irrelevant - Gnaw Bone: going for Mountain Men, Isolationist, and One w/ Nature

Started by irrelevant, September 25, 2014, 06:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Life just isn't the same without writing about what I'm doing. So at the risk of boring you all, here's Gnaw Bone.

Gnaw Bone is an actual town in southern Indiana, not far from the actual towns of Floyd's Knobs and French Lick. I always liked the name Gnaw Bone, it made me think about what their lives must have been like, the white settlers who first lived there after the Miamis and the Piankashaws were driven out in the early 1800s. The terrain there is very much Small Mountains, and so I thought a good way to recover from 5000 pop/smallpox burnout would be to get some more achievements. Nope, haven't got them all, and I feel this is a real hole in my Banished experience and knowledge. So I'm trying for Mountain Men, Isolationist, and One With Nature here in Gnaw Bone. This is totally unlike anything I've ever done before, so the results might not be pretty. But most of y'all probly wont notice what happens here, anyway. ;)

So, here's the map and the first couple of months.

Starting out with one wooden house, a fisher, and a school. Next will be a gatherer and a hunter. Then we'll see.

Yeah, I know that gatherer there will suck, and so will the forester and the herbalist. But they will be enough to start.

RedKetchup

good luck with your new town :) and your achievments
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Thanks @RedKetchup . It won't be long before I start another new town using irrelevant crop tweaks and the creamery and your great decorative stuff. What will we be able to grow in the greenhouse? Lettuce and tomatoes would be nice adds!  :P

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on September 25, 2014, 06:43:19 PM
Thanks @RedKetchup . It won't be long before I start another new town using irrelevant crop tweaks and the creamery and your great decorative stuff. What will we be able to grow in the greenhouse? Lettuce and tomatoes would be nice adds!  :P

seedlings ! :)
but ya, would be nice to add some 'plants' and 'trees' inside it :)

irrelevant

Oh, grow your own seedlings! How cool is that?! You're so good. :D

irrelevant

First Autumn is pretty. I've never played on harsh; not counting on getting much done this winter.

Wow, I clicked on the school panel and hit the "work" button by mistake. I instantly had two new laborers. Fortunately, auto-save had run just a minute ago. Gotta be careful! :-X

Jeez, you have to plan each. freaking. log. :o Cutting down trees one at a time which I have never done.

Screen 2 - start of year 2

In year 1 collected 2468 food for 22 pop, made 78 firewood for two houses in year 1; I'm happy with that. Going to have to build another house this year or maybe even two. This will take lots more firewood. Logs are tight.

Plus a tailor soon. Or is the blacksmith more important? Got fewer clothes, but tools are more critical. Not sure yet.

Screen 3 - Early Summer 2 - still doing trees one by one, got the pop moving up; 6 students. Sometime this year, new workers  :D Just started house number 4, to the left between the river and the future market. My goodness, the first few years are fun.

Nilla

Maybe I am a bit boring, always asking for reasons. But as I have said before; I have the impression that you are not doing something random or just because you saw someone do it, this or that way in a video or because it just looks nice for the moment. You have reasons for doing things this or that way. (By the way I try that, too, and it is interesting to hear how someone else is thinking)

1. Why a fisher-hut first? (I always start with a gatherer, 2 categories of food and a higher productivity)

2. Why so few houses? (I want many babies at the beginning, so I build houses for everyone, as soon as possible)

irrelevant

I thought I might rise this morning to questions from @Nilla  ;) Not boring at all, you just make me think about things harder, which is good.

I built the fisher right away because the site was clear, the mats were right there, and all the bannies were right there. I knew the gatherer would take lots longer, and I wanted to get a food source working faster than that.

There are so few houses because there is so little wood. I have to be more careful until my forester gets his woods grown back up. The tree harvesting there already has hurt the gatherer. Now I wish I had the logs back from the herbalist and the second barn.

I feel that food and firewood have to both be under control before building many houses. I don't really want the pop to grow so fast, just more mouths to feed. I want more workers first. I do plan to build at least two houses each year though. 

irrelevant

Start of Year 3

Well, I scraped through year two on bark and sawdust, but I got the crucial bridge built, and the tailor, and another house. Never have done so much micromanagement. By harvesting so many trees there, I screwed up my gatherer to the point where it produced nothing for most of the year. But the hunter really came through, and when my first student graduated, I added her as a fisher. So, while nothing about this town is comfortable at all, nothing is really in crisis either.

This year, I should get a half-dozen new workers. I'll build the forester across the river, and hopefully get the gatherer on this side working at last. Plus at least two houses, maybe three. I should try to build some stone houses, but I don't know if I'll really have the mats for that. Gotta be saving up for the tailor and the Town Hall.

Going to skip chapels and cemeteries in this town, there's just no space. Well, maybe a small cemetery.

If I don't have a TP, and never accept nomads, is it still possible to get disease?

RedKetchup

the answer is yes. depending of your seed :)

irrelevant

irrelevant

Start of Year 4

So the class of '04 started working this year, and they are most welcome. The workforce went from 11 to 18 in a single year. The original forester has started producing, and the new forester is planting. The gatherer also finally kicked into gear, and there is a second hunter under construction. Added houses 5&6, and so now we have our first new family. Among the unpaired, there's  very nice mix of M&F. I could start 5 more families immediately if I wanted, but I'll keep going with the 2 per year for now. Gnaw Bone is not a pop race.

I think I'll build a little cemetery, just for the happiness radius. And next year, a tavern too (saved the space for it there on the market), same reason.

Oh! Maybe I should build some roads? :-[ Been pretty busy up til now tho.

edit: forgot to add that where in Y2 I collected 2974 food, in Y3 I got 4002.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on September 26, 2014, 04:48:26 PM
If I don't have a TP, and never accept nomads, is it still possible to get disease?

I once had a child get the mumps in the Winter of Year 1.  :o

irrelevant

irrelevant

Start of Year 5

Got a market now. That will help. Starting to wonder though, if I will ever have enough stone to build a Town Hall. Can I play this game with no town hall?  :o

This year, 4168 food.

Workforce is on a plateau. This was a choice, slow house construction.