Main Menu

BETA of Cotton and Cotton Tunics

Started by slink, October 29, 2014, 04:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Mahnogard

I saw that after I posted. When it first started growing, it looked kinda like lettuce and after that I didn't pay attention till now. (Nomads arrived, I got distracted.) I also noticed the conflict warning, of course.

The model looks really nice, too, so I apologize for not paying more attention. :) I sort of ignored it until it was time to make coats. Now our resident vegans can have an option that doesn't include a whole new production chain. That's what I love the most about this (aside from it being a new crop and I love new crops) - it works with what's already there so it doesn't add more than someone may want to add just to have this additional clothing option.

salamander

I think maybe I just don't get the difference between models and textures and all that other modeling mumbo jumbo.  I had assumed it would look like lettuce, just function as cotton.

This is very nice.

bubbamcgee

Nice slink!   :)  Thanks for this new option.  I'll be using this in some of my older towns that don't use the 1620 mod. 

slink

Models, also known as meshes, are like the wire frame in a toy animal, or that a hedge is trained on.  Textures, also known as skins, are what is on the outside of the wire frame.  Think of it as the plush with the beady little eyes sewn on.

Meshes are 3-dimensional and can be edited in Blender or 3ds MAX.  Textures are 2-dimensional and can be edited in GIMP.  The connection between the two is a little complicated, but the point here is that the plant models I am using use half-a-dozen or more textures.  They are in TIF format, which the game apparently doesn't recognize.  Rather than convert them and make all of the files that support them, for six textures, I used the texture that already existed for the lettuce and connected that six times.  The plants in the game are so small that people probably wouldn't be able to see the detailed graphics from the original six textures anyway.

salamander

Thanks, things make a little more sense now.  Sometime a few weeks ago, I installed Blender and played with it a little, watched so many tutorial videos we got charged extra that month by our ISP, but never could really do anything with it.  For whatever reason, the whole modeling thing has a very steep learning curve for me -- maybe because I wasn't thinking about the meshes and textures in the right way.

At any rate, your explanation also makes me realize that the cotton plants are a more impressive amount of work than I originally thought.  Thanks again -- I'm going to add this mod to my current game as soon as I have a chance.

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on October 29, 2014, 07:35:01 PM
Sometime a few weeks ago, I installed Blender and played with it a little, watched so many tutorial videos we got charged extra that month by our ISP, but never could really do anything with it.  For whatever reason, the whole modeling thing has a very steep learning curve for me -- maybe because I wasn't thinking about the meshes and textures in the right way.

Indeed! Same thing here. I deeply admire those who can deal with creating the graphics necessary for a new building. Thank you to all of you who are doing the work.

slink

Or at least edit an existing model to fit the scale of the game.   ;)

RedKetchup

creating a new building is fun, and still easy. you create box and box and boxes over and again and to define how big they are 1x1 with 0,1 thick and you make a building like exactly you deal with Lego :) everyone played with Lego when they were young right ? it is the same, but it s on a screen and you use the mouse :)

and you go you put those 1x1 on top and side each others like legos :)

irrelevant

I never played with Legos; that came after I was building Revell models. But I had Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, American Bricks, and Kenner Girder and Panel, and Bridge and Turnpikes!

RedKetchup

legos that old, but right, i didnt had lego when i was young. in fact, when they launched that, there was 2 company making the same thing, and i had the other one /shrug so when the other company disappeared and Lego won .... i ended with all my blocks non compatible with the new legos one /cry.

and i grown up too.....

ROFL

irrelevant

RedKetchup

oh i stayed a big child adult ^^ this is why i play game all day long hehe

irrelevant

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 30, 2014, 08:45:56 AM
Or at least edit an existing model to fit the scale of the game.   ;)

Of course--but thank you none the less.

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 30, 2014, 08:03:10 PM
creating a new building is fun, and still easy. you create box and box and boxes over and again and to define how big they are 1x1 with 0,1 thick and you make a building like exactly you deal with Lego :) everyone played with Lego when they were young right ? it is the same, but it s on a screen and you use the mouse :)

and you go you put those 1x1 on top and side each others like legos :)

Easy for you, not so easy for many of us. We have a guy at our model RR club who can build switches (the things that allow a train to move from one track to another) in his sleep and they are both engineering and artistic marvels, but he has a hard time teaching those of us more "challenged" because it comes so naturally to him.