News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

On strike

Started by Nilla, May 16, 2020, 01:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Yesterday I had a weird bug. Our @brads3 has talked about something similar some times but we all know his mod lists. I'm only using the North.

My laborers went on strike, all of them. First I noticed that nothing happened at my building sites but since it's a North game, I let laborers pick deadwood and I thought that I just had marked too much firewood too far away and that they will go there eventually but then I noticed a lot of people at the idling locations. Those with assigned professions still seemed to do their work but when I unassigned them, they too joined the strike. The berry season came and since I play on harsh and not farm, they are pretty dependant on blueberries for food, but no; not one berry was picked that year.

I thought, let them take the consequences and when a few start to starve, they will get their senses and go back to work. But it didn't go that far. As suddenly as the strike started, it was over. Building sites were cleared, deadwood picked, and the next year also a lot of blueberries.

Can anyone explain this? The strike laster about a year.

brads3

hi,NILLA. i found it can be caused by churches being crowded when using the happiness system of DS.i'd assume it can be similar with the North. in my case,disabling the church til the next was built solved the issue.

Nilla

It was not the reason, I never had any priest assigned.

CookieBarrel

@Nilla
A discussion of this starts at Reply #835
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2123.msg65651#msg65651

I talk about children listed in the labor field of the UI and the strike.
But, we came to the conclusion that it was coming from vanilla.

This I can confirm since it has happened in other starts with out the North.
Most of the time it's a short duration that we (the players) don't notice it or
blame it on other conditions such as .. "you have to many jobs allocated".
However, Bannished does seem to self correct in most cases.

Since, the North pushes the player for Survivability I think this became more noticeable.

Whops, the above is a bit confusing. :-[
Forget about the children. You really don't want to know about that.;)

Anyways, I believe the worker strike is manifest by changing bannies jobs frequently.

Nilla

Oh yes, I remember that post now. I didn't notice any children listed as labourers, but I also didn't look for it. And I didn't really change professions oft. On good years I might send a few out in the woods to pick berries but I had plenty of labourers in this game anyway. Didn't play yesterday but I will see if it returns. As I said in that thread, these weird bugs seem to be connected to certain maps so I almost expect it to return-

CookieBarrel

(change professions) Yeah, I didn't think it would be, just a shot in the air.

From that previous game, I was playing in a way I normally don't and was looking at that for a cause and effect. The child thing is a separate issue that just happened at the same time of the strike.

Anyways, last Friday, while playing on a RKEC map, I experienced another strike. Except this time I was playing the way I normally do. None of this switching jobs or ejecting bannies to new or upgrading homes. This still leave the question of why?

Your suggestion of a bad map might be a cause. This is testable. Fires on bad maps will have the bannies running for the hills. So, using the earlier mentioned RKEC map, I let the game run until a fire started. One business and two houses later, the fire was put out with no abnormalities. Although the test was negative a bad map is still plausible.

Question, How long into your game session did the strike take place?

Nilla

It was in year 19. I even made a  screenshot, it was after I unassigned a lot of professions to see if idling was connected to person or profession. And it was profession. Those who worked normally before as blacksmiths, tailors, shepherds.......... also started to strike as laborers and when I later assigned the professions, they worked again.

smurphys7

Were you using only the latest "The North" mod?  Can you upload the save?  I'd love to poke around and see if I can break up the strike.

Nilla

Yes it was the latest version and the strike broke by itself after about one year. Stupid enough I made no save. I haven't played for a couple of days but when I continue and the strike reappears, I will make one. As I said, my guess is that it will. My experience is that if there once a bug in a game, it's there to stay. It would be great if you would look into it as well @smurphys7 .

CookieBarrel

@Nilla
I might have stumbled onto something.
Pictured below are 50 hide coats being jacked by an evil spirit. The medicine man did his thing
an justice was served. Unfortunately the hide coats were a total lost.

In reviewing my screenshots, I noticed the floating coats and went back into game to see what was up.
When checking the laborers to give my displeasure, I was brought to a child then followed by laborers taking a siesta.
Started a test by placing all bannies at work stations saved & reloaded. Once loaded I selected some tree to be cut, then
assigned laborers. A few hands of poker a couple of shots of tequila the laborers decided to get some munches.
Next I repeated the steps with the addition of deleting the coats by using the red flatten tool.
After reloading, the laborers returned to normal.

My latest theory is items dropped by Bannies or buildings to unnavigable places is the catalyst for the strikes.
Statement:
   For a bad bannie drop its just a one off affair. Bad drops From a building can cause strikes repeatedly threw out the game.
   The game handles object drop instances superbly which is why the strikes are rare.
Assumption:
   Game dropped instances are cleared/ cleansed during game at intervals just like the crop loss from temperature at winter start.
Observations:
   Regardless of reassignments and/ or reloading the laborers go back to normal after time.
   A one time occurrence during a game.
   Multiple occurrences during a game.

Conclusion:
   If symptoms appear check buildings to assure clearance for item drops and check for stray objects. This isn't
   caused by a bad map seed and the game is not a total lost. I believe It is fixable.

RedKetchup

the graphic is made like that because it was intended it appear just below the ropes outside the tailor buildings. was planned to look like they were hanhing on the ropes
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Caused by a "bad drop" or not, I still think it´s basically a bugged map. Bannis drop stuff all the time, if some drops are bad, why? Bugged map is the easiest answer.

CookieBarrel

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 16, 2020, 11:39:40 AM
the graphic is made like that because it was intended it appear just below the ropes outside the tailor buildings. was planned to look like they were hanhing on the ropes
It is not easy to see but the coats are twice the highth of kid small tailor rack. The coat bottoms are about ground level 1.

Quote from: Nilla on October 17, 2020, 05:18:57 AM
Bannis drop stuff all the time, if some drops are bad, why?
Good question since it is my silly therory I'll have to see if I can reproduce it.

Does anyone know a quicker way to idintify a bad map seed faster than waiting for a fire?