News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Disaster!

Started by LadyMarmalade, June 12, 2018, 02:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyMarmalade

I wondered if any of you know the mechanics behind disasters in Banished? By this I mean, are they totally random or are the chances of them occuring linked to anything? I wondered if they could be linked to a particular map seed? Affected by a mod?

The reason I ask is that I've played Banished for many, many hours over the years I've owned the game. I usually play with Disasters on.  In all that time I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've had a tornado.  I've had several fires but I'm very meticulous about having lots of wells so they have rarely caused damage to more than a couple of houses/buildings.

I started a new map this afternoon. After a couple of hours the town was growing nicely..suddenly I see the Tornado Warning icon. I mutter to myself but am not really concerned because the town isnt big so the chances of it even hitting are, to my mind, remote. Wrong.  The tornado touches down just north of the town centre and almost seems to follow the line of the buildings right through the town demolishing three quarters of them and killing many of my Bannies. It couldnt have done much more damage if it tried!

After much cursing and ALOT of rebuilding, a while later I'm almost back to normal and things are starting to pick up again.

I can hardly believe my eyes when the Fire Warning comes up. Again, Im not too worried because I know my 'well coverage' is good.  Didn't seem to make a tiny bit of difference tho. Despite the numerous nearby wells..and the best efforts of almost the entire population, the fire destroyed several houses, the main market, and several businesses. I was beginning to think it was going to take out the entire town but it did eventually burn itself out leaving a trail of carnage behind.

That was a couple of hours ago and I've been rebuilding again ever since.

I've stopped now - for the moment to come here and write this ....because about ten minutes ago a MASSIVE tornardo just hit my town...again... dead centre...killed 30 or 40 Bannies...destroyed a ton of buildings ..

I'm wondering if this map is jinxed?

I am not a Gamer because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many.

kid1293

From what I know there is some mechanism that stops a disaster from happening too early.
Years? Number of bannies?

The occurence is random generated. With random I mean what the game thinks is random.
Some tables/functions for generating random events are full of 'holes' where singular
events have higher probabilty. If that random number generator (RNG) have got a 'bad'
start it will not be truly random. It can go in loops with same events happening again and again.
Most RNG's have code to stop that from happening. Luke wrote everything himself. Maybe
Banished does not have these safety measures?

Or, it is a very good RNG. Totally unpredictable!

Not much of an answer...  The short one - I don't know if your map is jinxed :)

LadyMarmalade

Thanks, Kid.

Im wondering if this is perhaps just fate trying to tell me I'm playing Banished too much lately!!!  I don't usually get to play for long periods of time but recently found myself unexpectedly unemployed...and have too much time on my hands while the job search goes on...   Maybe that has something to do with it.

kid1293

The game has a strange way of telling you it likes you :)

Nilla

Quote from: kid1293 on June 12, 2018, 03:05:42 PM
I don't know if your map is jinxed :)

Me neither. Like you, I have played a lot of Banished over the years and my impression is. that these disasters are totally random. I usually play disasters on and in most games, there are a few infestations; that's all. In others, there seem to be a curse, like in your game @LadyMarmalade . I even had a tornado once, that destroyed my whole village: killed every single person. It might very well be linked to the map; not the "kind of disaster", I think that's random and dependant on some probability but how often a disaster strikes. I have seen, that if you go back to an earlier save after you was hit by a disaster, there will be a disaster again, after you've reloaded the game, but most likely not the same. And if it by chance should be the same disaster, the fire starts at another building or another field is infested.

Sorry, @LadyMarmalade that you become unemployed. I hope you'll find your "dream job" soon.

brads3

give the map code to NILLA. let her have all that fun.LOL

having heard and seen enough weird things over the years of playing ,i think there is more to it. in general, most wil say it is random. i think it is more complicated than that. this may sound crazy, but if the "stars all line up a certain" way such and such will happen. it isn't that you do "X" and "Y" happens. it is more like A+B+C+D+........ then poof you trigger some weird event or mystery. these mystery or events are not bad a the time. there is actuay hidden gems that we have stumbed across but can't repeat.

when you went to fix the town after each disaster,you rebuid simiar in playstyle to the time before. each time it triggered a disaster. i'd be willing to bet,if you payed that game 50 years ,it woud contine to cycle that way until you did something different.someone else could take the map code and not have that issue.all because they play different.

LUKE coded the game with hidden things deep and hidden from us.

LadyMarmalade

@Nilla Thanks for your kind words. I'm not sure about the 'dream job' - I'm pretty certain it doesn't exist - unless you know someone who will pay me to play Banished and other games all day? LOL Right now I'll settle for a job that pays the bills.  Actually, I half-hope I don't manage to get one quite yet..this is the first time in 30 years I could be off work while the world cup is on - would be great to be able to watch all the games live!

As for my town. I've perservered with it. No more tornados so far. One more fire but that was my hunters lodge all alone in the forest so only one buidling casualty. Did make me think how LUCKY we are that forest fires can't happen in Banished tho!!  I've had an outbreak of influenza and one of mumps. Both only infected a couple of people who went straight to my hospitals in the far corners of the map (put there specifically to avoid spread of the infection)  so they didnt cause me much bother.  I will keep going with it and handle whatever the Gods of Banished send me. I don't know if you are the same but every now and again I start a town that I become really attached to and want to play on and on..this is one of those.