News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod Ideas: Pleasure Pack

Started by c_jayy93, April 10, 2017, 05:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c_jayy93

Hi everyone! This is my first discussion post on WoB. I'm a devoted Banished player and I have a few ideas for a possible mod package I'd like to see someone, if they have the time and desire, to develop. For starters, I have never created mods before, so I understand if there's a feeling of "Why don't you just do it yourself?" Sorry.  :(

Here's my idea. I would love to see a mod package containing:

1.) an outdoor theater/playhouse
2.) a outdoor pavilion
3.) public Turkish baths
4.) Opera house
5.) Art gallery
6.) Art work ornaments
7.) Schools devoted to theatricals and art
8.) Studio buildings
9.) Rustic outdoor theaters
10.) Baroque-style city hall

I'm drawing from my experiences playing Anno 1503 AD for the list of specific buildings. All of these buildings would increase happiness and the schools would increase education.

What do you think? Comment and let me know your opinions. :)

-Corey

embx61

Hi @c_jayy93 and welcome.

All the building you are suggesting can be made but most of them will not have a real in game function besides giving some happiness and are therefore for variety only.

For example, Schools cannot be devoted to anything because of the limitations of the Mod Kit.
You build a school, assign a teacher and when children reach a certain age they go to school to get educated and so become an Educated worker if they done with school. That is pretty much it.

Theaters, Art Galleries, Studio Buildings, and such can only give some happiness I guess.

I played the Anno series before and those Anno games are different then Banished.

Sadly the Mod Kit is pretty limited and we are begging the developer to add more functions to the Modkit.

A lot can be done with modding though but we have reached about the limits of what more Gameplay wise can be done.

So in a nutshell, the buildings can be created by us modders, but gameplay wise there is not much to gain besides variety.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

elemental

Theatres etc could generate coins (admission fees). They could even require costumes and props. It would be a little bit weird though because the bannies don't have personal wealth. Their society is one big first-in-first-served free-for-all. Or does everyone just imagine that they have money and we just don't see it?

But the CC governor's office (or whatever it is) generates tax coin. So it's not unprecedented.

QueryEverything

Quote from: c_jayy93 on April 10, 2017, 05:28:36 PM

1.) an outdoor theater/playhouse
2.) a outdoor pavilion
3.) public Turkish baths
4.) Opera house
5.) Art gallery
6.) Art work ornaments
7.) Schools devoted to theatricals and art
8.) Studio buildings
9.) Rustic outdoor theaters
10.) Baroque-style city hall

Welcome @c_jayy93  and what a fabulous list you have :)  They all look terrific, and have been asked for before (great minds think alike in these forums ;) )

My thoughts are below, and may or may not gel with others, and that's ok :D

1.) an outdoor theater/playhouse  --  Generates Happiness 
2.) a outdoor pavilion                   --  Generates Happiness
3.) public Turkish baths                --  Generates Happiness
4.) Opera house                           --  Generates Happiness / or mark as a school (opera singers need to learn their skill)
5.) Art gallery                              --  Generates Happiness / or mark as a school (artists need to learn their skill) / OR generate art work for sale at a trader
6.) Art work ornaments               --  Generates Happiness / OR generate art work for sale at a trader

7.) Schools devoted to theatricals and art -- as is, a school

8.) Studio buildings                     --  --  Generates Happiness / or mark as a school (artists need to learn their skill) / OR generate art work for sale at a trader
9.) Rustic outdoor theaters         --  --  Generates Happiness / or mark as a school (actors need to learn their skill)

10.) Baroque-style city hall         -- Generates Happiness / OR generates some form of trade

I really like the above ideas, where the building becomes a school, it's just a cosmetic change, the building changes its design, but the code is that of a school :D

I would love to have little outdoor stages in a lovely garden, generating powerful happiness :)  Sounds like bliss! 
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Paeng

Hi and welcome  :)

Quote from: c_jayy93 on April 10, 2017, 05:28:36 PMWhat do you think?

Well, we can basically forget the "Happy" factor, it hardly has an impact on gameplay...

Education can only be "upgraded" in terms of additional or second floor buildings, not by degrees of "smart"...

Items produced purely for export are possible, but in the long run water down the difficulty levels...

However, I'm all for "eyecandy", which can be really great for story building and Journals... late game structures that need huge loads of (special) materials and work without generating boatloads full of "profit", but are sort of an achievement, the pride of a town  ;)

I realize that's more interesting for the builders than for the min/maxers... but hey, so are chapels, taverns, cemeteries or other stuff not desperately needed for "survival"...  ;)

Quote from: embx61 on April 10, 2017, 05:39:34 PMwe have reached about the limits

Oh, I heard that already 2 years ago...  :D  And now look at what you guys come up with again and again - so much stuff thought to be impossible... and despite the modkit limitations.

Cheers!  :D
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

embx61

I agree Paeng.

Some of the modders (I am not there yet but hopefully get there one day) create nice new mechanics and seem to be able to get around some of the limitations of the Mod Kit. :)

I think I am more a 3d Model (While even there still so much to learn) guy then delving in the code to see how to get around the limitations.
Maybe I am just too lazy and/or unskilled in that department to go all over all the code to see if I can find a workaround.

I not even know how to do the so called ghosting (Who came up with that term?) , or how DS made his awesome marker wagons with a buildable road underneath it. :(

But I learn more and more, slowly but surely, as most of my buildings now have the proper AO maps instead of just a pure white image file. :)
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Paeng

Yeah man - the human mind is amazing  :)

Even in SC people still unlocked secrets a dozen years later...

Like going over heights...

And then even animating it... (heavy image ahead)

Necora

Quote from: Paeng on April 11, 2017, 01:02:39 PM
Yeah man - the human mind is amazing  :)

Even in SC people still unlocked secrets a dozen years later...

Like going over heights...

And then even animating it... (heavy image ahead)

Stop it... you're making me want to break out the PegProd stuff once more... the time I spent making that sort of thing. It was the main reason I played SC.

Necora

@Paeng following on from that, I would absolutely love to make the same sort of thing for Banished. I tried using the boat wake to make a turbulence in the water around a mill, but couldn't get it to build in the mod kit. I was always missing a file for some reason. But wouldn't that be spectacular?

Paeng

Quote from: Necora on April 11, 2017, 02:48:03 PMBut wouldn't that be spectacular?

Heck, yeah...  :D 

But a pretty long shot with Banished height maps...   ::)
* I've always wondered though how high peeps would "climb" in Kid's treehouse...

For a wake, or some turbulence or rapids... maybe sth. can be done with the particle system?... in SC we abused "industrial smoke" for it   ;)

QueryEverything

Quote from: Paeng on April 11, 2017, 04:25:56 PM
Quote from: Necora on April 11, 2017, 02:48:03 PMBut wouldn't that be spectacular?

Heck, yeah...  :D 

But a pretty long shot with Banished height maps...   ::)
* I've always wondered though how high peeps would "climb" in Kid's treehouse...

For a wake, or some turbulence or rapids... maybe sth. can be done with the particle system?... in SC we abused "industrial smoke" for it   ;)

I was wondering the same too, about a super tall building, like a super high forest building that would blend in with the trees, more intrinsic than the current ones (I love Kid's this isn't a complaint ;) ).  Or a way to make a super tall building with mountain access, for mountain dwellers, there's been talk for months about it, but nothing seems to move forward in that regard.

Could something like that, a blended building, super height, with a moved smoke point work?  And then, if so, the limit then becomes the running water for the cascade ... Basically butchering a few concepts to make a new one :) 
(Yes, I will not hijack this thread for nonsense again, maybe :D )
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

Quote from: Paeng on April 11, 2017, 04:25:56 PM

I think you have made a good point & suggestion here... :)
With all that RedKetchup & tanypredator were able to do with the flame effect, and also my own adjusting of smoke particles I think this deserves more investigation!

Necora

Hmm smoke particle. The boat wake is also a particle, but when I tried it kept saying 'couldn't build xxx.rsc' so eventually I gave up as I was kinda peeved that you can do what you want for smoke but not for the others. It does need more testing. I know if you have multiple smoke points in your model, but don't specify them in the template then they billow out all at once in the middle of the lot. So you get a rather impressive pillar of smoke. I don't know if you can change it to be more white or something.