News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-testing RK Editor Choice beta 12

Started by Nilla, April 02, 2018, 03:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

That other thread was long, so I decided to start a new.

This time I might have "taken the mouth fuller than I can chew". I thought about playing without schools or without trade and was stupid/bald/overconfident (take what you want) to choose both. I've forgotthen how hard this is. I've done it before in a vanilla game, as I made all achievements on one map, even without farming. But in that game, I made it much wiser; I let the settlement grow very slow. Here it's much faster and I guess it will "break" my neck. I've been thinking of start it over, at least from an early save, but it's bin a while, since I had to reestablish a population that I killed, and that's fun, too.

I'll show you some pictures with the initial progress. WARNING! Not recommended to copy, if you play without schools and trade. (unless you like problems)

First picture

I've cut in the settings in the low right corner. Only RKEd, no other mod.

1 year gone. A few children were born and the settlement have 21 inhabitants. Everyone has a home, except the young Jarvid. He's insulted, while I kicked him out of the second house I I've built. He wanted to stay there alone, 10 years old. I wanted a whole family instead. But he'll calm down. The Bannis were very diligent building. There's a lack of........ everything.  :P :-\

Second picture

3 years gone; 30 inhabitants. The situation on supply and material has improved. Maybe this is the only screenshot, where's there's no lack of anything.  ;D

Third picture

4 years gone; 40 inhabitants. The picture shows the whole settlement. I lied a bit, when I said; no trade. I've built one small trading port for seeds and animals. There's a lack of building materials. You can see, that I'm building only colorful houses, not every color, only those I like (there will be no purple roofs in this settlement) ;). You can also see that there's one menu from a house open. That's part of my strategy for the beginning. Uneducated are terrible blacksmiths and tailors. I plan to produce as much tools and clothes as possible as long as I have some educated. I keep an eye on the blacksmith (and tailor, when I have material enough to run it) that not a 10 year old is keen on practising one of these crafts. These 4 houses in this blacksmith, tailor chopper area are occupied by the initial families.

Fourth picture

7 years gone, 65 inhabitants. The settlement grows quite fast but far from as fast as possible. I´ve managed to build a lighthouse, so I've cut in the menu from the population. You can see; 30 families but "only" 17 homes. This is after the small bugfix. The wells now produce water. The Bannis in this settlement seem very fond of it. I had to build a second to have enough water to make perfume. I can't afford to sell much firewood, so perfume is more or less the only payment. You can see the content in my stores. I have no seeds yet, so it's a good mixture of what you can expect in the store of a settlement without farming.

Two questions @RedKetchup; the merchants who come to this port don't accept food or herbs. Is that intentional? In a vanilla trading port you can buy seeds from the general trader with these goods. I would have liked to sell some herbs but it works this way, too. No complain, just a question. You can see the population is healthy, even when I have no grain and no herbalist. Is this the honey. Is it still the "super food" of several food categories? (That second question was more a complain ;) )

I have more screenshots. I played a while yesterday. I'll show them later.

RedKetchup

i like your numbers, seems to still doing good :)

Quote from: Nilla on April 02, 2018, 03:29:56 AM
Two questions @RedKetchup; the merchants who come to this port don't accept food or herbs. Is that intentional? In a vanilla trading port you can buy seeds from the general trader with these goods. I would have liked to sell some herbs but it works this way, too.

in vanilla the seed vendor and the livestock vendor never accepted herbs and food. only the General Goods merchant accept those. And it stayed that way. I never changed it.
should I ??
should I allow people to get seeds and livestocks in this particular seeds trading post with food and herbs ?

Quote from: Nilla on April 02, 2018, 03:29:56 AM
You can see the population is healthy, even when I have no grain and no herbalist. Is this the honey. Is it still the "super food" of several food categories? (That second question was more a complain ;) )

bah you have vegetables, you have fruits, you have meats ... and the honey count for grain only.
so you have them all :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Quoteshould I allow people to get seeds and livestocks in this particular seeds trading post with food and herbs ?

It doesn't really matter to me. It's alright the way it is, but I wouldn't mind, if you could sell what you like, for seeds and animals as well. It was more a question to think about. In my game it seems like there are a lot of animal merchant but very few selling seeds. The very first, year 3 (?) brought watermelon seeds but I hadn't enough goods to buy it. It took until year 9 to get lime seeds, year 12 to get corn and year 16 to get potatoes.

Quoteand the honey count for grain only.

That explains the health. In some other mods, I think it's fruit. But in fact, I would prefere it to be food, without category, like your water. In that case, I wouldn't mind the high production from the apiary.

I wanted to show more pictures yesterday but other things got in the way and in the evening I wanted to continue the game. Here are some impressions from how it has developed.

First picture

9 years gone, 79 inhabitants. Finally a seed merchant and he brought lemon seeds. A tree! The seed I wanted the most! :) If you look at the store of logs and firewood, there´s no big surplus. At this moment this is the big problem: If I build something, there's not enough logs for firewood (even if I use all the thatch as well) and if I want a small store of firewood, I can't build anything.

One thing is clear here and on all of the following pictures; after the first year, there has never been any problem to get enough food............. but more or less everything else is difficult.

One question @RedKetchup; I haven't found anything about the heat economy of the colorful houses. My feeling is that they need less firewood than a woodenhouse but more than the NMT houses. A number would be nice, just to estimate, if it pays off to go for the more expensive houses.

Second picture

11 years gone, this one is without menus, just because you once said you like the pictures best that way, @RedKetchup. It shows my strategy to get more logs: plant orchards, let it grow, harvest fruit once, cut orchards, harvest logs, replant.

Third picture

13 years gone, 140 inhabitants. Finally some corn. "My orchard trick" hasn't fully paid off, it takes time for trees to grow. It's good that way, but at least I could build a mine for iron ore and some NMT buildings. My educated blacksmiths were diligent and there are some tools in the store..........

....... I thought.........

Fourth picture

16 years gone, 183 inhabitants. I saw it coming but didn't have means to stop it. Tool less people; no fun, but rather no tools than no firewood. So my priority was on producing enough firewood. To establish a production of sufficient tools with uneducated workers had to wait. I couldn't organize enough logs for both at the same time.

Fifth picture

One more year, tool crisis got worse. I wasn't sure, how this would end. I remembered the early days, as I started to play Banished; if I got a tool crisis, it was normally the beginning of the End (if you understand what I mean) hard to recover, if no friendly merchant brought a boat load of tools..... and he will not save me this time.

But thanks to the orchard logs, firewood is under control (or at least I hoped, that the toll-less chopper still could make enough firewood)

I'll think I'll stop here for now; perfect cliff hanger. More will come. :)

RedKetchup

np :)

first floor :
ResidenceDescription lhresidence
{
   int _maxApartments = 1;
   int _maxOccupants = 5;
   float _temperatureForFuel = 50.0;
   float _fuelPerResource = 80.0;
}

2nd floor :
ResidenceDescription lhresidence
{
   int _maxApartments = 1;
   int _maxOccupants = 6;
   float _temperatureForFuel = 50.0;
   float _fuelPerResource = 90.0;
}

so yeah 1st floor is better, almost a stone house.
2nd floor equal a stone house :)

1st floor allow 2 adults 3 children, while the 2nd floor allow 4 children.
i wish not live on the 1st floor lol

RedKetchup

hmmmm uneducated toolless bannies... should be very brutal :D ( sound toothless ^^)

too many laborers lol

Nilla

Brutal! yes that's the right word. If anyone finds Banished an easy game, give the advice to use this mod and play without schools and normal trading ports. ;)

But I  can now confess, that after some calculations, I've given up the no school part. I don't like the consequences. It might have worked, but not the way I want to and I don't think, it would give any good information about this mod. It was a funny attempt, that I barely managed to get through.

I looked into my production sites and found this: each iron mine produces about 200 iron ore every year (less if the miners have no tools). From that you can make 100 iron from which you make 100 tools. With all these miners; about 190 adults needed 350 tools the last year. So with 4 full mines I can produce enough tools, but I will not continue like this and build another mine each time the population grows with 50-60 adults. And 10% of the whole population as miners :( No fun!

Educated miners produce at least 25% more. I have no numbers but say 250 iron ore, that gives 250 iron and 500 tools; 5 times as much as uneducated! One mine would have been enough for quite some time.

So, I have built a school and also played a few years. I even saw an educated blacksmith in one of the foundries. It was very obvious how the amount of iron suddenly increased! :) I will continue without (normal) trading port.  I think it could give you some useful information about how the changed production numbers work @RedKetchup, when you really need to produce everything yourself.

First picture

You made a comment about the many laborers @RedKetchup. In this game it's deliberate. First I use many farmers to harvest times and use to close orchards after the harvest and I need many laborers to get logs, iron ore and stones from far away. But I never sent anyone this far! I just looked; 16 people died between late summer and early winter year 19. It was 12 laborers, 1 miner, 1 blacksmith and 2 children. I can't understand what they were doing here up in the north. As I said; I didn't find one marked tree or stone on the wrong side of any river or stream and it's also  too many people during a too long time for that.

Has anyone any idea what might have gone wrong?

Second picture

I've cut in some graphs to illustrate, that except for food, it's been pretty tough. The lack of tools was interesting. Three of four times 30-50 people were out of tools at the most, but after a while, things were sorted out and everyone had a tool again until next drop. Seems like "everyone" wanted a tool to the same time. But if I looked into the statistics, also these bad years, I produced about the same number of tools as was used.

Third picture

Here again, just an impression from my town. You can see my school, but also that I'm just building my second graveyard. We discussed this in my last game and @Denis de la Rive was quite upset, that I didn't built any. But in that game I expanded fast, every youngster could move out fast. The happiness was alright. Here, it's different. I have built too few houses for a long time. Many young people still lives at their parent's, when one parent dies of old age. They will 100% lose all stars except that last one. It's also very unlikely, that they can recover any stars. That only happens, if an unhappy person can move out very young. So, if I like it or not; in this settlement we need a couple of graveyards.  :-\

Didn't you say something about adding your "Creepy Graveyard" to this mod @RedKetchup. That one is more fun.  ;)

RedKetchup

did you got nomads in this game ? are these fresh citizens ?. i think you said it is 2nd time it happends... is it same map ?
did you got small/medium/tiny barns made in this game ?

Nilla

I've taken nomads once in this game. They found their way into the town. It was to a time between these two occasions on the same map.

This reminds me a bit about what I call the "freezing bug". I've given games up because of that damn thing before. I found this blog: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=980.msg18361#msg18361

In other games it has always been a building to which people are running. Here it doesn't look like that; or maybe there would be after all: This is a bugged map. As I've said, the merchant turns around after his visits, goes to the end of the map, turns again and pass the port a second time (without stopping) before he leaves. This is also a known bug. So there must be "something wrong with the coordinates" of this map. Maybe all these people were on their way to this "bugged building" but they too, lost their way and somehow landed on a spot where they can't get away. A combination of two different bugs.

To me it's the only explanation, that makes sense. I'm open to other suggestions. But all the same. I will not go on with this map.

I started a new game yesterday evening but didn't play long. I don't know what's wrong with my games?; I lost one child in an unusual way here too, at least unusual after the very first patch of Banished. Those of you who have played Banished this long remember the death marches and the lost children: here it appeared again.

@RedKetchup do you miss the first days of Banished and is that the reason you have recreated some of these early "specialties?"  :P ;)

Anyhow; after this I shut the game and watched some TV!  :-\  Even if @irrelevant isn't that active on this page anymore, someone else might recognise the quote in the name of the picture.

RedKetchup

he probably tried to get the other side of the creek, just in front of your sand pit ^^ but turned around when he saw the night was coming ^^

Turis

@Nilla Did you lose a child? The Woods are full of dangers.

Nilla

Quote from: Turis on April 04, 2018, 08:21:10 AM
@Nilla Did you lose a child? The Woods are full of dangers.

mean men disguised as harmless animals........... or what?

Turis

RedKetchup

nilla , do you still have that save with the 15 starving people ?

Nilla

No, sorry, only about a year after and quite a long time before. But I have one with 28 starving in the left corner. They are all ex-nomads, I took a couple of months ago. You can see, that they are not stranded nomads; they all have clothing and tools. Some of their children are still in the village. My guess is that they are lost on their way to clear the land around the thatch farmer I've built just norht of the village.

The first time it happened, I hadn't taken any nomads at all before and they were lost on the very north part of the map(there's a bridge now)

Nilla

I did continue the game with the lost child. Nothing weird has happend since. The game runs smooth and nice. I will not trade anything in this game; trying to fill the map and see how many people a small map can support without any "input".

You have made some interesting changes in the production numbers @RedKetchup, that indeed will make this kind of game, without trade easier. If you want to play a game where the population is supported mostly using trade, it will be much harder, than it was. As I said; interesting tweak. Without really testing, I think this more balanced. In vanilla Banished, it's too cheap to buy a lot of things; a large trade based economy is way easier to manage than a self supporting.

I have no numbers yet, a part of the population is uneducated. I've taken nomads a couple of times without any problems at all. The one dull thing is maybe, that all my villages look pretty much the same. I simply like the sandbricks the best; nicest to look at, (it's mainly the brick roofs, that I like better than any other kind of roof and roofs "make" the over-all-look of the settlement). These houses have the best heat economy, I find, it's easier to make brick, than to produce stones (or maybe not anymore, maybe I'll try some stone NMT houses as well, those with the green roofs are also pretty nice.) Anyway, I will not replace the colorful houses, even build the one or other new in more isolated locations, as a small variation.

I'll show some pictures, just impressions. I started yesterday with a name and I will continue this series, until it gets too hard. (I have my doubts, that it will reach the end) Maybe some of you, who was young in the 1970s know, what I'm trying to do. If not, it's a way to amuse myself. ;)  ;D

Edit: I see the name of the second picture went missing; too long or maybe the ´? It´s called "I´m in love with my cart".

I also forgot, that you asked about different stores in that other game. Again I´ve forgotten to look, but on this picture you can see, that I use to build stores of every size (3 different just on this picture), so I likely have them all in that other game, too