News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

DS Blast Furnace & Industry Mining Advanced - v1.2 (updated 22May2017)

Started by Discrepancy, May 15, 2017, 03:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Yes, a more efficient use of ore using lime sounds like a good idea. Would even somehow simulate this real effect you mentioned and would also make the furnace more attractive to build besides a faster production. I'm looking forward to how @Discrepancy decides and what he will come up with.  :)

Discrepancy

;) haha, so am I.
I do like the idea of a more efficient recipe for iron processing. I have liked all the suggestions and discussion so far @Nilla & @Tom Sawyer and it is helping me, as I also was not sure if it would be unnecessarily complicated.

But, just to let everyone know, I am taking a few days break to dive into playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 5hrs in and I'm loving it, incredible story. I'd forgotten what it was like to play a game that is so story driven.
There are a lot of things to give me ideas for Banished too!

Tom Sawyer

Ha! Yesterday I got an ad on youtube about the release and thought.. oh that will make DS vanish again, since we talked about this game one year ago. Have fun with it but don't get lost!^^ I hope this game will get the success it deserves. Unfortunately it's beyond the capabilities of my old guy here. He is just smirking at me and wants to say "forget it". ;D

Hawk

[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Discrepancy

@Hawk , yes I have. But I like the way the saving is anyway. It makes you think and plan, instead of going straight into a fight or starting another quest you know you aren't going to finish/win, you instead need to prioritize and take care, and even more important and fun is finding different ways to do things.  A lot of players are complaining about the saving mechanics, but I don't really find it that bad. Plenty of other games have the same or similar save format anyway. It is easy enough to get back to your bed and save the game, or follow a story along to get to a 'checkpoint' where it saves automatically. I think the game has a lot of players who just don't read anything first about the game, or in the game (it has an awesome in game codex/wiki which is also a history book of the middle ages).
I'm not going to mod it at all... yet or ever, not sure. But there is so much to see and do anyway I don't see a need, I want to follow the game along as intended.
There are issues with a few bugs, but I haven't had anything serious. My computer does struggle. I have my game display settings on high (there is very high and ultra above it) and I'm only getting 30-40 FPS when walking around countryside and only 15-25 FPS when I'm in some towns/villages/castles. Some interiors are even worse only managing 10-15 FPS - but so much detail!
my comp specs are: AMD FX6300-six-core 3.5Ghz processor / 16gb ddr3 RAM / AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB / the game is on a SSD.

Maldrick

Quote from: Discrepancy on February 14, 2018, 10:15:08 PM
But, just to let everyone know, I am taking a few days break to dive into playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 5hrs in and I'm loving it, incredible story. I'd forgotten what it was like to play a game that is so story driven.
There are a lot of things to give me ideas for Banished too!

That's where I've been, also.  Great game so far!  A true RPG with a focus on historical accuracy is refreshing. I like fantasy, too, but I'm a history nut and have been looking forward to this for a couple of years.  Great fun so far.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Discrepancy

Things are still coming along with this mod, it is currently my main work in progress.

I'm getting to the stage of finalizing most things and making sure all the production numbers work in the north.

I have expanded the mod considerably (now well over 50mb), it now encompasses most things that are needed to create an advanced mining industry, most buildings are included that allow the mines to operate, otherwise they are available in the North mod.

I still have a few things to get worked out, then it will need to be looked over by @Tom Sawyer .

Release still unknown - within the next month ;) hopefully.

some test screenshots:

galensgranny

I really like the look of those buildings.  :) I have been using the matching storage building and materials market, so look forward to more buildings in this set.

Hawk

[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Discrepancy

@Hawk , this is firstly only going to be released for the North in the way I have envisioned it. Eventually I will add these buildings to the other Blast Furnace mod, but it will not be what this mod is.

The thing with the North is it has made changes to most of the vanilla production numbers which means it is worthwhile to add most of what this mod does.

Mines can either be built with Oil Lamps, and will cost Lumber + Oil/Tallow to operate, or they will be built with Iron Fittings and cost Lumber + Candles to operate. Vanilla/CC Banished would not make this method useful and be incredibly expensive.
The addition of Lime (material), it is an optional additive to iron making, as well as construction (mortar/render), though it would work in vanilla, its meaning would get lost I think.

So far I have put together a pretty long (10+ pages) booklet that will be released with the mod to explain all the changes and what it adds.
Put shortly, it has been a headache so far to try and get this all to work cohesively with The North, it will require a lot more work to then get it working for vanilla - lol, not something I want to think about yet.

I leave you with my introduction and history of the mod and where it is going for release:

The idea started with being able to have a large, iron mining industry in The North, one that could be utilised for tool making as well as offering a stable trade economy during the winters.
It was conceived first, as nothing but the blast furnace and a coke oven to fuel it. But soon the original idea expanded, as early industry mines were added, along with railway carts and decorations.

At that moment, I realised the mod was already getting bigger than it could be, or bigger than I could manage. But, at what moment does the industry stop, and when is it too big? More on that later.

Just prior to original release, I added a few more buildings that would give the industry an image; Thudd Surrel and family. A large industry had flourished in the family, they had their own industry based market, storage, variant of the blast furnace, and a large iron ore & coal mine. The family buildings are bright and bold with their own similar styles.
The mod was released in two versions: one focused towards playing with The North, and the other playing vanilla banished or with most other mods.
At heart though, the mod is tilted in the direction of the North.

Updates were made to the mod, which eventually added the Thudd Surrel & family Merchant to the vanilla based mod. With its own trading boats it can handle the purchase of most goods for the town, finding steady outside trade customers to purchase the industry produced iron and coke.
For its full potential though, it needed to get to the North.

This brings us to this new version, and in answer to: when is it too big? the answer is, not yet.

Industry has risen sharply. This mod adds a lot of new buildings, resources and small industries that are required to make the larger, now expanded iron and metallurgical industry operate.

Most of what is in this version, is in it because with the North it seemed logical, and also doable; with production and cost numbers. A lot of credit has got to go to Tom Sawyer, who has made a mod that balances and polishes the original game in a way I wish it were originally. This has made making this mod extremely rewarding, but also quite frustrating.

Lime (material) has been added, it is used in many production and construction tasks. Rather than introduce a newly mined lime-stone, normal stone is instead crushed and heated, producing lime. Another oven has been added to the modular set, as well as a single lime kiln option is available.

Lumber, Iron Fittings, Candles, Oil Lamps, Seed/Linseed/Fish Oils, Tallow, Beeswax, the mod adds a range of side industry buildings to produce most of the goods needed to operate.
Others are available in The North or extras available from the recommended mods.

Thudd Surrel & family now have a Pottery kiln to make: bricks, roof tiles, pottery & oil lamps. A large industry lumber-mill to process logs into lumber.
A Blacksmith supplies tools, iron fittings and wagon parts. The Press Shed can slowly make oils and render meats for tallow. A Candle-maker will make candles from tallow or beeswax.

Also the the introduction of the mining and smelting of silver and gold ores, and a finery to produce ingots for trade, and much more.

Nilla

I´m really looking forward on this one! Sounds to be very much to my liking. :)

elemental

I look forward to seeing your Blast Furnace/industry mod expanded with these new buildings.  :)

It looks like you have a lumber mill here that is on a bit of an angle. It would be good to have your big trade port available to build on an angle too. Diagonal river sections are fairly useless and I can't think of any mods with ports or other water buildings that are on an angle.

Discrepancy

Believe it or not, this is actually going to be a silver mine, there is still more to add to the model (an external pulley system and decorations).
I'm just playing around with adding wind effects in blender to create a better flag. (I wish we could have them really moving like this in the game)
It is funny though, I've spent more time just adding the cloth, wind and making the flag than I did to make the building and textures below it:

Though profitable, silver mining will be an expensive and hard to obtain option in early towns.
Though the mine could be built early on in game, the upkeep and running of the mine would be difficult without an already smooth running town,
one that is able to supply a steady stream of produced goods to the mine... as well as what is needed to operate the furnaces, kilns, ovens, blacksmiths, etc.

As you can see though, the mine is not of the style like the 'thudd surrel family' buildings. That is because though easier to operate with a large industrial town, it will be possible to build and operate the silver mine at a smaller level, output will be slow, work will be tedious, your miners will go through tools, and profit will likely be negligible until you can upgrade and afford the upkeep for a faster more profitable mine.

Tom Sawyer

That looks and sounds very promising @Discrepancy! I started working on North 7. Will be interesting to bring it together with your ideas. :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: Discrepancy on March 09, 2018, 06:04:56 AM
it will be possible to build and operate the silver mine at a smaller level, output will be slow, work will be tedious, your miners will go through tools, and profit will likely be negligible until you can upgrade and afford the upkeep for a faster more profitable mine.

I LIKE THIS !!!
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .