News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Very slow and steady wins the race.

Started by A Nonny Moose, February 07, 2015, 01:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

I finally have got a viable village and it is heading towards a population of 300.  It is starting to look self-sustaining as an agricultural marvel.  I've got about 50 farm fields and orchards, and a steady supply of nearly everything, including trade goods.

Doesn't seem like much, but you ought to try doing this on Ubuntu/wine.  The 10x system runs like 1x on a windows box.  it is very slow.  I've had this village running for something like 24+ machine hours to get it to here.  I still haven't solved why it is so damned slow when running under wine.  I don't have this problem with other programs.

The only obvious glitch is with the multitasking, which wine seems to dislike intensely.  Clearly a dispatcher related problem.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

irrelevant

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: irrelevant on February 07, 2015, 02:23:24 PM
Screenies! :D
eventually... OK, now:

Five camera shots from on high

One remote herbalist

The second fisher shack

Farming group with second settlement

Beastholds

Main settlement aerial view

Statistics

Production

A Nonny Moose

I think I've finally sorted this out a little more.  I do not accept more than 10 nomads at a time, ever.  The game is now offering them in crowds, and I turn them down.  The resource dearth that would result from accepting 25 nomads in a tight situation would kill the town by either starvation or freezing.  The simulation is too slow to handle the demands at the point i am at now, with a fluctuating population between 300 and 400.  I continue to create satellite settlements and things are going well except for the couple of years when I had what looks like crop failures all around.  Must have been a drought, because everything failed uniformly.

Just opened two more mines (iron, coal) as the originals are getting depleted.  Forced a shift of miners by cutting down the number of workers allowed at the ones that are depleting.  This ought to be interesting since the new mines are some distance from the rest of the townlets, and a new townlet is being built at the mine site.  A market and some houses have nearly all completed there, but I've had a cycle of starvation which seems to be ending with the addition of something like 12 new crop fields.

Is it worth trying crop rotation?  I assume the designation has to happen at harvest time for the next year.

The other thing I am thinking of trying is a second trading post some distance away from the other on the river near one of the new townlets.  Not quite sure what to do about the inventory, but I think a general trader will do for openers.  Suggestions?

Nilla

Crop rotation has no effect on the harvest. There were rumors at the beginning, that you had to rotate the crops, but they aren't true.

If you have problems getting everything harvested on your fields, I would rather say that the farmers live too far away and the barns/markets are too far away, too. Look at @irrelevant´s farming settlements. We have all learned a lot from his way to build. (OK you don't need quite so many barns, as he builds, but you could use a few more). Another helpful thing could be to micromanage the fields: Some crops (beans for example) are harvested early. If one field is done, close it and move the farmers to a field nearby.

When I start to trade I use to sell firewood, I try to have at least one more woodcutter than I need, venison and other meat, if you have pastures and maybe some clothing. As soon as I have a surplus of fruit (from orchards or import) I start an ale-production.

A Nonny Moose

Point taken about distance travelled by the farmers.  Notice that I have got townlets scattered about, but I can easily add more.  They just have to be within the scope of a market.  I think I have enough barns because I have seven markets at the moment.  The barns are mostly empty.

I'll have to use the path tool more to ascertain where things should be.

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on February 11, 2015, 10:42:47 AM
The other thing I am thinking of trying is a second trading post some distance away from the other on the river near one of the new townlets.  Not quite sure what to do about the inventory, but I think a general trader will do for openers.  Suggestions?

Depends on what you want to do with it. In the early part  of the game I tend to trade firewood for seeds and livestock, then switch to trading ale for stone and iron (and maybe logs). After a bad experience with citizens burning all my coal and leaving none for blacksmiths to make steel tools, I don't bother much with coal anymore--except  for buying a small amount for @RedKetchup's monastery to produce books. To move into this phase I plant enough orchards of the same fruit to employ 6 farmer/orchardists and keep a tavern in production, then suck all the ale into a TP. You can order from the appropriate merchants to make sure they bring what you need, but that can result in an over-supply in some cases. If I have enough TPs (or use the Specialized TP mod) I can often avoid quarries and mines altogether. As the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario, for those of you not lucky enough to live here) knows, you can make a lot of profit from booze.

With ale in stock you can also trade for food or other raw materials if you have a deficit in production. Some people don't grow their fruit, but import fruit and export ale. I prefer to grow my own, but you may not.

Bobbi

Pennsylvania has a "State Store" which is the only place you can buy alcohol. Probably same thing  ;D

A Nonny Moose

This town has a TP that snatches up all ale production without exception.  Very nice trade ratio, and I have a fair sprinkling of orchards.

Been working on a new townlet and have now reached around 500 population.  The trick is a no immigration policy.  The last offering of nomads would have killed the town.

Just went through a die-off due to old age cycle.  No ill effects.

rkelly17

Quote from: Bobbi on February 13, 2015, 04:01:31 PM
Pennsylvania has a "State Store" which is the only place you can buy alcohol. Probably same thing  ;D

Exactly. I don't mind buying booze from the province, who makes all the profits and uses them in the budget. Having to buy beer from the "Beer Store" which is owned as a monopoly by the big (now foreign) breweries is another matter.  >:(

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: rkelly17 on February 15, 2015, 07:20:15 AM
<snip>

Exactly. I don't mind buying booze from the province, who makes all the profits and uses them in the budget. Having to buy beer from the "Beer Store" which is owned as a monopoly by the big (now foreign) breweries is another matter.  >:(

Funny thing.  I've pretty much stopped drinking beer since the foreign invasion.  But it may just be that I prefer wine instead.  I have to take it easy because I am diabetic.

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on February 15, 2015, 09:19:08 AM
Funny thing.  I've pretty much stopped drinking beer since the foreign invasion.  But it may just be that I prefer wine instead.  I have to take it easy because I am diabetic.

Yeah, I've got the type 2 blues myself, so the beer drinking is way, way down. When I do indulge I go for locally brewed Waterloo Dark. It reminds me of student days in Germany--one of the benefits of living in the home of the world's second-largest Oktoberfest.

A Nonny Moose

We who live in Southwestern Ontario have the best of the province, I think.  I spent a couple of years working at U of W in the MFCF, and it was enlightening to say the least.  When I retired, I moved into this area.