News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Aspenglow - Story 35

Started by Abandoned, November 30, 2018, 10:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

:) Smile, the hat is terrific  :)  You are back on Santa's nice list for returning his hat :)

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

:) Kid had the hat last year but had it on for only a short time I don't think too many people saw it.  :)  I thought it was cool.  8)

Abandoned

Chapter 22

In early spring of year 22 construction resumed on the monk's project, it was a massive stonework of some kind. The monks remained silent as to exactly what it was they were building.  Construction was halted again in spring when workers were called away to other duties.

More roads were needed after the new houses were built.  It was nice to walk around town on clear days and see the festive decorations, Christmas wreaths and trees and decorative cranberry bushes, a snowman here and a snowman there.  Happy greeting were exchange with everyone you met.  Despite the cold and snow, Aspenglow was a happy and healthy place to live.

Wild foods and branches were collected in autumn before work on the monk's project resumed.  It was indeed a massive structure and town's people went as often as they could to check on its progress and marvel at its stature.

Abandoned

Chapter 23

That stone structure grew bit by bit just as our town of Apenglow had.  The main part of town grew from a few old houses, a storage barn, and an abandoned animal shed into what it is now a thriving town center with 2 Yule Taps making our special mulled winter wine.  Let me get you another mug, weary traveler.  Yes, it is delicious.  There were 2 sleighs in this part of town with 500 mulled wine, 500 goat cheese, 500 sausage, and 500 candles in each just waiting for Santa to pick up. 

Through the tunnel to the east, a few houses grew into a sizable bakery garden where winter hardy spices thrive and 2 greenhouses grow our grain.  A bakery makes herb bread and the Christmas baker makes gingerbread cookies.  The festive looking little town hall is made of gingerbread.

A short distance to the south is the forester's settlement.  It too now has its own Hall of Records, plus a school and Nativity Chapel with 32 members and a choir that sounds like angles singing.

To the north of town is the goatkeeper's settlement.  It's chapel has 150 members.  There is no one in town who doesn't like the goat cheese we have thanks to taking in and caring for those mountain goats.

The main Monastery complex has supplied us with fresh baked bread all these years and the crafter's guild makes tasty venison sausage.  There are 3 candle makers and a wonderful Education Center.  Another sleigh of candles, mulled wine, goat cheese, and sausage waits to be picked up, and a warehouse holds 840 candles, a dozen for each household in Aspenglow for Christmas.  The monk's beautiful Medieval Grace Chapel  has now been opened to the public and has 61 members.  Across the river is the book making monastery building and tiny mine.  A sleigh containing 21 Holy Books and a pair of candles for each book waits to be picked up, the books and candles will be delivered to other places of worship here in the northern part of the world.  A warehouse holds 30 extra books now.

Yes, Aspenglow had grown and thrived for 23 years despite the climate.  The citizens had been happy and healthy and then ....

kid1293

I am so used to the snow now I don't react any more to seeing it :)

Abandoned

:) After looking at the snow for so long, I now want to play Tropico  ;D

Abandoned

Chapter 24

In autumn of year 23 the first case of mumps was reported and was immediately followed by a second case.  Both occurred in the book making part of town so that was where the foundation for a tiny hospital was laid and it was given highest priority.  We fear the disease would spread and take its toll but both children visited the Monastery's Herb Healer and a crisis was averted.  That winter was the coldest one yet, the temperature drop to 10 degrees.

We all looked forward to spring of year 24 for warmer temps an the completion of the stonework.  It was a magnificent statue of Cristo Redentor and it towered above the Monastery and could easily be seen from all around town and beyond.  The 3 weary Highland families that arrived saw it from a great distance long before they saw the Monastery tower.  The monk's had the stonecutters carve words from the Holy Book on the statue's base "Come unto me ... and I will give you rest."  Like you, weary traveler, those families were given warm rooms in the boarding house and a hot meal and some of our warm winter wine.  After they had rested and recovered they waited with the rest of us for Santa's arrival.

The weather remained colder than normal, we gathered fallen branches more often.  We were not very concerned with our food supply, now that the sleighs were filled all foods produced went into storage for all to use.  Then on December 24th, just before Santa was scheduled to arrive another snowstorm blew in from the north.  We feared Christmas would be cancelled, but then, early in the day, we saw a bright red light in the sky and heard a HO HO HO and before our eyes Santa appeared with Rudolf the red-nosed reindeer.  Although Rudolf guided the sleigh, Santa said it was the sight of the statue that got them safely here.

After a brief rest and some gingerbread cookies and eggnog, Santa went straight to work.  He would deliver the Holy Books and candles first.  Every place of worship here in the north would have them to celebrate the holiest night of the year.  He instructed the elves to line up the other 3 sleighs while he was gone.  He would return soon and have those care packages delivered to the needy families and still have plenty of time to return to the North Pole to pick up the toys for all the good little boys and girls.

All went as planned, the Holy Books and candles, and the care packages were all delivered, and we knew Cristo Redentor would see that Santa made it safely home.  Most of the town's people of Aspenglow turned out to thank Santa and watch his sleigh fly out of sight. On our way home a member of each household stopped at the warehouse to pick up the monk's gift of a dozen candles each. Vicent and I volunteered to take the candles to those families that were home putting young children to bed.

All was silent and peaceful as we made our way through town that holy night.  It was as if all of nature and even the animals knew this was a special night.  The snow had stopped and the glen was aglow with soft moonlight.  There was a bright star shining in the east.  As we made our way through the forest and approached the Nativity Chapel, we could hear the choir singing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5QzkVLcBmU

Good night, weary traveler, and Merry Christmas

The End

Gatherer

Great finish to a very nice story.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

kid1293

Abandoned

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <