pine items and logs both.

though my review is mixed,the mod is interesting. i do wish the trees woud spread slower,plant trees half as often.maybe even make it so the trees take over the map 3 times as long. also that the trees were immortal and not die.if there was a way,it woud be nice if this mod addected the other modded trees.then the pines and maples would grow and spread out as well.

Voeille

I could make a version for you with slower growing but immortal tress. I don't know how custom trees mod work though, so I can't do much about that aspect.