News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Darkstone Castle - Story 55

Started by Abandoned, March 31, 2020, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

banishedsanni

Dramatic! I hope this wont happen in my town. It is a shame that the game itself does not prevent this.

Abandoned

oh, no problem, it is just more to write about.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 12

Following the principle of the tree topper house, a platform was built by the elves farther to the east closer to the smuggler's cave.  Three houses could be built on the platform and the hills and the trees would hide it from view.  The residents however could keep a watchful eye on the cave and the river.  While clearing the trees from the area before building, the workers found several strange holes that had been dug in the soil.  They wondered if some wild animal like the wild boars they heard about had been in the area digging holes.

The villagers began building a few house too.  Elf Ally moved to the village and everyone was surprised when elf Maddie joined him.  The couple had just had their first child when one of the platform houses was completed.  They did not hesitate to move into it.  The Council of Elders, as they were now called, approved, not only of having another purebred elf child but that the couple moved back to the Coven.  A newlywed village couple moved into the village house they vacated.

The Council of Elders were the adult members of  5 of the 7 founding families, Bostoney's grandparents and mine included.  They considered Katha too young and she was married to a villager.  They also did not think Omarien and Jammi would be able to make sound decisions for the Coven when they approved of the union between their 2 children.

Abandoned

Chapter 13

The 2nd Haven house was occupied by another couple where he was a villager and she an elf.  Their 1st child was expected soon.   The Council of Elders were again thinking of the school situation.  At the time there were only 4 students, 1 in the village school and 3 in the coven school but there would be many more starting soon.  One of the students was in the coven school was villager Lymani and elf Katha's son Mearling.  Mearling wanted to be a magician, from little on he wanted to be a magician.  My mother remembered how he would run around the village and coven with a stick he pretended was a magic wand casting spells to make the trees grow like the Haven oaks.  He became very unhappy attending the coven school where others would be taught magic but not him. 

The Elders decided that to protect magical secrets and make teaching easier the coven school would only teach magic and herbalism to purebred elven children.  A new school would be built between the village and the coven and children from both side could attend.  Both Bostoney and I went to that school. 

A coven herbalist was built near the platform houses, the overall health of the people had again dropped slightly.  The 3rd platform house was completed and villager Blaire moved in with elf Patrinidad.  My grandparents Hobertie and Tressandis were disappointed that their youngest daughter did not marry an elf like her sister Maddie did, but at least both girls were living close by in the haven platform houses. 

Abandoned

Chapter 14

Corne, the food merchant, returned with cheese and boar meat.  He knew that wild boars will burrow into the soil after roots and other edibles but he did not think they dug the kind of holes we described finding when the haven platform was built.  He said he would ask around.

Millice, the general goods merchant, had the answer.  He had several pirate treasure maps and one of them looked to be here where the village and coven were.  The map wouldn't be cheap, he would take trade goods rather than a cut of the treasure, trade goods were a more reliable source of income.

The trade was made for the map.  The location marked with an X on the map was found and an X was marked on the ground.  Indeed the spot was near the haven platform.  Someone had been here digging for treasure, perhaps the smugglers from the cave.  It was Blaire who got to work digging for the treasure.  It was not long before he unearthed a large chest.  He carried that heavy chest to the storage barn where it was opened by the Council of Elders and elders from the village.  There was gold and treasures inside were worth 2,500 trade units.   When Blaire retold the treasure hunt story in the years that followed, he always said the real treasure was my brother, Ranco, who was born that year, and myself who was born 2 years later. 

Abandoned

Chapter 15

It was a good thing that the treasure chest had been taken to the trading post for the boatman to estimate its value because the storage barn was rummaged through one night.  Smugglers were suspected.  There was no activity seen during the day but several villagers and coven members reported seeing a flickering light at night across the river.  If the smugglers had a boat, it was kept inside the cave. 

River boatman reported drought in the south and more floods and food shortages elsewhere.  People were migrating from the south to the north and from the north to the south.  Smallville continued to send out expeditions and migrants were being turned away because of lack of space and provisions.  There were again reports of pirates on the main rivers and villages being raided. 

There was concern for the safety of the treasure which the Council of Elders decided should be saved for a time when it was really need.  There was also concern for the magic books which must not fall into the wrong hands.  The protective spell only protected the books for the elements and the passage of time.  A safe and secure area was needed and the Council decided on such a spot near the Haven Platform.  The area was back from the river and in a populated area.  There was room for a small castles with guard towers.  Work began immediately.

Abandoned

Chapter 16

A gate and 2 guard towers were built first.  Two villagers and their elven wives moved in.  The men would take turns on night watch.  A keep was built where the Council of Elders could meet and the treasure chest and magic books could be stored until needed.  Copies were made of the herb and plant books so the originals could also be kept secure.  Work on the castle walls was slow.  Stone was always in short supply and had to be hauled from farther away.  With the number of laborers available it would not have been a problem except that food and firewood were often in short supply also.  The overall health dropped from lack of variety when the workers did not take time to gather wild foods.  The gatherers did their best to keep up.  The villagers began smoking fish and another abandoned cow was found by one of the river boatmen.  Chickens were again moved to the new animal  shed.

The river boatmen's visits were fewer and farther between due to longer routes since so many rivers changed course, more stops at new settlements, area shortages, and increased pirate activities on the main rivers.  The Council and the villagers agreed that some goods should be stored for emergency use.  A sturdy secure warehouse was built within the castle walls and the first thing moved into it was the treasure chest.  Completing the castle walls was still a problem due to lack of stone.  No one wanted a bridge built across the river.  There was stone to be had over the hills to the south.

Abandoned

Chapter 17

Grandpa remembered well the building of the tunnel from the castle to the stone.  The stone was in a valley surrounded by high mountains, the castle would remain secure.  To be on the safe side, a stone gate would be built on the castle side of the tunnel.  In that valley they found much need wild foods.  The food supply was dangerously low.  Another conjurer workplace was built and my Aunt Maddie gave magic lessons to the older students.

Inside the castle walls was a safe and serene place for people to gather.  The fear of discovery by witch hunters and the fear of pirates was always present.  The castle guards eased that fear.  The Council decided a hostel should be built inside the castle walls in case of attack.  The Coven folks agreed but thought it should be reserved for the Elder Council members.  The hostel was built in the center of the castle and was called The Core.  The warehouse already had some iron tools and warm clothes.  Foods with good keeping quality would be added when the food crisis was over.  Another guard tower and a tunnel gate were completed.

In early autumn and again in early winter both Darkstone Village and Darkstone Coven mourned the loss of 2 of the Dark Elf town elders.  Jammi, the sibling couple's mother, and Garnelius, a Council Elder, both died of old age.  They were both in their mid sixties.  The population was 128 after their passing, 88 adults, 22 students, and 18 young children.

Abandoned

Chapter 18

The low food supply got a tremendous boost when the general goods merchants arrived in the summer of year 45.  Records show that several trades were made over a 2 month time period.  Grandpa said they did not have enough room at the trading post and had to wait for one purchase to be taken to storage before the next purchase could be made.  The villagers traded for thousands of apples, potatoes, wheat, and wild oats.  All the old timers remembered that trade.  They also remembered that shortly after one of the small storage sheds in the village was pillaged one rainy night, tracks in the soil lead to the river.

There had been other shortages at that time too.  Surface stone was extremely hard to find and what little there was was too far away to collect in the cold and snow of winter.  By early spring, as usual, firewood was in short supply.  A 2nd wood cutting block was set up inside the castle walls next to the warehouse.  When the merchant returned with more wheat the following year, the villagers built a mill and bakery.  The coveners contributed their best herbs for herb bread.

The river boatmen brought more stories of smugglers and pirates and even kidnappings.  Mothers were especially worried about their young single daughters who like many others wanted to move out on their own.  Two houses were constructed within the castle walls with a third one waiting for stone.  House building was lagging behind the need.  Parents worried their adult children would want to migrate.  A tiny quarry would be dug not far from the village cemetery where more village and coven elders were laid to rest, my grandma included.

Abandoned

Chapter 19

By year 50 riverboat traders were arriving more often.  There was more food available now and the canal built in Riverboat Junction shortened travel time considerably.  The town of Riverview was becoming a resort town where boatmen could meet and spend time with their families.  The villagers was concern that the amount of trade goods they had would not be enough for future food purchases.  Linen and wool clothes and iron tools brought in a lot of wheat, boar meat, and apples.  A market cart was built so a worker could bring iron closer to where the blacksmith needed it. 

To increase food production the villagers built a 3rd fishing pier.  A new house and storage barn were also built near the cemetery.  A tailor was built across from the barn to make warm coats for residents while the original tailor made coats for trade.  The hide coats we conjured up were also traded.  We all continued to gather wild foods and branches, especially in fall.

Another house or two would be built but fewer were needed.  Several of the original village houses were now occupied by young couples.  The Coven too had no pressing need for housing, another tree topper was hidden in the pines by the river.  There would be vacant houses available soon and there was room in the mountain valley to expand if need be.  Bostoney was 18 but still living at home, he was in no hurry to move out and take a wife.  I was only 11 but I was glad to hear that. 

Abandoned

Chapter 20

There was more seeds and seedlings available for trade from towns like O'Leary's Farm.  The villagers brought up the subject of growing wheat in the mountain valley but none of them were farmers, they were fisherman, and the Coveners were conjurers and gatherers.  The Council of Elders was now made up of mostly 2nd generation purebred elves.  A cemetery had been built just outside the castle wall.  Both, Bostoney's elf mother and mine were council members, our fathers were villagers.  The remaining original Council Elders convinced the younger generation that the old ways were best.  The mountain valley was rich in wild foods and firewood but they saw no reason why a few houses could not be built there.  A small market was set up on the other side of the tunnel but house building was not immediately needed.  More house in both the Village and the Coven became available as  more families suffered losses of elderly loved ones.  It was some time before 2 gothic houses were build in the valley.

Iron was in short supply at the time but there was still surface iron to be had in the valley.  Bostoney was a laborer and suggested that a bridge be built to collect stone and iron across the river.  The old abandoned village could be scavenged for needed materials.  The Council was against the idea.  Bostoney said they would have to do something soon about the situation if they wanted to continue to trade iron tools for food.  Trading for iron would not be dependable since few merchants would come down the main river with a boat heavily laden with resources.  They would have a hard time outrunning the pirates.

Abandoned

Chapter 21

Corne, the food merchant, said there were a lot of other boats on the rivers now.  There were houseboats, small sailboats, merchant ships, and pirate ships.  We got our first look at one of the sailing ships in spring of year 54.  The river was high and running fast and the ship with full sails appeared and was soon out of sight, nimbly maneuvering our winding river.  When told about it later, Corne said it was a merchant ship which probably came from  Riverview Resort and may have had passengers.  It would have been headed for Riverboat Junction and came down our river to outrun pirates on the main river.

The 2nd sailboat was not so lucky, it failed to make the turn and crashed into the shore by the abandoned village across the river.  A large pirate ship was in fast pursuit.  The survivors of the shipwreck fled into the forest while the pirates ransacked the ship.  We tried to keep our movements to a minimum to avoid detection.  The women and children made their way to the castle for protection as soon as that pirate ship was sighted.  What?  Oh, that was year 55, I know because that was the year Bostoney and I were married.  We built a small gothic house in the valley behind the castle.  I loved the peace and quiet of the forest and the wildlife.

The following year in early spring there was an outbreak of scarlet fever.  The first case was Elber who tended the castle hedgerow.   The villagers quickly built a bitty hospital outside the castle walls and all 7 patients quickly recovered.  What did not recover was our dwindling food and firewood supplies.  The number of new houses built did not help.

Abandoned

Chapter 22

Bostoney spoke to the villagers and the Council of Elders several times.  More houses required more firewood and took away forest land and gathering spots.  When another house was built in the valley he spoke to them again.  Our food supply was not keeping up with the increase in population and trading had again slowed because of increased pirate activities.  The villagers did trade for potatoes, apples, and cabbage and later much needed wheat.  Iron was collected but there was not much left on this side of the river.  At least the castle warehouse had iron tools and warm coats stored for emergencies. 

In year 57 Bostoney and I had a son we named Burrel.  When he got a bit older he loved to play with the baskets outside my gatherer's hut.  I too was concerned with the dwindling food supply and the number of houses still wanted.  At the end of year 58 the population of Darkstone Village and Darkstone Coven combined was 244, 117 adults, 57 students, and 40 young children.  The villagers and elder council were finally convinced that something must be done.  A bridge was built across the river to the west.  There were resources and room to expand.

Abandoned

:) Nice to see you are here too, stay well  :)

Chapter 23

The villagers decided they would try to grow wheat on the other side of the river.  Jeralyn, the seed merchant, came from a family of farmers and said it would not be that difficult for the villagers to do.  She would bring wheat seeds next time.  Two 10x12 fields were cleared and ready to plant but Jeralyn did not return in time for spring planting that year.  A lot of wild foods had to be collected and luckily Corne, the food merchant arrived with apples, potatoes, and wheat.  The mill and bakery again had the supplies they needed.  The food supply was better when Jeralyn arrived with the wheat seeds early in spring of year 61.  The fields were planted and the crop thrived.  The harvest was good.

In late summer of year 62 another ship was sighted.  I remember it well.  My first thought was what a beautiful ship with white billowed sails and my second thought was fear for its safety and that of anyone on our bridge just around the bend.  I need not have feared.  As if it knew the bridge was there, the ship adjusted its sails and nimbly turned itself to come to rest along shore near the lighthouse.  The captain of the ship had bad news and a request.  In spring there was an invasion of giant frogs in Summerset Swamp.  Many swamp dwellers were dead or seriously injured, left limbless from the attacked.  The herbal healing powers of the elves were widely known and the ship's captain was asking for our help.  We were not aware that our presence there at Darkstone was known but the captain assured us that our secret was safe, could we help? 

Yes, weary traveler, of course we could help.  I used some of my gathering baskets to help gather the special herbs needed.  We showed which herbs needed to be combined and crushed before applying to such wounds.  Infections would be cured and the wounds would heal.  We agreed to have more of these herbs ready to trade with the river boatman.  When the wind was right, the sails were again adjusted and the ship sail away against the current back the way it had come, but along the way before it would reaching the main river, the white sails were lowered and black sails were raised in their place.  Pirates!

Abandoned

Chapter 24

Yes indeed, weary traveler, they were pirates and so were our river boatmen, or at least they worked for a pirate as well as working for Riverboat Junction.  When next Corne, the food merchant, came he told us about his boss Captain Kylandro of Pirates Cove, who was once a river boatman but turned pirate to help those struggling to survive in the swamp.  He was a good man and so were the men working for him.  The pirates that attacked river boatmen and raided and pillaged villages were not his men.  Anything we had to trade, especially the special herbs, would be a big help.  We were not helping pirates, we were helping the poor swamp dwellers.

We would do our best to help but we were still struggling with our own needs of food, firewood, iron, and overcrowded housing.  There were 89 families but only 58 homes. Two more houses were built in the Coven's valley despite Bostoney's protest.  The villagers planted more wheat across the river and began building houses and a gatherer there.  They just finished building another windmill and bakery when there was an outbreak of mumps in the main village.  The hospital was reopened and the only patient was soon cured.  Darkstone's population at the end of year 64 was still 243, 157 adults, 46 students, and 40 young children.

In year 65 we received another request from the pirate Captain Kylandro via the river boatmen.  Thanks to our help many swamp dwellers have survived and healed but most were physically unable to provide for themselves and their families.  Trade was important but hard to provide for them.  There were many more towns and smugglers and now talk of river patrols to crack down on pirates.  Captain Kylandro wants to establish a settlement in the north solely for the purpose of providing needed goods to the swamp. Transport would be done out of the mainstream of riverboat travel.  The river boatman had a copy of the latest World map and indeed there were many towns.  The map was marked with 2 red Xs, one where we were in Darkstone and one where the Captain wanted to establish the settlement in the north.  We were not far from Pirate's Cove but we were now one of the few who knew its location; the crates of new maps mysteriously disappeared from Riverboat Junction's warehouse. Would we be interested in helping to establish such a settlement?