News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Artfactial- Connecticut Coastal Colony- Haynestown and it's genealogy

Started by Artfactial, January 15, 2019, 12:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artfactial

Short update: haven't had much energy to play of late and just came out of a 3 year famine so have to pick up the pieces that chaos storm left over town.

Also, mistakes like this only now become apparent when children of accidental families become parents themselves. Ohwell..

Hopefully the next chaotic 5 years soonish. Next genealogical update will be at the turn of the century as we enter the 1700's.
Speaking of, I only recently found out that the March year change of Banished is actually historically correct as England and its colonies only switched to the Gregorian new year (31 of Dec.) in 1752 and used Lady Day in the 25th of March before that time.:)

Artfactial

Notes on the Council Meeting of October 18th AD 1693
Death:
August 19th, Trice Whitbly, aged 13, due to starvation in the fort.
August 27th, Warney Goody, aged 22,  starved.
September 3rd, Cataly Hurrell, age 11, starved
Dicki Oakly, husband of Trice, aged 23,starved septemer 14th
Thadden Shaw, student, starved October 5th.
Humbert Haynes, died of old age 71,and in good company on October 18th.

The Council has endeavored to keep a closer track on the Parishes in the colony and their respective preachers:

• The Four Pines  Parish, Protestant, Kurtiss Mersey
  • Church of The Trinity, Protestant, Errold Germain
  • Reformed Congregation of Brakel, Dutch Calvinist, Herschelen Jung
  • Church of Saint Damasus, Jansenist Catholic Church, Moira Le Duff
  • Porters’ Parish, Almire LeFevre

Of trails and possessions:
Last year’s April, Audio and Loreann, pennants of the Baystreet Hostel, complained to Maxwellyn of infernal sounds coming from their neighbors. When inquired Waylan and Neva Glowbrenn confessed to having begotten a child, and were willing to pay penitence if only to be rid of the child possessed now in their care. They named the infernal boy Demon.
This January, the Town’s square was wrecked with more hellish screeching when, in the same house that once held Dandro and Tajaney Grimberghen’s unholy union. Many, spooked by the stories that have come down from the older folk in town called out and were up in a frenzy about the possible haunting. While these superstitions proved only partly untrue, soon the the newlywed couple Averne LeFevre and Lekenzie Green, when questioned by Magistrate Kurtiss Mersey, they too had produced a child with many of the symptoms on display by the Glowbrenn brood. They too had named their bellowing offspring Demon.
Almire LeFevre vowed to help the couple and their child in these trying times and keep them in the light of God for she yet saw hope in the boy’s future.

Of the Burgesse:
Orio Glowbrenn left his apprenticeship with Neva Haynes, and married Cammi Haynes and they soon moved into the new upper floor of the Freeman’s House.
Sophronica Haynes left Dandreas Chaarason and moved in with Humbert Haynes with her daughter Latrina after voicing neglect on her and the baby in the household.
During the cold month of February, Dalinsday Haynes, Carpenters’ apprentice, fell out of favor with her parents Selmerson and Liviana, after her apparent pregnancy, and was cast from their home on the Main street. She was housed by the St. Damasus Hostel and later married her long lover, Wintony Vincian, giving birth to their first child, Astoniwall Vincian in March.
The same month, Audio Le Veelu fell into a row with his father, Lashade. He temporarily moved into the new Baystreet hostel.
In May a group of 31 refugees from the war in the East passed our parts, but we could not offer them residence.
Jessiah Porter, late servand of the LeVeelu family had gone out to the Sheep’s Pen Pub on the eve of June the 3rd and has been missing since.

Of Construction:
The council hereby decrees, in light of multiple complaints on the soot produced by, and the general fire hazard being the iron smelters’ workshops by the canal; to be moved to the mining area.
In after Lente, Dicki Oakly and Trice Whitby moved into the fort keepers’ house.
It became apparent to them that it was exceedingly hard to get back to town from thence and with supplying the fort and easing the road Eastward in mind, the council has decreed a new, stone, bridge to be built on the south side to cross to Fort Edgardner.
As trade and commute between New Haven and Fairfield and the general use of the Stratford Ferry has become more prevalent, it was decreed that a broad avenue road should be constructed and maintained to ease the traveling to, from and through these parts.
By Lent our planned city wall had been half completed. The war is not soon to come to us but we will all sleep better knowing to be safe within its confinements.

Trade:
6-1: Traded for lobsters, sausages and radishes to strengthen our winter reserves.
28-2: Trader from New Haven: 20 Silverware for 1 glass, 42 bricks, 28 bonemeal.
12-3: Trader From Hull: 30 copperware for 64 wool.
26-8: Trader from Manhattan: 2000 Sorghum and 904 plums for 50 lumber, 10 glass, 39 pearls and 420 kegs of fertilizer.
25-10- 18: Muskets and 5 Cannon. For Wool, fur and wax.

Accounting:
Due to early frost in November and an unexpected delay in harvesting, a large portion of the first flax planting has withered.
Carrots-868
Pears-449
Rye-3554
Squash-710
Tea-265
Acorns-1480
Strawberries-520

Signed,
Gorvernor Haywardo Haynes

Notes on the Council Meeting of October 12th 1694
Deaths:
November 4th Racque Bowen, a seafarer working at the Roperry, died of starvation.
November 7th, Pennefred Barrow, age 10 ,student starved.
November 12th, Ston Shaw, age 9, student, starved. Leaving Rayburnie and Ernestin Childless.
November 25th, Hugh Barrow, age 8, student, starved.
November 27th, Neva Haynes, age 51, while working at the Baystreet fishery, starved.
December 3rd, Ethaniel Davenport, age 55, died of old age.
December 6th, Lamario Glowbrenn was found frozen in the Burgerwoods after a hunting trip, age 31.
June 14th 94, Jessiah Sawyer, age 20, starved.
July 2nd, Reana Glowbrenn, aged 42, Starved.
July 9th, Chesteban Copeland, Pine Logger, starved
august 15th, Ryle Copeland, aged 2, starved.
August 21st, Princes Haynes, 58, died of old age. Nephew Kylar lives in Chaarason house. Burry at Chaarason estate, next to Salvah.
August 27th, Mine Ludlow, aged 10, student, starved.
Same day, Elayna Ludlow, sister of Mine, age 6, student, aged, starved.
September 4th, Hessi Hartfort, age 28, working at the LeFevre mines, starved.
September 7th, Arabella Ludlow, student, aged 8, Starved. The last remaining Ludlow child.
September 12th, Demon Glowbrenn, age 1, starved
In February an urchin was found frozen dead in the field. She could not be identified.

As of this date , as per decree and in accordance with the Foundation of 1639 and the Amendment made in cooperation with the Connecticut Charter of 1662, this council has elected Clarench Germain to be the 12th Gorvernor of Haynestown.
Gorvernor Germain’s upbringing by the bayside and general connection to the populace will be paramount in helping those areas most in need of extra food supplies.

On Construction:
In February, the new lake mollusk farm and cranberry bogs started working to accommodate our food shortage.
Lashade LaVerve has taken the initiative to take the mining further: construction tunnel mine started in march. This mine is planned to tunnel through the hill on the east side of the Commons  to, in time, provide more space to build.
The big stone mansion on the Haynes Estate was finally finished this April.
By the end of summer, the new saltbox house had been completed at the new Pastures and the Visser Family moved in.

Of the Burgesse:
The famine now striking our town, and most generally the Brickworks, will be a hard beast to tame in the times ahead.
The Freeman house was one of the first in the town proper to be wrecked by famine, both Reana Glowbrenn and Jessiah Sawyer starved.
As the New Pasture community becomes more and more independent of the town, as by design of Gorvernor Germain, Matthia has started a vending stall on the crossroads at the center of the village.
Rooseveland and Amintie moved into Neva’s old home by Butcher Bridge after het death.
In May, Chestaban and Cathlene moved into the new Burgerwood hunter’s lodge house, finishing the construction started by Lamario Glowbrenn.
By October, the death of Demon Glowbrenn caused Waylan and Neva Glowbrenn to move out and settle in the recently vacated Mersey residence, as all freeman’s house residents had succumbed to the hunger.
In June another 25 refugees from the war-torn New Hampshire arrived, which we were forced to decline.
In late July Kylar Haynes married Herlie Mersey, started living in Chaarason estate.
Princess Haynes, having overseen the Burgerwood lumber harvest over the last 10 years and prompted the idea of the new Sawmill has, as of August 5th 1694, officially chartered the Princes Pine Logging Company. Shortly after, she fell ill and passed away at age 58. Her son Aryle Chaarason, continued her work as head of the Company.

Trade:
We hauled in our second harvest of Flax to the total of 698 sacks.
17-11-93: 381 oats for fried flowers and glass panes.
24-11-93: 33 bars of iron and 2 boxes of homewares for 250 Tallow, 200 salt and 49 firewood.
4-12-93: 200 sorghum for 50 Lumber
6-1-94: 26 copper alloyed tools for, bricks, glass panes and fishing equipment. And 11 linens for some silverware.
5-3-94: 286 plums and 150 cucumbers for 50 lumber and 168 fertilizer.
29-10-94: 530 cucumbers for 150 kegs of fertilizer and some pearls.

Singed,
Governor Clarench Germain,
ruling Council Members Haywardo Haynes, Darney Mersey, Dandreas Chaarason, Aryant Glowbrenn, Jalentin Barents & Cleonidad LeFevre

Nilla

Are you deliberately keeping the food stores low to get a historically correct story? Can you manage that those (presumably rich people) living in big houses and estates don´t starve? Because that would not be very historically correct.  ;)

Artfactial

Gehe, sadly no, most of that is just mismanagement on my part that I have to fit into the historical picture.:P Which indeed fits fine...most of the time. When the lording class in the mansions starve while the workers in the fields are fine it's time to either wrangle the story into some dramatic fashion...or just throw my hands up in resignation, tally the deaths and try to get out of the spiral.:')
I did eventually, 5 years down the line, but the resulting baby-boom is starting to catch up with my frantic building of new food sources.

This is one of the areas where the realistic aging discussion is relevant here: sending a whole batch of students home to work in the fields ruins an entire generation for 7+ years to come.

But yeah, managing the game, the historical accuracy (Can this crop be introduced here yet? Was this technology available at the time?)the story and the data at the same time makes me drop balls at places.:)

Artfactial

While researching the Native American tribe areas around my fictional town, at the mouth of the Housatonic, I came upon some journal descriptions of the area and the Quinnipiac tribe land there.
It includes a 1758 hand drawn map of the exact area I am playing in which apparently in reality held a 200 acre reserve at the time, the area which is now a wildlife reserve.
I love this kind of details directly from the source. Am going to have to implement the Quinnipiac more thoroughly into the story.

I have been working on a map of the town of which to base different cartographic plans for things like ownership and city expansions planning.

Edit: Nevermind, it is not the same area, I goofed. Still a nice piece of history and it talks of the Stadford Ferry which is close to my town at any rate.

Artfactial

Slowly starting to write up on the backlog of entries. There's 5 years of writing to do and some mess to untangle with all the dying, but it'll be a good exercise to get back into the setting.
After that I'll  do an update on the genealogy in 1700 ad, after which I'll see if I can get back to actually playing and in what format I can best register and present the project without it being an ever increasing strain and burden.  Keeping myself to the last rule set out in the OP is very important to the survival of the project. And mine, for that matter.
I'll probably hurry a almanac or regional courier/news paper soon to allow for a more fluent and detached storytelling format without having to get into too much of the raw data.
I would like to do more illustrations with the entries to enliven it all but this obviously adds more complications so they'll probably be scarce until I find a more manageable format and have an in-game parchment/paper production set up.
I don't know how many of you are currently interested in the continuation of this, but I figure it's of minor concern as the project as a whole will be a thing people can get into whenever in the future. Those along for the ride in the now: thanks for sticking along!

My plan to make it as far as possible into historical time and transition over into Cities Skylines is still an ambition but obviously one far ahead in the future. The current goal is to make it to the end of the 19th century, possibly ending it at the conclusion of the Civil War, but again, that's far into the future and we'll have to see how long the save game, the database management, and me hold out.

Till the next entry, take care!

Nilla

I follow this thread because it´s so different from everything else. And I´m very impressed by how you keep track of your population and that you are able to put thinks that happens in the game in an historical context. So at least you have one reader: ;) :)

Artfactial

Thanks @Nilla , that is very nice to hear!:)

I'm looking into getting back on track. The savegame is still in a starvation cycle and there is still a lot of writing to do.
Dealing with and writing about large death tolls might not be what I, or anyone, is looking for right now. But giving historical events a more relatable link to the present to learn from has been at the core of this project so it might be just the thing to do. I'm not setting things into stone, but I will give it a shot.
This project still has a lot of potential and I'd love to see the town grow to city size as the many progressions and revolutions of the 18th century take hold.

Nilla

I guess it wouldn´t be hard to find a time period in history with a lot of starvation deaths. But of course, starvation in Banished and starvation in history are two different things. In Banished your rich landowners may as likely starve as your slaves and after the starvation, you will have difficulties to track your people; they will move together randomly.  And besides; the governours´ widow may very well remarry a slave. I solved these things my own way in my history game, even if I had no starvation. Did you check out my attempt to transfer Banished into history? It made a lot of fun because it was so different from everything I usually do in Banished. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=3623.0

After that, I even admire your ability to keep track of your people more than ever. I tried to make notes, giving everyone numbers but after a few generations, it was too much for me.

Artfactial

Keeping track over everyone is a chore yeah, the story that is created through it all is one of the things I enjoy about it!
Inter-class marriages, clan-forming and habits from different families is a lot to keep track of, especially in historical context. Luckily, history is never clear cut and written by those who prosper in their times, so anything kind of goes and is part of the story for me.;)
That said, yes, there will be a lot of mess to clean up after this famine.
It might get a bit grim, which I can understand is not something many would want to read during these times.

I hadn't seen your historical village yet! I've been away from here for a while so a bit of catching up to do.
Will read it in the morning with my coffee, something to look forward to, very curious how you handle things!:)

Artfactial

I've begun to slowly get back into the setting by reading up on specific historical aspects on Connecticut and New England as a whole. Found a, free to download, collection of the Tercentenial anniversary of the state from the 1930's in the federal archives which is proving to be a treasure trove!

For anyone interested in the more personal side of the area and a wonderful look into the daily lives I can recommend the journal of Madam Sarah Knight who traveled from Boston to New York and back in the winter of 1703/1704. She travels close to the exact location of Haynestown and vividly comments on the towns and people she meets. She uses an amusing and sharp writing style and displays the great hardship a traveler had to go through in those times where roads were still little more than semi-cleared paths, this is of course made even more extraordinary as she does large parts of it on her own or with a single guide in a time and place where this was most unusual for a Woman.
A fair warning for viscous racism and belittling, but it does highlight in many ways how liberal and progressive Connecticut was in its handling of laws, slavery and rights. Something I have been trying to show in Haynestown.
I'll include a 1865 copy of the journal with very informative annotations!

I've nearly finished writing up 1695 and 1696, so hope to post those soon. But I'll slow down on further years to read up on the early 1700's.

Nilla

I'm sure, you are more used to historical research than I am but it looks like we both enjoy reading about historical facts to get a foundation for out Banished games. In your case, you'll find first hand information easier than I do. Anyway, it's an interesting and for me a totally new way to approach a Banished game. I will probably not read the added journal even if the old lady seem pretty "cool" but I'm looking forward to read your journal.

Artfactial

Oh I agree that for getting a historical overview and diving into minute details, it is often better to read from historians and archaeologists, even though some have a tenancy to be too dry for my tastes. But I like to combine the two a lot; the historians, with the power of hindsight, give the first hand accounts the context and frame of reference to understand the motivations of those writers.:) I won't say that they're much easier to read, but especially journals and ship-logs thrill me with their anecdotes and impressions.
The historians sketch the outlines which are colored by the people who lived it.:)
Gehe, no problem, I leave her journal here since it fits so nicely in the time and location.
Thanks! I'm getting excited to get back into it.:)

Artfactial

Notes on the Council Meeting of November 15th AD 1695

The council opens the meeting by acknowledging the death of 41 persons. Most notable among them being Haywardo Haynes, who passed away last October.
We mourn the passing of our 11th Gorvernor through whom much of the wisdom of the founders was transferred to younger generations.
Time is taken likewise to mourn the passing of Consuelle Germain through whom many early trade relations and  newcomers have been welcomed into our town, a legacy which will live on through these actions.

Late in February, a woman was found dead outside the city gates, a ghost of a figure, more skin than human. The elderly of the town remarked on her striking resemblance to Analiana Grimberghen.
During Lent the festivities were halted abruptly when Jessiah Porter wandered into town, raving and wailing. He spoke fevered of a cabin in the woods where he had been held against his will by the Grimberghen girl seemingly bewitched by an elderly woman who would only speak through Analia; and then relaying the most foul of intents. He named them witches and Devilworshippers. It was only after the death of the crone that Analiana had left the cabin and Jessiah was able to make his escape. Sadly he was too far gone to be saved and he passed away on 4th of April.
Half a dozen of our rangers went out to the area described by mister Porter and, indeed, found a decrepit, deserted, log cabin sometime east of our town. They burned it down and took possession of some 50 pelts held in a locker there.
The news of the Grimberghen Witches, by many believed to be banished Tanjaney and her sister Analiana, has sparked much unrest among the people. We take solace in the fact that this is the tail end of a vile story.

On Construction:
Last November a new fishing shack was finished by the New Pastures, which assumed practice as soon  river had lost its biting frost.
Just in time for spring a new, neat, little school was completed by the Brickworks, of which Herschelen became the headmaster. Fidelli Grimberghen became the first student to assume tutelage.
On the 26th of June a third school was completed at the New Pasture, headed by Lakenzie Green.
Hilip Green, who succeeded Herschelen in summer, died of the hunger in September and has been succeeded as preacher of the Reformed Congregation of Brakel parish by Verly Fox.

On the burgesses:
The council takes note of 16 newborn this year.
Mister Kristophe Glowbrenn and Madam Princenze Chaarason moved into the Haynes Estate house, a deed which she had claim to through her mother, Mistyn Haynes.
In January, Brean Glowbrenn, who had raised a family on her own, her husband being at sea, finally remarried to Austy Dregg, a merchant who recently moved into town. They now live in the south side house of the Three Pines Parish.
After having been married in January of ‘94, Mister Orio Glowbrenn and  Madam Cammi Haynes divorced in May, when Madam Beverli Le Veelu became pregnant with Farren Glowbrenn. This matter of discontinuing the marriage was settled in a discrete Court of Law at the family home, as to not publicize a private matter which is already a sore for both families.
After the death of Michelsy Lee and their three children, Wintonewall Harrison remarried Madam Cammi Haynes in early august. After Wintonewall passed away later that month, Vicker Myrone moved in with the Widow Cammi, a concern that suits them both.
Mister Talonso Mersey remarried Givannalison Applegate, after Deaanabel Barents’ passing in ‘92.
Mister Llewell Ludlow remarried Bennifred Davonport after Hessi Hartfort passed away in September.
Under normal circumstances the council and community would frown upon these quick matrimonial bonds but, given the times and troubles it is generally accepted that husbandry and family support are of great importance.

Sad news from England reached our shores: late December of last year, Her Majesty Queen Mary II fell ill and died of the Small Pox. Her reign with King William had been a breath of fresh air and progression to the Old Isles. William is now the sole monarch and shall rule England in her stead.
In her honor and to symbolize the power of community and cooperation, the Market Square, besides the Town Commons shall from this date be known as Queen Mary’s Square. 

On the starving:
While in the spring the food flowed through town steadily still, the people of the townships of the Brickworks and New Pastures were generally on the brink of starvation and some had taken to stealing of food from storage barns and the fields.
To Magister Kurtiss Mersey and Reverent Darney Mersey have called for a general charity in the community; to aid those in need but punish them who abuse the trust put into them and take from others. Rev. Merseys explained in his sermons how the punishment for our past reveling, debauchery and wickedness has come in the form of this hunger, like the tide that swept the filth of Port Royale into the sea.
To further ward against these vices, the construction of a pillory at Queen Marty’s Square has been decreed at which those that cross the community shall be punished and displayed to all.
As the farmers from the towns tended to their homes or fell to the starving it was decreed at the beginning of September 1695, to be sending home the 51 Latin school students and postpone the teaching there until a time where the children were not needed out in the fields and at home.
As the hunger tore through the town at this time, it first took the possessed infant Demon Glowbrenn in September, followed by the rest of the family, Waylan, Neva and daughter Kavonte in October. Reverent Errold Germain announced it the Grace of God who has forgiven them and now watches over them in heaven.
Following this, in November the council decreed to a decimation of the livestocks for an influx in meats. Exempted to this are the sheep flocks.

On Trade:
The Albemarle from New Haven docked in again, to aid in our troubles and brough us 1712 Lentil sacks and 813 lettuces in September.

Governor Clarench Germain,
Ruling Council Members , Darney Mersey, Dandreas Chaarason, Aryant Glowbrenn, Jalentin Barents & Cleonidad LeFevre

Nilla

Can you keep track of everyone after the starvation?

Did you made the starvation deliberately to get some historical correctness or did you simply pay too much attention to keeping track of your people?