News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

UI gripe

Started by irrelevant, June 08, 2014, 07:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

From my point of view, everything not on my computer is in the cloud.

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: slink on October 23, 2014, 09:44:51 AM
I, on the other hand, have trust problems along with serious security doubts about "the cloud".  With one or two exceptions, everything I have in computer format is on my local storage, the exceptions being my photo-album on imgur and a couple of transmitted files on Dropbox.

I am an old security hand, and I have real problems trusting anything I can't control.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

slink

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 23, 2014, 02:14:07 PM
I, on the other hand, have trust problems along with serious security doubts about "the cloud".  With one or two exceptions, everything I have in computer format is on my local storage, the exceptions being my photo-album on imgur and a couple of transmitted files on Dropbox.

I am an old security hand, and I have real problems trusting anything I can't control.

I agree with you.   ;)

My point is that pictures stored online, whether on a primary server or on a backup server, are in the cloud from my point of view.

solarscreen

The entire World of Banished forum is in the cloud. :) "Cloud" is such a misused and misunderstood word these days.

I have a business account from a well known hosting company and worldofbanished.com is just one of several domains and sites on it. 

There is plenty of space available to post your graphics here, but there is no requirement to do so.

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Pangaea

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 23, 2014, 02:14:07 PM

I think that is a sensible standpoint. There have been too many breakins and leaks to trust it, which incidentally was my stand too, before all these recent leaks. That said I do still have some files on dropbox, which I also have in at least two copies locally.

Must admit I'm scratching my head pretty badly at the stuff people are "sharing". Here in Norway there have been heavy leaks of nude pictures of, basically, children; girls 13-16 or thereabouts (and probably many older too, but that was the media's focus). Why the hell would you even take loads of nude pictures of yourself, and particularly, why store them in such a place?

Yes, yes, the blame is on the 'hackers' that got the pictures, yadda yadda yadda, but bloody hell, some common sense and being careful never hurt anybody. Even more pertinent on Hollywood stars and such. In my mind, the risks of getting nude pictures of yourself spread all over the place is way too big, so why do it? Aren't enough people rubbing your ego, so you need to send that stuff all over the place too? Boggles the mind, it really does. A comment on modern society, perhaps. Sigh.

Coug_r

Quote from: Pangaea on October 24, 2014, 06:09:52 AM
Why the hell would you even take loads of nude pictures of yourself, and particularly, why store them in such a place?

You can thank some phone manufacturers for this (especially the fruity one). The default settings on iphones will send all files stored on the device - including pictures taken with the said phone - on the cloud of the Apple account linked to this phone. When a leak happens, usually most people don't even know the pictures were stored anywhere else than on their phone.

A Nonny Moose

The idiots don't understand the technology they so blithely use.  Everything on the Internet is broadcast (it is a datagram system) and can be intercepted at many points.  This certainly makes it easy for outfits with lots of funding (NSA, CSIS - Hi guys) and for well funded hackers.  All it really takes is a really smart kid in his bedroom and some quasi-legal software to monitor his Internet connections.

Those of us who were around as these systems (ARPAnet, bitnet, etc) came on line probably took the time to actually read the RFCs.  I did.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

mariesalias

Quote from: Coug_r on October 24, 2014, 06:25:11 AM
You can thank some phone manufacturers for this (especially the fruity one). The default settings on iphones will send all files stored on the device - including pictures taken with the said phone - on the cloud of the Apple account linked to this phone. When a leak happens, usually most people don't even know the pictures were stored anywhere else than on their phone.

I didn't realize this. The photos on my phone are pretty much, my son and nephew, scenery, and my son's artwork but if I wanted them accessible to the internet, I would have uploaded them somewhere. Once you transfer pictures off your phone, do they stay on the cloud or are they removed?

Coug_r

Quote from: mariesalias on October 30, 2014, 11:20:54 PM
I didn't realize this. The photos on my phone are pretty much, my son and nephew, scenery, and my son's artwork but if I wanted them accessible to the internet, I would have uploaded them somewhere. Once you transfer pictures off your phone, do they stay on the cloud or are they removed?

Basically, once an information is shared online, you can assume that it will always be stored somewhere. numerical storage does not cost much anymore and information is worth a lot.

You can disable the cloud for specific items in settings/Icloud. I think they disabled most options in the last IOS because of the earlier leaks, but I'm not sure.

mariesalias

Quote from: Coug_r on October 31, 2014, 01:15:41 AM
Basically, once an information is shared online, you can assume that it will always be stored somewhere. numerical storage does not cost much anymore and information is worth a lot.

You can disable the cloud for specific items in settings/Icloud. I think they disabled most options in the last IOS because of the earlier leaks, but I'm not sure.

I talked with my husband about this and he said our phones were never enabled for it. He does not trust cloud space and I don't understand it well enough to mess with it. Thanks for the information. :)