News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Fishmongers - a work in progress by Discrepancy & elemental

Started by Discrepancy, January 15, 2018, 05:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discrepancy

Fishmongers - a work in progress by Discrepancy & elemental

An old idea that started long ago while updating DS Small Village v1 was a Fishmonger to sort fish, no longer would we have something so mundane and generic as the simple resource called 'Fish'.
The introduction of; Bass, Bream, Carp, Cod, Eel, Mullet, Perch, Pike, Salmon, Tench, Trout. Fish found in the fresh waters and estuary's of the middle ages.

The inception took a while to materialize. It finally made an appearance in a v2 beta and then early DS Jetty & Bridge versions with a Jetty Fishmonger sorter and a handful of recipes in the village kitchen.
The idea was there, just not harnessed correctly. It was later removed to 'streamline' the DS Jetty & Bridge mod.

So I've picked it up again of recent. I have reconnected with elemental on the mod and we are trying to get the basis of a mod together.

This will be an industry wide mod, a bit like what I wanted to achieve with DS Blast Furnace & Industry Mining. But I hope to have it better balanced and overall a more complete release.

So what is planned?
- the return of the Jetty Fishmonger to process-sort fish.
- a medium-sized land Fishmonger to sort fish. 2 textures , matching DSSV and Pick & Hen.
- a large modular Fishmonger set, all buildings start as shanty versions with upgrades:
        -- a large open-air Fishmonger, shanty like, it will upgrade to a semi enclosed, 'modern banished' renaissance version (faster production), this upgrade can then upgrade to a faster again, fully enclosed (glass roofed) building (see images below).
        -- the same/similar buildings to above but as markets.
        -- Tower and additional modular buildings:
                         - - storage towers and vaults.
                         - - tower residences.
                         - - fishing wharfs.
                         - - mollusc wharfs
also
- Campfire Fish Grill
- Fish Cafe

- Smoking place
- Drying place

We are also thinking of the possibility of adding a kind of 'Ocean Fish' fishing wharf. something costing a resource that would produce a 'catch' of ocean fish.

This mod won't be for everyone. It will be adding many new resources. Fishmongers at the most will be adding a small amount of trade profit and negligible increase in food #.
The next level of the production needs to be explored, Smoking Recipes, Drying, even Salting. Kitchen, Cafe and Campfire recipes, mollusc, building and any other ideas to go along with this mod would be appreciated :)

here are some recent work-in-progress pictures:
(thanks to @Bartender for the glass material)

Turis

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Hawk

[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Maldrick

"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

kid1293

Stunning!
A real center for fish processing. How long is it? 18-20 tiles?
Nice to have it upgradeable.

I like fish! :)

Tom Sawyer

That becomes an upscale fish restaurant with panoramic glass roof built in a wing of an old manor house or even palace. :)

Nilla

No limits in the creativity!  :) :D

It´s very nice, that someone thinks big. We need all kind of stuff in Banished!

markfamily

This looks awesome and the idea is much needed to expand the fishing industry.

elemental

The buildings do look very impressive, but if you think it might be too big for your map or town keep in mind this one is the big fancy version. There will be simpler and smaller versions of the fishmonger too, more suited to smaller towns and earlier in the game. Full credit to Discrepancy because he is doing the hard work (modelling and coding), I'm just thinking out loud and offering ideas and feedback.

Now is your chance to post requests for fish recipes and other ideas for this mod. The plan is that the fishmonger mod will add some fish-based foods and also some fish-based luxuries (for consumption at fish cafe or at taverns). We don't want generic foods like the CC pub meals, we want it to be a bit more real and personal.

So far we have the fishmonger building sorting generic fish into these fish:

Bass
Bream
Carp
Cod
Eel
Mullet
Perch
Pike
Salmon
Tench
Trout

If you would like to suggest recipes you are welcome to use any of these fish types and any of the other food ingredients already offered by other mods. We also have shellfish from various other mods, as well as smoked fish, dried fish, salted fish. So fish and chips would be something like fish, potato, and maybe salt or oil. Don't worry about balancing quantities, that comes later.

Ideas for ocean fish, and thoughts on ocean fishing in general are also welcome. This mod is very much a work in progress so now is the time to offer ideas.  :)

markfamily

Could you also use fish oil as a healing item. just a thought

elemental

Interesting idea. An apothecary? Certainly is possible but might be better suited to being a separate mod. I would like to see some town and city-based alternatives to the herbalist.

Tom Sawyer

I did not know what a monger actually is. Wiki says it's a kind of trader specialized in selling various fish in this case. So I would expect a rather simple market stall or for processing fish a rustic building and if modern any industrial looking factory. The building in the preview pictures look manorial. I would never consider it as something connected with selling fish. Maybe it could really be used as a very special restaurant or as something completely different. Something like a castle or palace with functions for administration (town hall) together with attracting nomads and providing happiness or as a kind of monumental achievement with expensive building costs. In short, to make much more of this gorgeous model than an ordinary fishmonger. That's what comes to my mind. :)

Nilla

I understand your thoughts, @Tom Sawyer. This great looking building ought to be more than just a fishmarket, but it looks like you have something like that in mind, @Discrepancy and @elemental . I can also say; the design is not improper. I´ll show a picture from the main fishmarket from Gothenburg, Sweden, called "Feskekörka" =Fishchurch in the local accent. It was built in the 1870s.