News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Wandering Children

Started by A Nonny Moose, August 06, 2014, 01:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

In my last village, after I constructed a bridge over the river and established a hunter's cabin across on the island, one of my children wandered off into the woods on the island and eventually starved to death.

Later on, more children got a case of wanderlust.  Anyone else seen this?
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

RedKetchup

yeah it happends. their parents should better keep an eye on their children :S
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

canis39

I haven't seen a starvation death of anyone in a while, but the children in my villages are all over the place! Visiting farms, wandering the forest, crossing bridges. They're very independent! :)

irrelevant

I never pay any attention to children.  ;D

The only time I ever notice them is when they are playing inside the hospital during an epidemic. :o >:(

nmid

Haha, irrelevant.
How true.. Kids always seem to be getting into places you don't want them to go to.

Bobbi

A Nonny, the children do wander to the farthest and most annoying places. The first and only time I had deaths of cold and hunger, however, were in a village that I had built no homes in. I built one of those communal houses. By the time it was built, it was like late summer I think. In the meanwhile, three children wandered to the other side of the map and died trying to get home.

A Nonny Moose

I'd never had that before.  The little devils get lost in the woods and generally freeze or starve. 

It would be a good thing if there were a wicked witch to shoo them out of the forest.  Maybe we need a mod to produce the whirling hut of Baba Yaga.

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on August 07, 2014, 11:45:32 AM
I'd never had that before.  The little devils get lost in the woods and generally freeze or starve. 

It would be a good thing if there were a wicked witch to shoo them out of the forest.  Maybe we need a mod to produce the whirling hut of Baba Yaga.

Isn't that what the Grimm Bros. and HC Anderson were aiming for?  ;D

Seriously, my 12 year old grandson was reading some of the "originals" the other day and said, "Granddad, I'm pretty sure these stories aren't for kids. What was Walt Disney thinking?"

A Nonny Moose

"Children's" stories are general fables designed to help parent acculturate their kids.  Kids need direction and little stories with often bad results are good for them.  Every culture has them, and they are usually different.

It is a way to teach kids the moral standards of their group.  Hansel und Gretel is, for example, an example of poor parenting and the result of putting kids out of the family circle.  I really prefer gentler lessons, like Aesop's fables, which are more philosopho-ethical.

Pelojian

I've never had children get stuck wandering where they shouldn't.

however one time i assigned an area to be stripped of resources and there was a tiny bit in the selection across a river with no bridge. somehow a citizen manages to get over there, cut down some trees and mine some stone and then because lol pathing can't cross the river and starved to death.

slink

Laborers clearing resources can cross water without a bridge, but then cannot return when their assignment changes.  I posted a screenshot and the save on the SRS site, back in April.

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/forum/discussion/3298/laborers-do-cross-streams#Item_7

RedKetchup

you need to be very careful near water when you ask some cutting (wood/stone/iron/all). always verify with cancel tool if you didnt selected anything the other side of a creek/river
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on August 13, 2014, 05:40:19 AM
Laborers clearing resources can cross water without a bridge, but then cannot return when their assignment changes.  I posted a screenshot and the save on the SRS site, back in April.

I've had the same experience.