Do Gatherers _just_ put food in baskets? Clarification on AI behaviours?

Started by seanth, April 11, 2018, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanth

I've been playing Banished off-and-on for a few years, but today I was testing something about vanilla Gatherer behaviour.

I ended up with a situation where there were many baskets full of berries, onions, and mushrooms on the ground, but my people starved. I had intentionally assigned everyone a job, so there were no laborers.

Based on this, is the game logic that Gatherers will put harvested food into baskets but will not collect them and take them to storage areas? Laborers are absolutely needed to pick up the baskets? This isn't the case when harvesting stone, iron, or wood, of course: the bannie will chop the tree into logs and then carry the logs to storage BUT the bannie doing the job is already a Laborer

And what happens if there are no laborers but there are bannies whose job is blocked--either by a missing input resource or they have maxed out their production? For example, if a Builder has nothing to build, they should behave as a Laborer, yes? Will they go pick up food baskets?

If what I said above is correct, is there a mod that changes the behaviour of Gatherers so that they will not only put food into baskets, but will transport it back home?

It was very sad to watch everyone starve with so much food in baskets.

brads3

did you have a barn or was the storage full?did you go to change a limitand accidently set the food to 0? when workers have nothing to do,they do work as laborers. you are correct on that. am surprised the bannies starved since i would thought a hunter was filling the storage. could you have n that would not hold food?

seanth

Hmm. I know that I didn't change any of the limits to set food to zero. I still had the starting storage cart, a market, and two boarding houses.

In writing this, I think I understand what happened. I had a brain freeze and thought markets also acted like storage buildings, and was in the process of removing the storage cart. I knew better but just got distracted I guess. So there was no place to store the food and everyone starved.

So that explains what I was seeing, but now it feels like a bug. Seems like bannies would take gathered food straight to a market or a house if there wasn't a storage area.

@brads3 Thx for the sanity check on this.

brads3

they should have used the market but if it was a food market.they could have dropped the food and went to empty the cart though. that would back everything up.

RedKetchup

Quote from: seanth on April 11, 2018, 11:29:02 AM
Hmm. I know that I didn't change any of the limits to set food to zero. I still had the starting storage cart, a market, and two boarding houses.

@brads3 Thx for the sanity check on this.

you cannot count on the market as storage, if they have place in a storage location, they can go put in a market, but if no space available, they cannot take , then since cannot take it, they cannot go and bring it to the market. now sure if you understand what i mean ....
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Quote from: seanth on April 11, 2018, 11:01:16 AM
I've been playing Banished off-and-on for a few years, but today I was testing something about vanilla Gatherer behaviour.

I ended up with a situation where there were many baskets full of berries, onions, and mushrooms on the ground, but my people starved. I had intentionally assigned everyone a job, so there were no laborers.

Based on this, is the game logic that Gatherers will put harvested food into baskets but will not collect them and take them to storage areas? Laborers are absolutely needed to pick up the baskets? This isn't the case when harvesting stone, iron, or wood, of course: the bannie will chop the tree into logs and then carry the logs to storage BUT the bannie doing the job is already a Laborer

And what happens if there are no laborers but there are bannies whose job is blocked--either by a missing input resource or they have maxed out their production? For example, if a Builder has nothing to build, they should behave as a Laborer, yes? Will they go pick up food baskets?

If what I said above is correct, is there a mod that changes the behaviour of Gatherers so that they will not only put food into baskets, but will transport it back home?

It was very sad to watch everyone starve with so much food in baskets.
The game design is for gatherers to put food into the baskets, and for laborers to pick up the baskets and take them to storage. This allows the gatherers to go on doing their job of gathering food.

If you don't have enough laborers to carry out this storage task, then yes, the gatherers eventually will stop gathering food and take the food to storage. But then they gather less food.

This is also the design for foresters, hunters, smiths, tailors, fishers, woodcutters, and brewers. They produce the goods, and laborers pick up the goods and take them to storage. This is why it is so important to have a good pool of laborers in your town.