News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Unable to play with mods since the beta update

Started by Lyandreth, October 31, 2015, 08:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyandreth

OK, so... Steam has upgraded my version of Banished to the new 1.0.5 beta (due to the settings I have on there). Now I can ONLY run Banished in vanilla mode - every time I try to enable any mod, whether it be just a small one such as more wood, I get a fatal error. Anyone else having problems? :(

Bobbi

Yup, same thing. I must have had it set so that it automatically updated.

RedKetchup

yeah, or you need to go back to official normal version (non-beta) and play with your cities....

or apply a little .pkm that you will load and enable at the top of your list of mods ... but this patch cannot help to load any old saves, only future new cities
(doesnt work with saves)

you will find Here or Here, the CCBetaFix, specially made by BlackLiquid Team, creators of the awesome Colonial Charter Mod :)

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

A Nonny Moose

For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would set up an automatic update that allows Beta software to be loaded onto their system.  This kind of thing requires informed consent.

I loaded Ubuntu 15.10 onto my production partition this week and lo and behold, no graphics.  I then switched to my backup partition 13.10 which was upgraded by the distro to 14.04 LTS which handles my hardware just fine with a pre-released driver for my old, obsolete RS780 chip set.  It always pays to have a prepared position to which one can make a rearward advance.

In the throes of doing all this, Steam got lost, and I am very happy that I bought the game from GOG.  I did lose Cities:Skylines, which never ran on my gear, so I don't miss it at all. 

I have two years or so before I have to solve the hardware problem, either by purchasing a new GPU or a whole new box of tricks.  Since Moore's Conjecture is in full swing in the market, I am going to sit tight for as long as possible on this.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Bobbi

I did not realize I had it set to accept betas. I do not think there is any way to go back to non beta.

RedKetchup

why not ? just uncheck the beta .... steam will do everything :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bobbi

OH wow that seemed to work, looks like its rolling back.  ;D You the best, Red

Lyandreth

Like Bobbi, I hadn't realised that I'd set Steam to auto beta. Anyway, with the advice here, it's now working again. Thanks all.  :D

Pangaea

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 31, 2015, 10:47:11 AM
For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would set up an automatic update that allows Beta software to be loaded onto their system.  This kind of thing requires informed consent.

I loaded Ubuntu 15.10 onto my production partition this week and lo and behold, no graphics.  I then switched to my backup partition 13.10 which was upgraded by the distro to 14.04 LTS which handles my hardware just fine with a pre-released driver for my old, obsolete RS780 chip set.  It always pays to have a prepared position to which one can make a rearward advance.

In the throes of doing all this, Steam got lost, and I am very happy that I bought the game from GOG.  I did lose Cities:Skylines, which never ran on my gear, so I don't miss it at all. 

I have two years or so before I have to solve the hardware problem, either by purchasing a new GPU or a whole new box of tricks.  Since Moore's Conjecture is in full swing in the market, I am going to sit tight for as long as possible on this.

I don't understand why anyone would use steam, but I also realise I'm "out of touch" with youths these days. "In a land far away, in a long-forgotten past, there was a people who cared about privacy and consumer rights."

Okay, this expands a bit wider to non-steam issues too, like the utter madness of TTIP and similar "agreements". The hollowing out of democracy is sad :(

Paeng

Quote from: Pangaea on November 01, 2015, 11:39:02 AMI don't understand why anyone would use steam, but I also realise I'm "out of touch"

Tehehe... yeah, I read along about "Steam Problems"... and I feel "old"... then again, I feel gleeful for not having any of these "problems"...  ;)

Quotethe utter madness of TTIP and similar "agreements". The hollowing out of democracy is sad :(

Indeed... I always wonder who it is that "agrees" to such things - last month we had a demo here in Berlin, with about 200.000 people taking to the streets... the biggest demo in 10 years.

So what do the friggin' politicians do? They decide that further TTip negotiations will be done "in secret"... democracy, my foot!  >:(

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

A Nonny Moose

How delightful.  More privacy advocates like me.  I don't use Steam, Origin, nor any other site/outfit that gets permission to snoop on my system with the exception of my Linux distributor and I control them assiduously.  Nothing happens on this machine unless I am at the controls.

I foolishly, in a moment of madness, I signed up for C:S on Steam when it came out, but my recent contretemps with Ubuntu 15.10 lost it in the shuffle.  It will remain lost.  I really don't need C:S that badly.  I've backed out to 14.04 LTS and will probably stay here until 2017 or even longer.  The deciding factor will be the death of some irreplaceable component like the CPU.  In 2017, BTW, I will be 80, and who knows if I'll even be around.

rkelly17

Far be it from me to advocate for Steam or any other corporate entity. I first got Steam because I wanted to play Civ 5 and that was the only option. I wasn't very happy with Firaxis' decision to force Steam, but I've never really had much problem with it. Now I can also share game collections with my grandson and get him into Banished (He's recently discovered SimCity 4 and is going nuts with it). I might not have found out about Banished otherwise, so . . . . Anyway, I knowingly signed up for auto-betas in Banished way back with version 1.0.2 or some such and have been happy with that decision. Yesterday I fired up 1.0.5 and played with my usual selection of mods--including almost all of @RedKetchup's work--all of which were downloaded before the latest beta update. Everything worked like a charm, except for one mistake that was entirely operator error. Since part of the point of 1.0.5 is to prepare for the linux version I am willing to do my part to get A Nonny Moose a linux-native version so he can play without an emulator.

A Nonny Moose

Thank you, @rkelly17.  It is good to see that some people who can still tolerate Microshaft care about other operating systems.

slink

I simply won't play any game that requires that I log into an online server, even momentarily (and by that I mean for a moment, not in a moment).  I don't want to invest time in learning any game that I can't play if the world loses connectivity, or even just me.

A Nonny Moose

There are fewer and fewer good things to say about STEAM.  It seems they have bungled something again.  I sympathize.

However, I got my version from GOG.com, and have no such DRM nonsense.