News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theonlywanderer

I've done a few settlements using North 6, it's awesome.   Really changes up the atmosphere.   Well done!   Look forward to seeing it progress.

darnokthemage

Now we just need townhouses! Recommend looking at this for some more Falu red houses: http://www.handkraft-timmerhus.se/huskatalog/

Tom Sawyer

That site seems to be offline but you are right, it needs townhouses and I would like to make them someday. At the moment, my favorites on a Nordic map are DS Townhouses with the Bryggen houses from Norway and Small Town Row Houses by Kid. Both fully compatible and with matching design.

With the idea of an auto-disappearing hunting spot I played around and got it to work (in principle). But sometimes the game still crashes when the spot vanishes and a hunter is assigned. I did it by adding animal features and let it die after a month. It seems to be handled differently by the game if an object is demolished or "dying". I can't solve it without access to the core game and gave up for now.

Tom Sawyer

Thank you for the pictures (saved). I already got a suggestion for an even smaller and more primitive chapel and will see what it will be exactly.

I would very much like to see your ideas for town houses or more houses in general. I'm not productive these days, some inspiration could help. ;D

darnokthemage

Houses like these would be a very good addition. they were in style from 1750-1800, but continued to influence rural Sweden a long time. The building would actually be two, one large farmhouse and a farmhouse workshop, like the smaller ones have. Maybe the workshop could also produce some foodstuff and luxury items, like baking bread or weaving tapestries from wool.

Tom Sawyer

So many nice pictures!

The parstuga you already showed @darnokthemage or? It's especially nice with grass roof. As a combined object with workplace I'm not sure. The parts would not really work well separately and I somehow got away from this concept. As a complete home it would stay on 6 x 4 tiles for up to 6 peeps instead of a red cottage on 5 x 4 for 5. How would we name this house in English? Parstuga = pair cottage?^^

From Old Linköping I have many pictures too. It's my favored location for new town houses. I also like the ones from Luostarinmäki. They look like workman's houses around old factories or so. The colorful houses from porvo or rauma would work great in a Banished town as well, even on 4 tiles width for dense housing. I saved them all, thank you!

darnokthemage

Pair cottage or pairhouse would probably work, but the reason i want it to be divided is because it is common for poorer folk to use a much shorter variation.

Tom Sawyer

I see and the right part could be added to complete the house? In real I mean. I can make a sketch to play around with it.

Also, on the same website I found this, a garden pavilion for happy bannies.. or too kitchy? ;D

darnokthemage

Yeah, when families was rich enough they often added a feast room, which the other side was. That pavilion would be nice, maybe make a red version so we can have a nice garden for our town centers?

Tom Sawyer

Look, we are right with calling it pair-house: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair-house

@1 When you are visiting those old towns and museums it would be great you can make more photos. The issue with pictures from internet is that they are mostly only showing the front but for reconstruction it's also interesting to see the back or an entrance on the side. A portrait of the original door can even be used for texturing. I did this with the bank of Linköping e.g..

Tom Sawyer

Yes, I plan a hospital. It's the last vanilla building to be replaced. So far I have this picture from Karlsborg/Sweden. Rather modern brick building with cooper roof I think. Would be interesting to see some alternatives.

Tom Sawyer

No need to look embarrassed.^^ That's my concept so far. I want to finish the model next days. Good to use inspiration while it's still fresh. I'm not sure what details can be added to make it more recognizable as infirmary or doctor house. Do you have ideas?

Tom Sawyer

Ui.. who knows what else is buried there. Such things came to my mind while drawing it, wondering for what is that second door to the left for example. I thought the small porch with stairs is the main entrance where people enter the house and the double door at ground level must be where they are rolling out eventually, no?^^ Also this cellar entry at the back is a bit suspicious to me. ;D

Signs work well and can usually be read when zooming in. Maybe a lantern can be also nice at the door (for people who need help at night) or some benches around where they can't be places well as toolbar items.

brads3

isn't that door for frankenstein to sneak out at night? seriously i would say for supplies and firewood to be delivered. and bodies to be removed.

Tom Sawyer

Haha even as a brothel? A real multipurpose building. ;D

That it was a separate residence explains the different ground levels of the porches which was a bit curious. I've changed my concept. People now enter through the double door and can still also use the other porch. The loop way inside distracts people from running through the surgery room with barrows and stuff. At least I think so. If not, I will cut the path. The bench can be placed from toolbar at this location and the small sign is exactly as in original photos. Probably hard to read but not really an issue. Sending it now to the Blender department for technical processing.. not my business.^^