News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Hudson on Hudson Bay - Story 49

Started by Abandoned, October 20, 2019, 09:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 12

In early spring of year 12 we traded for apples and herbs at the fort trading post.  Surely our poor health would improve.  Hunters and trappers who came regularly to the inland trader began to arrive.  As we feared, we were short of trade goods, the regulars had to wait quite awhile for trade goods to be brought to the trader. We were short of laborers considering the distances they had to travel.  Shad, the worker at the beaver dam, complained that some laborers were using the dam as if it were a bridge.  A few of the beavers already left to build a third dam a short distance upstream.

We began taking furs out of the trading post to move them to the warehouse.  It was slow going.  Amala was working alone at the 3 main trading posts and even though the warehouse was fully staffed with 3 workers there were still 244 furs in regular storage.  The warehouse had only 368 of the need 1,000 furs in stock by summer.  Traders continued to come and go, we traded for corn, wild oats, and more herbs.  Amala said she needed more help restocking the 3 trading posts so her husband, Elmerson, became a trader too.  We would traded away only a minimum number of furs until the warehouse quota was fulfilled, we traded goose down, leather, and hide coats instead.  We placed orders for more iron for tools and pots, and ordered wool for blankets.  We needed those furs the inland trader brought in.  By autumn we really felt as if we were an important trade center.

By late winter, there were 608 furs in the warehouse.

Abandoned

Chapter 13

As soon as the ice melted in early spring of year 13, our inland trader and ports were busy places.  We traded for iron and wool and whatever grain and fruits were brought to port.  The herbs were not improving our health.  Our food surplus was high but we had no spare workers for the market carts so there was a good possibility that not everyone was getting the variety of foods they needed.  By late winter not only had our health not improved, it actually dropped, and we still did not have enough furs in the warehouse.

In spring of year 14, our health was still poor and we again did not have enough trade goods when the trappers arrived with their furs.  We needed those furs to fill our quota.  We could only wait for one of the resource merchants to bring iron and wool.  Perhaps we could have done things differently.  We could have captured a few mountain sheep and built an animal shed for wool to make trade good blankets with.  We could have built an iron mine to make tools and trade good pots with.  We could have built greenhouses to improve our diets and our health.   But we were not miners, herdsmen, or farmers; we were hunters, trappers, and traders, and as such, we had done good here in Hudson.

Abandoned

Chapter 14

Yes, we have done good here in Hudson on Hudson Bay.  In summer of year 14 we have 68 citizens, 38 adults, 10, students, and 20 young children.  Their health and happiness is not as good as could be but considering the adverse climate, it could be worse.  The main part of town is a thriving trade center and there are hunters and trappers to the west and hunters and trappers to the east.  Where the river flows into Hudson Bay is Fort Hudson with a small trading post and a warehouse that we filled with 1,000 furs as requested.  The big ship returned to pick up the furs and sailed away with billowed sails.  It will return at regular intervals to pick up more furs.  We are now a vital part of the Hudson Bay Trading Company.

So, weary traveler, your welcome to stay.  The cold mountain climate is not so bad.  As you know, we have beautiful soft fur coats to keep us warm outside.  Inside the windows are covered with sturdy hides to keep out the cold, and warm wool blankets cover our beds.  We have bear skin rugs to cover the floors and big fireplaces with iron cook pots of soups and stews and roasted meats.  But you still have time before the winter snows to enjoy some beautiful autumn sunsets and to decide to whether to stay or to go.  We hope you will stay in Hudson on Hudson Bay.

The End

kid1293

taniu

Abandoned

Kristahfer

Once again @Abandoned you have brought to the screen a wonderful story. You and @kid1293 are showing us the depth that is hidden beneath the surface of this game. Using this game as a way of presenting a beautiful map build with a story along with it is captivating to both old hand players and new explorers just venturing into what is available.

I wonder if the original author of this game ever imagined where the players and artists who create such wonderful content would take this game. Even with limited areas that allow modification within the code your skills shine. It is a shame that the original author discontinued working on this game, really a shame. Just imagine what could be created if the game was used to provide an Enhanced Engine that allowed a much greater depth of modification. The author could spend their creative skill in providing a Realistic Engine. By providing such a bedrock to build upon could really take modifiers beyond limited actions to a level of creative tools that would draw creators to the game to show off their skills. In doing it would broaden the player base, something game authors are always looking to increase. Artists could show off their creations and build a resume of their skills to other game authors.

I can not thank you enough for allowing me to "live your stories" and use the added content they highlight.

Kristhafer

Abandoned

:) You are welcome @Kristahfer .  Sometimes a mod inspires the story and sometimes the story inspires the mod.  This time it was your request for Hudson Bay story that inspired both.  :)  Thank you.

I often hope that the game developer, Luke, visits this site and sees how many players and modders are still enjoying his game.  When the game first came out I was very glad I could play it on this laptop, I could not run it on my old desktop.  I have not check recently on the development of Luke's new game.  More often than not, new versions of games have requirements beyond what original game did, we will have to wait and see.  I think Banished will be played for many years to come.  :)