News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Trouble with forum

Started by a50, February 08, 2020, 12:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

Hi. With the risk of introducing something you don't like (or maybe do)
I post my way of cleaning out ALL mod info in Banished registry entry.
You can have the cmd-file anywhere.

The game will start up with what's in the windata folder alphabetically.

It will create a BanishedExport.reg file in the same folder you have the cmd-file.
If you double-click on the reg-file later you will get back to what you had before
this cmd-file.

Ask if you are unsure.

a50

@kid1293

To show you I don't understand, I can't find any file called "cmd."

kid1293

It is in the packed zip-file. I am not allowed to upload a .cmd extension so I packed it with zip.

kid1293

@a50 - You should run the file as administrator!
Right-click and 'Run as administrator'

a50

Thanks @kid1293 !  I got it to run.  Will see if this helps.

kid1293

It is just a small timesaver. Just click instead of going into Registry Editor.

:)

Vimes

@kid1293 Thanks for sharing that file, most useful.
Do you happen to know if that is what the mod manager does when it asks if you wish to "write the changes to the game"....?
I hadn't realised that the game stores the mods used, and their order, within a registry setting.

kid1293

Mod Manager writes what you have on screen. All mods in the 'windata' folder, order and if they are activated.

Vimes

Thanks, a useful manager indeed, noting that it allows profile creation.

theonlywanderer

@tuggistar

To justify messing with the pagefile, somebody would have to be doing a crazy amount of multitasking, accessing many of the same files repeatedly, opening those documents over and over, swapping between many programs doing the same type of file accessing, and doing this non stop and literally doing so faster then the PC can keep up...

Well....  that's unlikely to happen.   The pagefile never has been and never will be a speed fix for lack of RAM.   RAM is so cheap these days, absolutely no reason to have less than 8gb.  If the PC is too old and can't support more than 4gb, well that's likely a slow PC and won't run well with a lot of games, it's not a RAM issue alone.

If your C drive is a mechanical drive and you want to move your pagefile to secondary drive that's an SSD... well, I have to ask why the SSD isn't the boot drive.

I currently have 32gb RAM with a 4gb manually set pagefile on my 500gb M.2 NVME Boot Drive.   With 32gb, I have no real use of a pagefile, but there are misc programs out there and other misc issues that can pop up not having one at all.   So I set it at static 4gb so that it doesn't waste a lot of space.

I played around in my previous PC trying to get Banished to work better past 1,500 citizens and nothing seemed to work.  I had 64gb of RAM in that machine and made a 32 gigabyte ram drive and put banished on it.   It was running straight off high speed ram and still had issues.    There is something about it that just isn't optimized and it certainly isn't going to come down to adjusting a pagefile.

tuggistar

For theonlywanderer
But on the 755 Socket RAM now it is almost impossible to find that memory chips were on both sides, and sets of 4 pieces of memory is not at all. Buying RAM on aliexpress, ebay and amazon is impossible to see if it will work or not. You don't want to buy a dozen RAM packages.
That's why pagefile is very suitable.

Given that memory plays a secondary importance in games, the main thing for games is video card and processor. Memory only speeds up the process as I understood from the observations.

theonlywanderer

@tuggistar

So let me get this straight...

You're dishing out tech advice to somebody with a 3.5ghz I7 that is based on dealing with your ancient tired old 755 socket PC?   And somehow you think that's valid?

tuggistar

For theonlywanderer
Everyone plays their own games. And for me, the 755 Sokete is enough, with the Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1050TI. The last games I have are: Anno 2205, Sid Meier's Civilization V and Sid Meier's Civilization VI, Tropico 6. These stupid games are about shooters, which are now popular I just do not understand the meaning of them. And don't tell me what's best. I know that the more modern the PC is the better.

a50

Quote from: tuggistar on February 14, 2020, 05:20:48 PM
The last games I have are: Anno 2205, Sid Meier's Civilization V and Sid Meier's Civilization VI, Tropico 6.

Just had to say I like your taste in games.  They go right along with my favorite Civ IV (with mods). :)

theonlywanderer

@tuggistar

First of all, I didn't say anything about what is the best PC or game.

I was questioning why you're dishing out tech advice based on an old out of date PC to somebody with a much newer PC.   Facts are facts, your PC is ancient in the tech world.   I didn't say it couldn't play games or which games, didn't say it was crap, just said it was a tired old PC, which it is.   Even my previous Socket 2011 was getting old and showing it's lack of power when playing higher end games and using the same 1050ti you have.