News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Problems with modkit and font resources compiling

Started by seanth, April 20, 2019, 05:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanth

After some time away, I have returned to attempt to get the modkit to compile in a wine wrapper running on Mac OS.

I've made a lot of progress, and _most_ of it is working and compiling, but there are still problems. Details about what I have done follow below. I'd like a sanity check of how similar things should go in Windows.

1.) Does it actually compile using 32bit on Windows? What about if you disable the VideoDX11-x32-profile.dll file and force it to use the VideoDX9-x32-profile.dll?
2.) Using Tools-x32.exe throws the "Assert: _vertexLayout != NULL && _vertexProgram != NULL && _pixelProgram != NULL && _renderState != NULL Render pass must have v1, vs, ps, and RS1!" error. I know this has been reported by others on Windows, but the solution isn't clear to me. I can ignore these errors for the "build Dialog\Loading.rsc" steps and things seem to go fine.
3.) Errors are thrown about Font*c32.png files. The build process generates them, but claims they are unreadable (resources/Build/Fontc32.png, FontLargec32.png, FontMediumc32.png, and FontSmallc32.png). It's only for these files, none of the other Font*.png images are a problem. I know these images are generated at time of compile. To get around this, I have locked those image files at the system level so they can't be overwritten. This seems to "fix" the loading problem (since the files are not being overwritten), but the Font resources are still not compiled. From that point forward, anything related compiling resources related to fonts fails.

Any thoughts on what this might be? Has anyone on Windows run into this font compiling issue? I'm so close to get it all working on Mac OS, but I've hit a wall. It feels like I am missing something that the build tools expect, but I don't have enough info to figure out what.

Notes on my process so far:
Change OS type to windows 7 in winecfg
Update winetricks
Install msxml3.dll winetrick
Install directx9 (the overkill one) winetrick
Install BanishedInstaller_1.0.7_x32.exe
Install vcredist_x86.exe
Unzip francophil_sans.zip
Copy fonts to c:windows/Fonts/
Make BanishedKit folder in "c drive"
Unzip BanishedKit_1.0.7.170910
Copy contents of unziped BanishedKit_1.0.7.170910 to BanishedKit folder on "c drive"
Copy the previously saved and "fixed" image files to:
   resource/Dialog/Sprite/Boarders/
   resource/Dialog/Sprite/Misc/
   resource/Dialog/Sprite/Scenario/
Copy previously altered BuildResources.bat to BanishedKit folder
Rename c:BanishedKit/bin/x32/VideoDX11-x32-profile.dll to VideoDX11-x32-profile.disableddll
Copy all 4 files from game Banished/WinData/ to BanishedKit/bin/WinData/
Go to command line shell
   cd ../../BanishedKit
   ./BuildResources.bat

This initial run will throw lots of errors. As the font images are generated in resource/Build, the *c32.png images should be file locked.
A second run of the bat will result in a significant number of compiled resources in BanishedKit/bin/WinData

Jinxiewinxie

You sound way smarter than me, so apologies in advance if this is a dumb question but do you have the Francophil font itself installed? It was included in the instructions I followed somewhere for how to install the modkit on Windows. Mac things are way beyond my brain capacity level but maybe this helps? I've attached the font in a zip file for you.

seanth

Yes. I placed the fonts into c:windows/Fonts. I assume that's where fonts should go?

RedKetchup

sorry i can't help you much on this. i never tried to make a "fonts" mod and i have no idea of Mac vs wine vs win7 transfert of files environment.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Jinxiewinxie

Quote from: seanth on April 20, 2019, 06:00:35 PM
Yes. I placed the fonts into c:windows/Fonts. I assume that's where fonts should go?

That's where my fonts live on Windows 10. Hmm.. =/

Would a zipped copy of a working C:\BanishedKit folder help out all for like, comparing files and such? I uploaded mine just in case:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14nIOGJ11CDkPJb7WFpxJg1BTuYkRjyAb/view?usp=sharing

seanth

@Jinxiewinxie that does help in showing what is being correctly compiled. Thx. At least now I have a + control to look at

seanth

@RedKetchup Oh, I'm not trying to make a font mod. The compiling step in making the font images (resource/Build/uiFont*Image.png) isn't working for me yet

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

seanth

Update

The folder/file structure @Jinxiewinxie shared has helped immensely. The generated sprite sheets and font images are all looking good now--no freak outs about being unable to find/open Font*c32.png files. Significantly more compiles correctly.

The oddest thing I find right now is that I still need to manually supply re-saved versions of these image files:
     /resource/Dialog/Sprite/Boarders/Tab.png
     /resource/Dialog/Sprite/Misc/White.png
     /resource/Dialog/Sprite/Scenario/TutorialFood.png
     /resource/Dialog/Sprite/Scenario/TutorialGettingStarted.png
     /resource/Dialog/Sprite/Scenario/TutorialSurvival.png
     /resource/Dialog/Sprite/Scenario/TutorialTrade.png

I can open and work with those images supplied with the modkit, but the compiler can't. I need to save new versions. It's very odd.

I'm going to split the bat file into discrete steps next so I can focus on just those parts one at a time and see if I can figure out how to reduce/eliminate the ongoing errors/compile fails.

Jinxiewinxie

Phew! Glad I could be at least a little bit helpful XD Mac things are beyond me so hopefully someone who knows what's up will come by for you (=