News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-testing the North6

Started by Nilla, December 10, 2017, 04:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I can see the problems to make good recipes, that work at the beginning in a small production unit, like the campfire or farmers workshop as well as later in a tailor shop or even worse, if you think further to a smaller industrial unit. Just for my own education; this is the way I've understood that it works;
-if you make a product from a raw material, all production units have to use the same recipe
-if you can produce more than one product in the same site, the "speed" is always the same

If this is the way it works, I guess the easiest way is to introduce one more kind of clothing made of reindeer. The way it is now, doesn't work well in a medium size settlement like mine. I need to/want to process the reindeer hides to clothing, but I find, that a production of 30-40 each year from one plant is too low. By the way; now with the better logistics, I have a production just above 100 winter coats in my tailor shops. That's OK, so just increase the "speed" of production in the tailor shop, isn't a good option. It would need a total change of recipes and trading values. As you say @Tom Sawyer ; not easy.

I made a few more screenshots yesterday. Here is a part of that "production" with some thoughts and explanations.

First picture

This is one of my favourite buildings. I haven't tried it yet in the North6. I have a question; does it need ale or does it produce ale? And if it produces ale, does it need barley like the workshop or something else? I have looked at your Viki but haven't found anything about it.

One thought with building this inn, was that I wanted the boarding house function. I ran into a minor fuel crisis and planned to modernize the old houses, in order to need less firewood. In the upgrade time, I could let the people live at the inn. I have solved the crisis, so I haven't start any upgrade. I also have the estethic problem with the workshops/red houses, so if I can manage the fuel, I will not rebuild the village.

The fuel crisis came, because I made a couple of smaller mistakes. Yes, crises are generally a result of some mistakes. This settlement is very prosperous and sustainable, so a crisis like this can be handled. First I increased the tool production a bit too fast. The stores of charcoal became smaller, so a couple of more coaler and a few choppers were built. Just because I like the look of @kid1293 ´s woodmill I decided to build my second. But not until I started to wonder, what was placed among the bricks on the brickpiles, I realized, that it made lumber instead of firewood! With 3 workers! Several years! :P :-[ No wonder, that the amount of firewood and logs went down very fast.

The problem is solved: A couple of blacksmiths closed, firewood production in the mill, another forester. I also started a coalmine to see if coal can be used to replace some firewood. It's better than in a vanilla game, but I will only use this possibility, if I have a lot of unemployed workers. That's not the case at the moment. So this mine is closed for now. Maybe it can be useful later.

Second picture

I don't really need a bank yet, but there are actually a few spare coins and precious metals to store here and I do like the look, so I built it.

This nationalistic settlement doesn't take any new nomads, but it's a friendly place, that at least offers the tired wanderers a bench to rest at, before they move along. I guess some food packages and spare clothings will be offered, too.

Third picture

I added @embx61 production set. This "alien building" doesn't look alien at all. The windmill fits very well in the Nordic surroundings. If I have understood the "rules" for modding, it uses the same repice as the workplace, but it works much faster and produces a lot. 

Tom Sawyer

Yes, including a new coat would solve it @Nilla. But no idea how to name it without inventing an item just for technical reasons. Another solution would be a recipe to make 3 - 4 winter coats from 4 reindeer hides or to process hides into leather for modern use. A role playing explanation for slow work in current version would be that crafting parkas is actually a hunter skill and tailors do it rather occasionally without use of any tailoring tools. Anyway it needs a better solution for processing deer hides in modern age. :)

The tavern does not produce ale. It has to be made in a brewery or by farmers. Barkeepers roast meat and serve it together with ale. It has an improving effect on food production. The other option for a "drinking bout" is to run the tavern in a classic way. Barkeepers serve schnapps for happiness. I hope in future this will work with noticeable effect.

I did not test the EB production set yet but the windmill should work fine. If it can make flour from rye the adapting file works. And alien it's not. It's an original windmill from Copenhagen/Denmark and a must have add-on here. ;)

Turis

The mad cows has invaded Scandinavia chasing vikings everywhere thinking they're Bulls. Aren't the cows crazy?

Nilla

No, @Turis you must have been dreaming. The viking cows are gentle like lambs. Romours from the merchants, spread by the young boys in the settlement says, that the wild guys, (those who was afraid of the strong girls and didn't show up), have been talking about wild fighting bulls in their home countries. The boys tried to anger some of the Nordic bulls, but they couldn't understand the fun in fighting, so the boys were soon bored and went on with other, more successful mischief.

@Tom Sawyer , it might be a good solution to introduce some kind of leather processing site. It could take care of the rein deer hides and also the cow hides and make leather to use at the tailor shop for winter coats. We need an alternative to the workshops for the cow hides, too. I see the problem in introducing a second kind of rein deer coat. As you says, it would only be a technical solution of a "problem". It doesn't bring anything new to the game.

I don't know yet, if the EB windmill produces flour from rye. It has an option to chose rye, but I had a lot of wheat and very little rye so far. But I'm confident, that it will work. If you consider the size, the production is also reasonable. And you said it @Tom Sawyer ; unless you have a lot of streams for water mill(s), it's a "must" in a Nordic game. I also tried the bakery from this mod. It produces about the same as the small Nordic baking huts, so it had to go. It's nice, but I don't really think the "style" fits well in these surroundings. I just wanted to test and see, if there was any alternative products to bread. If I remember it right, if you use this mod in a vanilla game, there are some other options as well.

I've also built a salt works. The production isn't very high. Even with the maximum of 3 miners, it only produces a 200-300 salt each year. It's not bad and I think, that it's enough to make cheese in my 3 diary huts, but I would have liked, if it was possible to put more than 3 workers in it. If I want salt all (or at least a considerable part of) my meat and fish instead of smoking it, I would need to spam the mines.

If the windmill is a "must" and the salt works a "why not", rest of the buildings in the EB Production Set are a "no" to me. The bakery is OK, if you want some buildings in another style, but I really can't see any use of the leather works. There's simply not leather enough. I even have to buy some, to produce enough warm clothes for my population. In a Nordic game there's no leather left to only produce export goods. Maybe  in a very big settlement you could buy leather, sell the leather products and buy food for the profit, but normally; no. I'm not sure, but I think that @embx61 has separate versions of his buildings. In this case, I recommend only to load mill/bakery + salt mine in a Nordic game, instead of the whole Production Set. As it is now, the merchants offer useless pouches and saddles instead of goods I might need.

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 30, 2018, 05:55:09 AM
The tavern does not produce ale. It has to be made in a brewery or by farmers. Barkeepers roast meat and serve it together with ale. It has an improving effect on food production. The other option for a "drinking bout" is to run the tavern in a classic way. Barkeepers serve schnapps for happiness. I hope in future this will work with noticeable effect.

Thanks, I discovered this myself. I was a bit confused, because the menu of the tavern says "Roasted beef and Ale". Since it loaded beef and not roasted meat, I thought the tavern might brew the ale and the products was on the menu. Maybe you should change the menu to Beef/Mutton/Venison to be more consequent.

What do you mean with "improving effect on the food production". How does that work? To me it looks like it consumes ale and meat and produces roasted meat. Some of it go to the town, some stay in the inn and are consumed by the inhabitants one after the another, like ale in a brewery.

First picture

Again I only made one screenshot yesterday. It shows the salt work. It looks good among the Nordic buildings.

The population grows fast at the moment. I have started to delay the building of new houses; not a new a house for each girl who gets 16. I think the fast growth after some time, is also significant for a "real time aging mod". I don't know, if it's "worse" than in a "fast vanilla" speed, or if it's just an impression. Anyway it's manageable, at least so far.

Second picture

@Hawk , sorry ;) @Turis here's the proof; the Nordic cows are very peaceful. They can even grass together with the sheep. People like to take the shortcut across the pasture.

You can see the inventory. I buy bean, cabbage and bread (ordered) and most wheat, rye, fruit and sugar I can get without order.

Turis

They aren't "viking" cows. They're english mad cows who have never seen a bull in their lives. If you want, I'll sell you some spanish Bulls. They're quite aggressive. I'm sure they'll satisfy the mad cows so they'll leave your men alone.

Hawk

[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

RedKetchup

Quote from: Turis on January 30, 2018, 09:58:28 AM
They aren't "viking" cows.

no Mad Cow Kings ?

whats about the Cow level ?? ??
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Turis

Hey, I'm trying to make a business here! Shoo! Shoo! Come on! Go away! ;)

brads3

Nilla,are you having fun yet? trying to find buildings to fit and match with a unique settlement can be fun. my indian-mountian bannies have that problem too. even with more mods to choose from ,some of what i want to add doesm't fit well. we have to pick and choose. each modder has their own styles about them. some buildings work well with other mods,like EB's leather and KID's wild west. the plank lumber buildings don't work in the map i am on with the log and thatch buildings.it makes for a fun challenge.

i can't offer you a mill that will do rye.my mills can be picky at times.KID's colonial mod mill is similar to EB's but i am not sure it will take the rye. it does use oats, and the set has a small bakery and jam shop.for rye i like TOM's tjurko water mill.you don't want me to build any though. i build the wrong 1. won't use barley and forces you to build a specific bakery for cornflour.LOL

Nilla

These merchants are such gossiper, they have spread rumours, that our cows where crazy and never saw a bull in their lives!  :o A miracle; our herds grows from virgin births!  ;D They must know very little about animal breeding. So, everyone pay attention! Don't believe a word of what they say!

Now we got an offer to buy some foreign southern bulls. This has caused some discussions in the village. The young boys would love to have some aggressive bulls, to prove their courage on. Other people are afraid, that they can't walk across the pasture without fear anymore and don't want any new, probably mad bulls. Stela, the old wise herdswoman, who everyone listen to, when it comes to breeding and taking care of the animals said, that a couple of new bulls would be a good idea. She remembered the times, as the herd was small. Her parents has told, that the village once bought 3 cows and a bull from a travelling merchant and everyone of our big herds are the offspring of those animals. Fresh blood would do good. So unless the foreign bulls were too expensive, the merchant could bring a few. (These people are Västgötar, worse than Smålänningar when it comes to being stingy, @kid1293 knows what I mean)

Well, @brads3, combining dozens of mods isn't my way of playing. That's you, remember? ;) I like one style and if it's a larger mod, or a combination of a few fitting mods, that's all I need. I'm not the city builder-type, as you well know, even if I like beautiful buildings. I'm well aware, that others build much nicer than I do, but I like the look of the buildings fit to eachother, that's all. Here I add mods that " make sense".

What do I mean when I say, "make sense"?

It has to give something to the game, that I miss. These are the "aliens" I've used so far:

DS Wagon Vendor - the North has no small market, that could be built early, this is the nicest looking, most fitting small market.
EB Windmill - the one stream on this map is far away from the village and there's no other larger mill in the North. This mill is very nice and it do grind rye as good as wheat.
EB Salt Work- salt has to be imported if you play the North "pure". It's not necessary to use salt but is used for several products, that make sense.
Kid's Wind Saw Mill - this is "out of my concept", no special need for it. It would have worked as good with only small chopper, but I love this building. Like many of Tom's, it's made from a real model from my neighborhood.

I want to fill this map, so we will need a lot more houses. I would like some townhouses. The Bryggen houses from @Discrepancy are the one, that I find would fit the best. I don't know, if they work with the North, but I will try this mod next.

First picture

I'm a little concerned about the fast growth of the population. I have started to build less houses. My thoughts are explained with this picture. A girl who moves out, will get 3 children in a short time (at least as long as she has a husband). If she moves out early, (I'm sure Catritz did) she will be young enough to get more children, after the first "batch" has moved out and she will get another 3 babies. If every woman gets 6 children, the population will grow very fast. If takes a bit longer, like Mistina, she will be too old to get more than maybe one more child, after the oldest has moved out. When the children stays longer at home, there will also be no room for new baby siblings.

So my theory is; in a "real time aging" game staying a few years longer at home, brings a much lover growth. I will try to prove this theory.

Second picture

I had some trouble with my cow hides. They need to be made to leather to be used. The only place where this can be made is in a farmers workshop, that's designed to be attached to a "viking" log cabin. I don't build any of these anymore. They need to much fuel. And a workshop at a red house look bad. I need more workshops in the cattle area, so I made this test; attaching the workshop to a storage building. I find it looks good. And small old looking barns could be placed and are useful everywhere. :)

Turis

Here we have selected a fine example of a spanish bull for you to choose for all of your needs.

Nilla

After consulting the wise old lady, the village has decided that it doesn't need any Spanish bulls after all. Even if this one may come cheap, we must kindly reject your offer!

Turis

Don't tell me I fail to make you laugh?
I work really hard on this joke. I even ridicule myself by manipulating my picture. Now I'll have to work better and harder.

Nilla

I'll tell you a secret @Turis; I did laugh. But I don't mind, if you work harder. We viking descendants are difficult to impress! ;)

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .