News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Banishedsanni - Poppyglade

Started by banishedsanni, March 07, 2020, 03:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artfactial

These are wonderful, very inspiring, thank you!
I love the small scale and detailing, really brings it to live.
I might start a small village/community soon too.

I too like to get more connected to my banished town, try out the foods which my bannies have. I've been doing historical baking/cooking for a while now and it really makes you appreciate the taste pallet and food variation of the times.

banishedsanni

@Artfactial  Thanks :)

If u plan to upload a detailed blog here be careful! For me it is really hard to express everything in english. I write the text in my native language first and then i translate it into english. And because I can't express myself in english that well I have to cut a lot of text and often formulate differently. Sometimes I have to break down the original text to such an extent that it seems very bumpy to me.

So just a little warning that this can be a lot of work :D

But I am looking forward to see more inspiring content!

Artfactial

Haha, thanks for the warning!^^

I already have a way too detailed village blog on here, actually:D :
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2835.0

But something small scale might be just what I need to get back into it and pick that up again at some point.
English isn't my native language either and finding my way around it and working with historical terminology can be tricky.

But you're doing fine be the looks of it!
Do you keep a family tree to keep track of the people and their stories? I can really recommend it, especially if you're planning to make this a multi-generation town.:)

banishedsanni

Oh! I will have a look into your Connecticut Coastal Colony! Did ot discovere it yet.

Since there are only 4 adults and 6 children I dont need a very professional family tree yet.
But I have a noted down who belongs to whom, yes.
And since I recently opened Poppyglade for outsiders, I guess I will have to make a more professional one in the future.
More work awaits me! :D

Artfactial

Haha yes, once migrants come into town the complexity of it all increases greatly!^^

All caught up now, really like the story so far, well done!:)
Love how you include little natural things that had such great impact on daily lives (but aren't really simulated in the game) like the learning of skills, trail and error, pregnancies and the changes in nature that come with the seasons. A small community like this would be so much more connected with and dependent on these things.

banishedsanni

10. June
In the pleasant mild nights, which we like to spend chatting outside in the garden, we have been talking very often lately about the returning to our homeland. We are undecided. Except for Norwoodie. When I met him, he was a wandering musician without a home. But his place is now by my side, he says, and he'll go where I go. Even if he would have to face my parents for it. On the one hand, this brings me to tears, on the other hand, the whole burden of the decision rests on my shoulders.
Miliss and Winstonewall grew up as children in the luxury of two rich families and had enjoyed working in the family business for several years before they ran aground here. The prospect of luxury and less hard work seems tempting, but the two of them are actually very happy in this simple life in the poppy glade. And me? Even though we were in a fight the last time we saw each other, I love my parents very much. The chance of seeing them again ... But what then? Would i stay there? Would they even accept Norwoodie and the kids? Wouldn't I want to go back to the poppy glade someday? We could simply start a new life in Wyndmoorcross. One gets always work there. On the other hand, we built up a lot in these last 10 years and now that we have contact with the outside world, maybe a lot would become easier. Maybe even more people will come here. I just do not know. Not yet.
Nettel had made it clear that he wouldn't be able to come back this year. So we still have a little time to make a decision.

10. October
The weather in October was awful rainy. On one of the few sunny days, we all went outside together for a little walk along the river bank. The children built huge mountains out of leaves, that had already turned brown and fell from the trees, and romped about in them. In the distance, Winstonewall saw something and pointed to it. After a while, this something became somewhat recognizable as a ship. We had not expected that. Didn't Nettel want to come back not before next year? When the ship followed the bend in the river and we looked not at the bow but at the side of the ship, Miliss cried out, took Winstonewall with one hand on the elbow and pointed to the side of the ship with the other hand. It said in large letters: "Thomson & Taylor - Textile Company". This company belonged to Miliss' and Winstonewall's families!

We excitedly waited until the ship finally arrived at the jetty, what felt like eternity. Meanwhile it had started to rain. As soon as the ship was moored by the ship's crew, Miliss and Winstonewall cryingly hugged their families. Thomasa, only three years old, did not seem to understand the situation properly and started to cry. Dandro hugged his little sister and tried to explain that mom and dad were crying for joy. Although I was sure that he didn't know why exactly.

Meanwhile Nettel approached Norwoodie and me and explained that he saw a Thomson & Taylor Company ship in the port of Wyndmoorcross a few weeks after he returned home and told the crew about our fate. That ship had probably passed on these hot news to both the families. A few weeks later the parents of the two had sailed to Wyndmoorcross and sought out Nettel. He finally brought them here.

In the meantime, the focus was on the children now. Dandro and Lessandria stood next to Thomasa, who was smiling again, and curiously eyed the unknown relatives. Miliss explained to the children who the four people were, who mommy and daddy had cryingly hugging. Rihann, Since and Rheatalia excitedly approached. Winstonewall's father tried to explain my three sweeties, that he was not their grandfather. But Dandro hugged Rihann tightly, gave her a kiss on the cheek and replied indignantly that we were all one family. Miliss, Winstonewall, Norwoodie and I looked at each other with a smile and I knew we all thought the same thing. Dandro was absolutely right. We had grown into a big family in the past few years. And the children knew nothing else.

Since the rain was getting stronger, we decided to go inside. The children stormed ahead, happily holding hands together. Shortly afterwards we all sat in the kitchen, our families, Nettel and the crew of the ship. It was a little cramped because the kitchen, although it was the largest room in the two houses, was not designed for so many people. The children excitedly besieged the newcomers, showing them their favorite toys and handicrafts that they were particularly proud of. Before the children could take our nerves off with a shrill flute concert, Miliss and I served herbal tea and honey biscuits. One cannot play the flute with your mouth full.
We talked for a long time, told our stories again in detail. The children simply slept on our laps. The birds started chirping again when we finally took the children to their beds and then fell into ours ourselves. Our visitors slept on the ship.

The next day started mild and sunny, so we put all the tables and chairs we owned outside and had breakfast in the garden. When the plates were empty, we enjoyed the last warmth of this year on our skin and chatted calmly. Winstonewall's mother liked what we had built here over the years. And her husband and Miliss' parents nodded. She added that it would be almost a shame that this would degenerate when we returned home.
There was a momentary silence. Rihann frowned in confusion and Since broke the silence when he outraged replied that we were already home. All the children nodded their heads eagerly. Norwoodie put his hand on my knee and squeezed it gently, as if he meant so silently that he agreed with the children. I put my hand on his and gently pushed back. Winstonewall sighed, gave his daughter Thomasa, who was sitting on his lap, a kiss on the back of the head and began to say what we all thought.

10. November
After a few days and many, sometimes heated discussions, the Thomson and Taylor families finally gave up and it was finally certain that Miliss and Winstonewall would stay here. I am so relieved. If the two had left us, Norwoodie and I could never have hold our own here alone. We would have to leave too.
But now that we would all stay here together and we finally have contact with the outside world, I am very confident about the future.

And I'm eagerly awaiting the coming spring. Nettel had brought us everything that was on the list that we had given him on his first visit. We had mainly put various medications on the list, such as a vial of real steam distillated lavender oil to treat burns. At the request of the men also some meat. Since fishing is so ridiculously easy here, no one has bothered to go hunting. That means our children have never actually eaten meat. I'm curious to see how they like it. In addition, Nettel also brought us two huge boxes of onions (the good ones from Wyndmoorcross, of course) and, to my delight, five chickens. They are still very young and will probably only lay eggs in a few months. The same day we quickly built a makeshift chicken coop next to the old warehouse. It is too wet and too cold for larger construction projects at the moment, so the chickens will have to be satisfied with this temporary solution until spring. Oh, how happy I am with the prospect of eggs!

The Thomson and Taylor families also insisted on building an interim storage facility for the "Thomson and Taylor - Textile Company" here. Certainly an emotional rather than a strategic decision. Our island is relatively easy to get to from Wnydmoorcross by boat and there would be no taxes or rent, but it is otherwise not close to any major commercial centers. Quite the contrary. The reason why this island is so unknown is because all the important places, indeed all other known places, lay in a completely different direction. Nobody usually gets lost here and ships that venture out into the open sea beyond Wyndmoorcross never return. I therefore suspect that this interim storage facility is more a connection between parents and their children. And everything that connects us to the outside world should be right for us at the moment. But here, too, construction cannot begin before spring.

10. December
Winter is wet and cold. If the weather permits, the children spend a lot of time with the chickens. The animals are new and exciting for our darlings.
I gave our visitors a letter for my parents when they left in late October. It will take a while for this letter to make its way to Glaster. How will my parents react? On some nights these thoughts rob me of sleep.

Lot of Text, im sorry :)

Nilla

banishedsanni

Artfactial

Yes, this is wonderful to read, the texts are long but you don't waste a word!
Very curious to see where the town will go.:)

banishedsanni

11. March
Who would have thought that everyday life can be so dangerous? As every year, we prepare the fields and sow the seeds in March. While Miliss was preparing the sunflower field for sowing together with the children yesterday, I helped the men in the large fields. It was actually nice. The sun was shining and spread a good mood. Winstonewall was happily whistling with a wheelbarrow in his hands to get another load of compost from the pile behind the shed and Norwoodie and I took the opportunity to joke suggestively together while we were working until we laughed so hard that we had tears in our eyes . Norwoodie gave me a loving pat on the butt and ,still laughing, turned to the garden claw to dig up the earth. He stumbled over his spade, which he had carelessly thrown on the ground during our flirting, and landed unfavorably with his right arm outstretched in the dirt. I could hear the arm breaking. Since then, Norwoodie can't help us with work. Oh my dearest darling! It will take a few weeks to heal for sure! I cannot have Miliss do the household of 10 people alone and I am not as strong or skilled as my husband. We will all do our best in this situation, but unfortunately some work has to wait. First of all, the fields and thus our food supply have priority. The chickens will not get a bigger barn for now, but they are so used to us now that we can let them out of the barn during the day without worrying about them running away.

11. May
Norwoodie has had his arm sling off for a few days and I think he should be able to put a full load on his arm again in a week or two. The chickens are finally laying eggs! The children ate eggs for the first time in their lives. They like it a lot. We have decided not to build a large chicken coop for the time being and to leave the provisional for the time being. Since we let the chickens roam freely during the day anyway and they only go to sleep in the coop at night, we see no reason at first. And none of the chickens has complained yet...

11. July
We had just started harvesting onions when a ship approached the Thomson & Taylor Textile Company. Miliss or Winstonewall's parents were not on board, but they had sent loving letters. However, there was no letter from my parents. Haven't they received my letter yet or maybe they didn't want to write to me at all? Had they given up on me?
The ship also had loaded various materials to build the warehouse. But not enough. The ship was about half full of goods it had picked up in Wyndmoorcross and would deliver elsewhere on the way back from our island. The smaller part of the hold was filled with the materials. So there would have to come another ship.

11. August
This morning a fox, marten or something similar stole one of our chickens. We were woken up when the chickens made a lot of noise. We quickly got dressed to check on the noise. But all we found was four chickens screaming instead of five, and a few bloody feathers on the floor. From now on we will throw a net over the enclosure at night. Norwoodie has also designed a large candlestick that uses the light of a large beeswax candle to cast irregular and flickering shadows on the floor and on the walls of the house all night long. We hope that scares off the chicken robber.

banishedsanni

11. October
Rihann, Dandro and Since are really too old to play with building blocks. The three are now allowed to go alone in the forest. Not too far from our settlement, of course.
Since it will be too wet, cold and uncomfortable to romp around in the forest in autumn and winter, we have built a small house for the children next to the sunflower field. There they can pursue their own small projects in the harsh months. We will also move the daily school hours from the kitchen to this house.
Oh, they are growing up so quickly! The three are of great help to us in our daily work. Rihann and Dandro love to bake together. So the two of them have been baking for all of us for some time. "Since" in turn loves our chickens and takes care of feeding and mucking out the chicken coop. This gives us adults more time for other things.
But what I like best is the atmosphere in the morning. I can hear When "Since" and Rihann crawl out of their beds, get dressed and then wake up their little sister Reathalia and help her get dressed. Then all three quietly sneak down the stairs and go into the kitchen. There they meet Dandro, Lessandria and Thomasa and together they prepare breakfast. I can hear the soft clatter of plates and cutlery, which are carefully placed on the large table, and the chattering of Reathalia and Thomasa, who at four and five years of age sometimes forget to be soft-spoken. I hear Rihann put a pan for the preparation of scrambled eggs on the stove and the clatter of the fork with which Dandro mixes several eggs in a bowl before they end up in the pan. Every day I enjoy that moment, when I am not yet fully awake, dozing and snuggled up against norwoodie - glad to be able to stay in bed for a moment longer, not to have to worry about breakfast and proud of the independence and that Children's commitment.
The bustling bustle is followed by a brief moment of calm, then softly pattering on the stairs before the door to our bedroom opens and the children lovingly wake us up. I love that and I know that Miliss and Winstonewall feel the same way on their side.

11. December
Another chicken less! This time the robber dug himself under the fence. Unbelievable! We absolutely need to build a sensible chicken coop. But that will only be possible in spring. Until then, the chickens are locked up in the warehouse at night, on the side wall of which is the makeshift hen house. We hardly use this warehouse anymore anyway and have prepared a small corner for the chickens. Unfortunately, this also means that the chickens will not come outside without us and will always have to wait until we open the door for them. They are usually up much earlier than we are. Poor chickens. But there is no other way at the moment.

12. April
We started building a sensible chicken coop. He is said to be behind the blueberry field. We want to let the chickens out on the field during the day so that they can eat the vermin and keep the soil free of weeds through their scraping. It is a test run. I am excited to see how successful Miliss' idea is.

12. June
Yesterday the second batch of building material for the interim storage facility arrived here by ship. Construction of the warehouse can now begin. The ship's crew had been instructed by the headquarter to stay here for a week or two to help us build it. With so many helping hands, the construction should go ahead quickly. The visit of so many strangers is of course incredibly exciting for the children.

As if June wasn't exciting enough, another ship arrived about a week later. We don't have that many moorings. We had to improvise a jetty spontaneously. The ship was smaller but significantly more pompous than the large ship and sailed under the flag of the city of Wyndmoorcross (brown onion on a white background). When we greeted the newcomers, we were astonished. It was Nettel and next to him stooda handsome young man who introduced himself as the official representative of the city state of Wyndmoorcross. The rumor that there is a small settlement on a previously unknown island far from any trade routes and known civilizations has reached the highest levels of the Wyndmoorcross government. What was initially dismissed as a baseless, insignificant rumor within the government turned out to be the truth, based on research by a curious government secretary (and apparently also a hobby detective in her spare time). So Nettel was tracked down, quoted in the head of state's office, and, on the basis of his report, was ordered to lead a ship to our island with an official representative.

The children greeted and hugged Nettel cheerfully but Norwoodie, Miliss, Winstonewall and I exchanged worried looks. Do they want to banish us of from here? Annex our island, our home? The young official seemed to interpret our look correctly and raised his hands soothingly. The city of Wyndmoorcross would have enough to do with managing itself. But you would always be looking for more buyers for their - I quote - "onions of incomparable quality" (Wyndmoorcross is really proud of its onions). So they sent a ship and a representative to get to the bottom of the matter. It is obvious, so the young man, that our settlement is still very small and insignificant at the moment. But since further rumors say, that the "Thomson & Taylor" Company seems to be interested in this place and plans to build a cwarehouse here - which is confirmed by the presence of the other ship - the young man expects our settlement to grow rapidly and hence an increasing demand for onions is to await. Gosh ... is onions really all they think of in Wyndmoorcross? Whatever. In any case, we were relieved that they don't want to banish us of from here. We led the young official through the settlement and he took some notes.

Our kitchen is big enough to cook for four adults and six children. However, it is much too small to cater for two ship crews. So the men spontaneously set up a larger campfire outside in the garden and built a cooking grate over it by a simple construction, on which we roasted fish and various vegetables. We didn't have enough tables and chairs for all of the people but it was a warm June evening and so many just sit on the lawn or on the edge of my herb garden. Some of our visitors had taken on the task of the grill master and the children felt called to happily walk through the crowd with plates and jugs to distribute food and herbal tea. Nettel and the city representative sat with us at our large kitchen table, which we had carried into the garden and we chatted relaxed. At the end of the evening, when many made their way to their cabins on the ships and the children were already sleeping in our arms, the city representative also rose. He thanked us for our hospitality and promised to send a ship to replenish the groceries we had used tonight and that we would use for breakfast tomorrow to cater for everyone. Before he made his way to the ship, he wanted to know what our settlement was actually called. There was an awkward silence for a moment. What was the name of our settlement? Up until now we always had only spoken of our glade. Reathalia, who was carried by Norwoodie, yawned, rubbed her eye with one hand and muttered "Poppyglade", then cuddled up in her fathers neck again and instantly fell asleep. And before one of us could say anything, the city representative had noted this name, said goodbye politely and disappeared into the night. Winstonewall shrugged his shoulders grinning and laughingly we all went inside. When we were finally in bed and I cuddled yawningly at Norwoodie, I felt his smiling mouth on my ear: "Welcome to Poppyglade!" he whispered and then we fell asleep happily.

Wohoo, finally. Since I started the map i thought about how to make it officially Poppyglade and till today it was always only "the glade" or the "the poppy glade".
A lot of text again ... and in relation to it the settlement has hardly grown. Good things want to have a while, I guess? I have plans, so stay tuned!

banishedsanni

12. Juli
Still in June, about a week after Nettel and the city administrator had left, we were able to complete the construction of the camp. The warehouse is currently more than half full. The "Thomson & Taylor Company" had bought a huge amount of linen at an extraordinarily low price from a competitor who had gone bankrupt. Since it is not possible to process or resell this enormous amount immediately, the linen is temporarily stored in the new warehouse in order to keep more important storageds free for other goods.

12. September
Three chickens just don't lay enough eggs for ten people. That is why we gave the last ship, which had unloaded another load of the cheaply bought linen, a letter for Nettel asking for a few more chickens (and maybe even a rooster?). In exchange for supplies, of course.

In September, Nettel moored with a magnificent sailing boat. He had his wife, his two children and his parents on board. The city of Wyndmoorcross had instructed him to stop by at least twice a year and provided him with this sailboat. The journey here was of course much faster and easier than with the rowboat. Since there was also enough space now, he took his parents to the place that was still so special for them after so many years. Nettel's children were seven and nine years old and no sooner had they set foot in our clearing and greeted us than were all the children up and away to play. We strolled comfortably with Nettel's family through our settlement and when we put the three chickens and the one rooster that they had brought for us into the chicken coop, the children were also full of curiosity. Together we watched the new poultry explore the unknown environment for a while and the elderly poultry eyed the newcomers. When the curiosity of the children was satisfied and they were romping around in the empty fields, we helped Nettel's family to unload some supplies that Wyndmoorcross had given Nettel as compensation for the catering for the ship crew in June. The chickens should be part of this compensation and so we didn't have to pay them. Nevertheless, we gave Nettel's family some honey and smoked fish as thanks.

When we watched the sailboat for a while after they left the next day, it was as if we had said goodbye to summer.

12. November
The weather in autumn was uncomfortable, wet and hardly gave us sunny days. Two of the chickens that Nettel brought us in September are already laying eggs. The third seems to be a little younger than the other two newcomers, but this chicken will also soon lay eggs. I'm looking forward to.

Artfactial

Hey, I haven't found the time to sit down and read about your village in a while but made time this morning and am all caught up now.:)

You are so good at making fine, detailed locations that still feel lived in, very inspiring.
Your journal style reads so much nicer than my formal town reports, I really hope I can get some more personal sides of my town's story in soon.
Love the fields and stone fences, it's something I'm planning on doing for my town as well, as it's very characteristic for the area.

Yay, Poppyglade is official!^^
Hope there is more to come.

banishedsanni

Real life is keeping me busy at the moment so i just dont have the energy to write the story. But i plan on continue it soon.

Artfactial

Yeah, same here.
It requires the right mindset to give these projects the attention they deserve.

Take your time and take care.