Started by Nilla, June 01, 2015, 04:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

i was joking, but it always give a little hit to my heart when i see those ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

assobanana76

@Nilla
maybe you could hide that empty space between the house and the mountain placing a specialized fuel stockpile that will be filled with firewood!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Nilla

If i build any more of those "special houses", I will avoid to show them in my pictures. I really don't want to hurt you, @RedKetchup.    :-[ ;)   There will not be many anyhow, I think I've made as many experiments I can think of.  But sometimes these "ugly" things happens to me by accident. I might build the second or third floor on the wrong spot or in the wrong direction. If I notice it, I normally demolish, but sometimes you have to watch carefully to see that somethings wrong. You have to be quite focused on what you are doing, if you build many of these houses.

Yesterday was a cold and ugly day. My daughter who just came back from the Arctic, has left again, so I had a lot of time to play Banished. Just reached 4000 people before I stopped for the night. So this time, I have a lot to tell about the game, I also made a lot of screenshots and I will show you some of them.

First picture

I've built a second canal. I like them. Far away from lakes and rivers the "not perfect fitting" color doesn't matter at all. It's beautiful. So an advice to you, who care a lot about the aesthetics; connect the canal to a small stream, not to the main river or a lake.

The sheep, headed for the new pasture area seemed to like the canal, too, followed it all the way. They looked funny: Disappeared under the ice of the canal, jumped on the bridge, than again under the ice until they reached the part under construction.

Second picture

I still have problems with "freezers". First time I actually thought, that it after all might have something to do with the wrong use of the NMT houses. The people all walked to a house, where I accidentally, without notice built the second floor in the wrong direction (As I promised, I will not show it). As I rebuilt the second floor right the "freezers" were no longer interested in that house.

But the next winter, the same again: But this time it was a completely normal one store little cottage, noting special as I can see. The people really let everything by side and walked all over the map to this house. So I got the "brilliant" idea to demolish it and build a fruit store instead. Look at the next picture what happened!

Third picture

There must be a really big sale here. The poor woodcutter, everyone take a shortcut across his yard. And the poor fruit vendor on the other side of the trading port; no business at all! And when I say everyone, I really mean everyone from far and near; traders, vendors, millers, bakers, farmers...... It seems to be the only fruit market on the whole map. From the 4500 pies I had in store 3800 were put here, far away from most production sites and far away from most trading ports. This place is cursed! So I had to disappoint my people and demolish this much loved store. The stock pile I built there after the store was gone, seems to work normally, maybe a couple of mourning citizens come there from time to time, but no big "migration".

I will show you a couple of more pictures later.

RedKetchup

you need to be better doing those canals ^^ i saw some ' ground mounts' in middle of it in screenshot 2  :P

Nilla

Quote from: assobanana76 on June 18, 2015, 04:01:47 AM
@Nilla
maybe you could hide that empty space between the house and the mountain placing a specialized fuel stockpile that will be filled with firewood!

Thanks for the advice but I don't think I will. First I don't think @RedKetchup would like it anyhow. Second I don't think I would like it better. This building is built at a slope, to put something under it, you have to level the area underneath it, and except for one thing, your quarry (I like that very much) it always looks weird and ugly. Third, as you might have noticed, this settlement is based on efficiency, using the NMT-mod. Everything I build have to have a purpose, if it looks good as well, fine. I produce firewood in small clusters of 4-6 woodchoppers together with one hardware store for logs and one general store for firewood. They are spread all over the map so no one have to walk very far to get some wood every other year. There would also never be any firewood stored on that stockpile, it's all in the general store.

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 18, 2015, 05:11:31 AM
you need to be better doing those canals ^^ i saw some ' ground mounts' in middle of it in screenshot 2  :P

I know. It has bin fixed! But thanks for telling, anyhow.

I know how they got there the first place. I changed the corner part. First I made a 3-way corner but changed my mind and replaced it with the 2 way corner. I had the same as I tore down some normal canal parts and built a bridge. I have learned, that if you change your mind and replace some canal parts with others, you might have to rebuild the normal neighbor parts as well. it's also advisable to build at least one straight normal canal piece between any of the other special parts.

But now I want to show you some more pictures, maybe I have one where the canal is fixed.

Sorry, I had no more screenshots from that area after I rebuilt the adjusting canal pieces.

First picture

I want to show four things with this picture.

1. The population graph. Nice fast growth.
2. The funny looking "ant-trail". Maybe I should have built a tunnel under than big mountain.
3. The small woodchopper area under construction (upper part of the picture). The NMT-mod with its stores makes it possible to build small remote production areas like this woodcutter settlement. The hardware store collects logs and the woodcutters leave their wood in the general store. I have built some stockpiles, too, on areas too small for houses, but they will probably be empty most of the time.
4. The big stores of food (and logs). I have started semi-automatic trading. I certainly have too many trading ports (I'm too fond of the canals and the canal ports  :-\ ) So even if I hardly buy anything manually, the stores increase in a quite uncontrolled way. I have started to change my orders a bit (order too much honey) but I might have to change some more things.

Second picture

My latest "project". I want to connect the lake with the beginning of the river via the small stream. Maybe the merchants bound for the TP in the south will take this way. As I said I'm too fond of the canals.

Third picture

4000 people! Sorry, the wheather isn't very nice. The lags are quite bareable. I have noticed; the NMT-houses produce no smoke, it will probably help. I stopped here yesterday evening and will start the game again soon. In fact; I'm not very keen. Why? The sick people have small pocks! It's one of the really ugly deceases and more than 20 sick people already  :( . I don't think my 7 doctors are enough in such a dense settlement. I hope you all cross your fingers that I have luck!

I just ran a spellcheck. Sometimes it suggests funny things. For excample, it wanted to change NMT-houses to Nuthouses.  ;)  ;D

Nilla

RedKetchup

llllooooooooooooollllll, sorry if i am laughing...... but i never saw something like that before !!!!! 1900 infected ?
how you managed to get that ?? ?? ?

Nilla

They were even a little over 2000 at the most. And to get them, it's easy. You only have to catch small pox in a dense settlement with some 1000 inhabitants. (It didn't even came from nomads, probably one of my many merchants dragged it into my town.) You have maybe read the numbers of the probability of getting and dying of this disease. I know it's somewhere on this page, but couldn't find it at the moment.

It's quite a blow to your population. It went down to about 3400. It lasted a little more than ½year and in that time there is a natural population growth, so I guess there were 800-900 deaths. :(  :'(  If I remember it right our friend @irrelevant had a similar experience in his Sink Mill.

And after that disease, my town doesn't really work. Small pox is one thing. it belongs to Banished, but these bugs are really tormenting me. I'll tell you more later. Maybe someone have a suggestion what I can do, otherwise I suppose this town is finished.

irrelevant

@Nilla yeah, smallpox is brutal. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=327.207, 3/4s of the way down the page.

I'd be sad to see you end this town, but I know it's not much fun fighting bugs (the computer kind). Once your town stops working, everything just turns into a struggle instead of being fun.

RedKetchup

Nilla

I want to show you some pictures of my bugs. Sorry animal lovers if you expected some pictures of beetles or lice.

First I should maybe tell you about the consequence of the many small pox deaths; It might have something to do with my "divorce bug" but probably not with the "freezer bug". I "enjoyed" (irony :-\) them both.

After the big epidemic, I had more houses than families and that means separated couples. It's not so funny to search more than 1000 normal homes for separated couples. The NMT-houses with three stores are worse, much more difficult to find the right floor to "fake demolish". But I searched the town as good as I could, hoping I could get catch of at least one from each separated couple. I held the menus open to gradually force the couples together again. It wasn't as easy as I thought, sometimes young couples settled in the free houses, sometimes a single adult, with or without children. First I though I was too much in a hurry, so I let it take its time. I really had these problems until some nomads arrived. (spring 59). After that everything seemed to be normal for a while.

First picture

This picture shows both of my problems. In the following winter, there were suddenly hundreds of freezing citizens. First I didn't know where they were going, but finally, I saw it was this absolutely normal three store house. As i demolished it, there were no new freezers, but those who had started their journey, went on until the real bitter end.

To this point i had 1553 families for 1316 homes. (Consequence of the many nomads). So I build a lot of new houses. What happens when a house is finished? It stands empty for quite some time. Than suddenly a single adult moves in, maybe with children. If there are more empty houses, they all are settled at the very same moment. The same happens in homes, where people die of old age, it stands empty for a while, than a divorced person moves in.  :( ???

Second picture

Here's a picture of the bitter end. The magic house is in the upper right corner of the map. Presently there is much activity in the opposite corner (latest developing area). So there is a long way for many people. 40-50 of them didn't make it, they died on the road of starvation! :(

I suppose you might understand my frustration.

I will try once more tonight. Silly enough, I didn't think of restarting the game. Maybe the bugs will be gone than. At least it's worth one more try.

RedKetchup

that big happended with someone who doesnt use NMT but only CC.
and how they do CC is very different than i do my things.

http://colonialcharter.com/index.php/forum/help-support/1499-citizens-walking-forever-to-get-warm

but sorry if still because me, i have no idea of what to tell you Nilla

Nilla

You mustn't say anything, I never thought it's because of you. This thread in that CC-forum also proves it. By the way, I told them of my problems there as well. They should know that it's not because of their mod either. Just a stupid rare bug.

Nilla

YES! IT WORKS!  :D  :D

After I restarted the game, the couples behaved normal again! And.............. No more freezers!!!!! At least not so far! I was very happy. At least for a while!

Maybe my game wanted to make @RedKetchup laugh again, I don't know. At least, I didn't laugh. 5 years after the big small pox epidemic, again; thousends of people ill! This time, it was scarlet fever, not quite as bad as small pox. "Only" 1700 ill at the most. "Only" a few hundred deaths!

This time it was a little bit different: There were never less families then houses, but still at the end of the epidemic, the couples started to split up again. No new families founded. All over the map; single adults, with or without children took possession of houses, that got empty when people died. Same thing happened in the new buildings. I began to think, that this weird behaviour might have something to do with illness. The program is "overloaded" calculating the behaviour of many sick people.

Anyhow; I waited until the last person with scarlet fever had left the clinic. Than I restarted Banished and YES! It worked normal again! (Maybe it would have worked without restarting the game as well, but it didn't the first time, after the small pox).

It went so well, that I passed 5000 people without notice! :) Of cause there are lags, but still not too bad. I see no difference between 1x, 2x or 5x speed, but it doesn't matter, I have things to do all the time. I am also quite content with my automatic trading. At the moment it seems quite optimized. Food is always between 850 000 and 950 000, logs around 25 000, tools about 5000 and I always have enough stones and iron. These are the things I buy, together with some wool and a few herbs. I have enough pie and firewood to sell. I've set the limits of firewood to 50 000 and clothes to 5000. I have some over production, so they sometimes take a brake, but I let them rest from time to time.

I wonder, how long will it last, until the next blow comes?  ;) ::)

First picture

Scarlet fever. There were more ill people earlier, but the wheather was awful (same as here in life) and I wanted to show you my new southwest settlement, almost finished.

Second picture

5000 inhabitants. That's my biggest settlement, so far. The picture shows the area, I develop at the moment. I can't help it; I must make more experiments with the canal pieces!  ;D  :-[

RedKetchup